Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Default SpeedTech Exhaust Intro

Many Rennlisters know of SpeedTech and have purchased our products over the years. I have personally spoken to and know many of you - I appreciate the relationships we have enjoyed and would like to thank each and every one of you for your past support. A little background...I have been a Rennlist member since the 1990's when I was very active on the 993TT forum. My signature says member since 2001, but that is because the server failed in 2001 and everyones date was re-set to that year. I originally joined as John D and quickly had to add the II to my name, as I was being the confused with John Dunkle, the site owner at the time.

I recently decided to become a sponsor of the site and we have several fantastic products for the Porsche 996TT, as well as other models. The 996TT is my daily driver, so I have spent a great deal of seat time (123,000 miles since '02) testing and refining our 996TT products - needless to say, they are well tested. This is my 6th 911, over many generations of 911. We design Porsche exhaust products that we would chose for our own car and we are very particular about what we accept as a final product.

If you click on our testimonials link in my signature, you can get a feel for our reputation and you will probably recognize many names, such as Mike K pulling his front wheels off the ground after installing one of our exhausts. We all know it would never of happened had he not installed that SpeedTech exhaust :-) j/k...well maybe...

Anyhow, I'm here to provide as much help as I can in your modding adventures. I started out with just an exhaust, then a flash, then a suspension, then bigger turbos and tune, then even bigger turbos and a re-tune. I've done intake plenums, throttle bodies, motor mounts, Y-Pipes, intercoolers, etc. so I have "been there and done that" with a lot of mods, many of which I later improved and designed our own SpeedTech version after being disappointed with something I purchased for a particular upgrade. These improved mods are now SpeedTech everyday products.

We offer Rennlist member discounts on all our products and exhausts are our specialty. We can also offer an exhaust/flash bundle for a great price. If you do some research, you will quickly find a long list of very satisfied customers, some after trying 5 exhausts before settling on our X-cellerator cross-flow series. It is truly a phenomenal sounding system that is extremely comfortable to live with - I designed it for myself, then made it part of our line.

I will put up a few pictures of some of our popular 996TT items, the SpeedTech 2.5 "quiet" X-cellerator Exhaust w/ 100 cell Hi_Flow catalytic Converters being by far the most popular product we sell.

Feel free to call, PM or email me/us any time. Chad and myself are very familiar with the Porsche products and either of us can help you choose the proper product for your car. If you have the time, check out our facebook and you tube videos. Joining our facebook will keep you up to date on our new developments such as the 997.2TT exhaust we very recently designed and tested. And we still occasionally develop a new product for the 996TT.

Speedtech 2.5 X-cellerator Exhaust w/ 100 cell Hi-Flow Cats

Hi-Flow intake plenum w/ Hard Pipe Turbo Feed Tubes

2.5" x 75mm Y-Pipe

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 08-17-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I've always appreciated your informative posts.

A Speedtech exhaust is at - or near - the top of my wish list,and hopefully I'll be able to get one sooner rather than later. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one of John's 3" loud versions with 100 cel cats over a year ago. I still absolutely love the sound. I get compliments all the time, except from my wife, when I leave early and she's still sleeping.

Wonderful quality, sound and a reasonable price. My mechanic with over 30 years of p-car experience also complimented quality, fitment and sound.

Great work John.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Guys - I appreciate the kind words!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
Thanks, Guys - I appreciate the kind words!
John,
How would you compare the sound of your 3" loud and 2.5" quiet? For perspective, I currently have an AWE seperate left/right system with 100-200? cell cats. It was installed in 2006 and has 20K miles on them. The have a deep sound, with minimal drone, but I can't hear the turbo spool when revved at idle. I did buy your turbo intake pipes and love 'em.
David
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi David,

It's tough to put exhaust sound into words, but I will try. First of all, you will hear the turbos spool with either our 2.5 quiet or 3.0 loud systems, due to the 100 cell hi-flow cats and the straight thru muffler design (no baffles). The SpeedTech X-cellerator (X-Flow) systems are higher pitched by design and tend to drone much less than conventional, twin can systems which are "boomier" or "bassier", which is in effect drone. The 2.5 has virtually no drone, yet really screams at WOT. I love this combination and it remains my personal choice for my car. In a tunnel, at WOT the sound is just shocking and will leave anyone nearby stunned. Yet in the cabin, it's totally comfortable, no rattling, buzzing, etc. I would descibe it as an exotic, tuned sound - a lot like the 997 GT3, which has an awesome note to it.

The 3.0 is a louder than the 2.5 and has a much more raw, aggressive and deeper tone to it. It sounds angry at the world. Not over the top crazy loud, but there is no mistaking it means business. The turbo spool sound is more dramatic than the 2.5, it really whistles at idle and take-off. Once underway, it exhibits the trademark cross-flow sound that is highly regarded and at WOT, it sounds absolutely fantastic. Compared to the 2.5, it's louder, deeper, more aggressive and somewhat attention getting. Sort of a race car for the street type sound.

The 3.0 is a little more cup car sounding vs. the 2.5, which is more like a production 997 GT3 sound.

Below is a description from someone on the 997TT forum about our X-cellerator 2.5 quiet 997TT system - I think it is a fairly accurate description:

My partner has the quiet version in Greece, with stock tips (that does make a difference, its quieter).
I can tell you that its a completely different sound from my Europipe 1, if I can describe it its shriekier! The Europipe has more "bass" sound.

At WOT the Speedtech sounds amazing. Loud, but amazing. His car is tuned, so it starts off the line a bit quicker than mine... with my windows down, and his rear just ahead of my passenger window, it sounded like a racecar. Shriek till your ears hurt.

However from inside the car at speed, you dont realize how loud the exhaust is. Overall he is quite happy with it.

The comments just above that Nick made about the 2.5 are pretty right on - inside the car, you can hear it very well, but it's not bothersome or intrusive, it's kind of quiet. Outside it wails and you can hear it wailing from the drivers seat, but it doesn't overpower the cabin. You can enjoy the drive while hearing all the great sounds outside, knowing your car sounds awesome to others...

The 3.0 is all the same, except you do hear it more in the cabin and the exhaust sound becomes more involved in the cabin experience.

Bottom line, I have heard almost every 996TT exhaust made and I can assure you that the SpeedTech X-cellerator is a very special design with great manners. If I say any more it will sound too biased :-)

Here is a video comparing the two - it will give you an idea of the tonal difference.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by uschoice
John,
I did buy your turbo intake pipes and love 'em.
David
I remember - Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anyone looking for an exhaust/EPL flash bundle? Or just an exhaust?

We have another production run of our X-cellerator systems finishing up and we produced a couple of extra systems that can be shipped as either street (100 cell catted) or race (catless) versions. Normally these exhausts are made to order - right now there is an opportunity to secure one without the normal lead time...

Fantastic GT3 type sound and performance - check out our testimonials link to see what others are saying about these systems. 2.5 quiet or 3.0 loud - they both have great reviews for their intended uses!

Feel free to PM for advice on the best system for your needs and delivered pricing to your area.

Best Regards,

John

Last edited by John D II; 09-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

John what do these exhaust weigh?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Total system weight is about 28 lbs. with 100 cell cats, tips and all hardware (straps, V-Bands, clamps, etc.).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have a 2.5 "quiet" system we just completed that is available - great time to grab one without the normal build time.

We can pair it with an EPL flash and offer a special "bundled price" for the exhaust/flash package, if anyone is interested in an exhaust/flash bundle...

See our testimonials for member reviews on our systems and feel free to contact us for pricing details or any questions...

Have a nice weekend! NorthEasters, get ready for some snow!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic system. Top quality and easy to fit. I have the 2.5" Sport (with 3" tips) . It sounds great .

I am from UK and we have lots of choice over here but that system produce the best sound and very important too a really good flow.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a "normal" system on mine. I was finally able to hear it from the outside of the car last weekend at COTA (my cousin was co-driving it). The car sounds very aggressive under WOT, but nice and mellow while driving in the city. Very happy customer here.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Guys - I appreciate the kind words and hearing this type of feedback on our system!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 AM
zblake
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not an owner of this system yet, but I can confirm the top notch custome rservice on the pre-sale side. I'm on bubble right now and will probably be converting my Cargraphic system to Speedtech in the next couple months. Would really like to meet someone in the SF Bay area with one before I finalize on the size though......anyone......Z

Quick Reply: SpeedTech Exhaust Intro