Toy Barn, Dublin OH - PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM
TH996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Barn, Dublin OH - PPI?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After a 3 year Porsche hiatus, I am back in the market - this time for a 996TT. I'll post some pics as soon as I settle on one in the next days and weeks.

I was interested in a turbo being sold at the Toy Barn in Columbus OH.

Has any one dealt with them? Seemed like a solid outfit and a nice car. However, the TB refuses to let me organize a PPI off site. The car clearly has some aftermarket parts but TB does not have a complete list.

TB will only allow a cosmetic inspection from an inspectmyride.com type of service. The reasoning is that their cars had been returned with scratches and dings in the past. That seems strange (should be part of the cost of doing business maybe?) and I am not sure how they can sell high-end cars that way.

Any insight on the TB and their business practices would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

TH996
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't waiste your time if that is there attitude> They either don't care about what is important to you, perhaps an indicator of the after sales you can expect, or they have something to hide. Maybe some one has already walked away after a PPI and they are keen not to repeat, hoping you won't walk.

Just my 2 pence worth.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
TH996
Advanced

Thanks for your thoughts biglicks. I feel the same way. Looks like I'm not alone:

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Th...-review-16088/
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

with that feedback, I can only think of a line from the Holy Grail "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY"
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Walk...for this much money on a used Porsche there is no logical reason to not let any legitimate buyer perform a PPI at their cost and time. It took me several months to find the closest to right 996tt. I ended up buying from a private party and thank goodness I did in retrospect. I encountered the same PPI blocking with a couple dealers, and despite everything they said positive about the car, I walked. In one instance a dealer finally relented and allowed a PPI, the car needed $15k in repairs! I was out a few hundred for a PPI, but oh well. The other two dealers were also not disclosing the cars current cosmetic or mechanical condition. Again, PPI’s paid for in those instances too (i.e. water down the drain), but saved me from buying a long distance liability. Overall, my personal experience was that all dealers were pushing poor products. In the end I eventually found a decent private party who was accommodating and honest about the car, good and bad, so I had very few surprises after a clear PPI that verified the couple items needing attention. I believe owners care a bit more because they put in the time and effort into these cars. Most dealers only look to turn a quick buck. Just my 2 cents, and surely not all dealers are bad, but I’d try to find a good owner who put time and effort into a car with a known history. Even if it costs a couple grand more its worth the piece of mind. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
don johnson
Intermediate

I had a like experiance with a used car dealer....I was interested in a vehicle in another state and organized the local Porsche dealer, 5 miles away, to do a PPI and the used car dealer said no way. So I walked, I later learned that that vehicle had been in an undocumented wreck..... I say stay away, sounds like they have something to hide....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
farkas
AutoX

I am in Columbus Ohio and the TOY Barn is known for their overpriced cars. Haven't heard any complaints though...... They do have nice choice cars too......
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't risk it without a PPI. Perhaps you can get a good indy to go to them. If they object to that, then definitely walk.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be in Dublin the week of the 17th. I'd be happy to perform a thorough Rennfax for you.

I've looked at their cars before- nice stuff, prices are high as stated, and I've seen some paintwork on some examples. Not saying they claimed original paint, but just an observation.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Is this the Arctic Silver 2001 they have with BBS wheels, JRZs, etc?

If so, walk away from that one. I was interested and in contact with the guys at Foreign Cars Italia (Porsche dealer in NC) when they were selling this same car in June/July. After having the car listed for about a week, Foreign Cars ended up sending the car to auction where it was bought by "The Toy Barn". My salesman at Foreign Cars told me the car just needed too much work to be made "right" where Foreign Cars would feel good selling it, so they sent it to auction.

Toy Barn seems like a shady outfit given their PPI policy coupled with the negative reviews of them selling tainted cars and refusing to honor maintenance promises made pre-sale, etc.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

Sadly, the Porsche dealer is only two miles away!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to recall a few members in Dublin over on 6speeed. Colorinc perhaps? They would have good feedback on TB.

Have you done a google search on the VIN? That car seems to have been moving around A LOT.

I'll list it again so the next person can find this thread... WP0AB29912S687055
Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Run away if they won't allow an inspection. A honest dealer with nothing to hide will allow an inspection of an mechanic of your choosing.

Last edited by Dan87951; 09-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TH996
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After a 3 year Porsche hiatus, I am back in the market - this time for a 996TT. I'll post some pics as soon as I settle on one in the next days and weeks.

I was interested in a turbo being sold at the Toy Barn in Columbus OH.

Has any one dealt with them? Seemed like a solid outfit and a nice car. However, the TB refuses to let me organize a PPI off site. The car clearly has some aftermarket parts but TB does not have a complete list.

TB will only allow a cosmetic inspection from an inspectmyride.com type of service. The reasoning is that their cars had been returned with scratches and dings in the past. That seems strange (should be part of the cost of doing business maybe?) and I am not sure how they can sell high-end cars that way.

Any insight on the TB and their business practices would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

TH996
Bought an M3 from them 2 years back, no issues what so ever (albiet a bit high price, but good history etc). Not sure what were you trying to organize in terms of a PPI, but there's a MAG audi/porsche/vw literally down the street from them. I'm sure they'd have no issue taking it there.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM
TH996
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the great advice and insight into the Toy Barn turbo. It was indeed the 2001 with the JRZs and BBS wheels. All I asked was that one of their guys take the car to Auto Assets for a standard PPI. They said no dice. I walked. Simple as that.

I'll post pics of my new (to me) ride as soon as I get her home.

Quick Reply: Toy Barn, Dublin OH - PPI?