Sponsored by:

Taillights w/ broken mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taillights w/ broken mounting points

Hi guys....I know I am about to get flamed about being a cheapass with a $100K car, but here goes! Has anyone come up with a cheap and easy "fix" for the broken 996tt taillights? I am talking about the issue of the plastic becoming brittle and breaking where the mounting screws attach them to the car. Mine are broken completely on both sides! Based on the poor design I expect I am not the only one who needs or will need this soon!

My dealer's tech would not pass me for my last track day because I had used duct tape to secure the taillights in place! (I am from Alabama!) They wanted $600 apiece to replace them! I ended up begging my way into the event by convincing the Tech Marshall that the taillights weren't going to come flying out at speed!

I hate the thought of spending money on something that still works! Let the flaming begin!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

How many miles on your car? The tail lights look beat up and abused.

Unless you can find some used tail lights, I'd suggest you just spring for new ones.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byron in MS
I hate the thought of spending money on something that still works!
I'd offer that they don't still work. It doesn't matter if the lights come on, you have to be able to secure the unit on the car. The tail light assembly doesn't work on your Turbo. It's broken.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Thanks Dock...70K on 2001 car.The pics make them look worse than they actually are. That's the goop from the Gorilla tape. I wish someone would come out with the LED's for the widebody cars!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen on one of mine. The plastic was really brittle and they broke when I went to screw them back in after changing a burnt out bulb.

I got some small nylon washers and epoxied them in place. I had to trim one side of each washer so that the hole was in the right place. It's held up quite well.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of Scots blood in me too, so there is no shame in trying to find a more affordable fix.

What about a few dabs of clear GE silicon caulking to keep it in place. This stuff is easy to cut through and remove, but once set is flexible and strong. Tape the light in place till the silicon sets up (about 24 hours).
Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Datura
What about a few dabs of clear GE silicon caulking to keep it in place. This stuff is easy to cut through and remove, but once set is flexible and strong. Tape the light in place till the silicon sets up (about 24 hours).
If saving money is the goal, just drill a few holes through the tail light lip and into the car, then use screws and washers. The added benefit is that there is no silicone to clean up every time you have to remove the tail light.

Me? It's a Porsche 996 Turbo; I'd just buy new tail lights. Duct tape and coat hanger wire is for old trucks.

Last edited by Dock; 07-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Just ordered LED taillights from eBay. Description and pics say 996 Turbo and C4S fitment. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Link?

Searching parts on Ebay I constantly find gross errors on applications. I think it has to do with their software where many 996 parts will be listed ad fitting a Turbo when in fact they do not. I hope you get your lights and I hope they fit.

Keep us posted as I know many Turbo owners have been waiting for LED tail lights for years. Hopefully they are finally available.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock

Me? It's a Porsche 996 Turbo; I'd just buy new tail lights. Duct tape and coat hanger wire is for old trucks.
Absolutely.

In fact I replaced mine before they broke- who wants to be driving around with brittle tail lights?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170886328539...#ht_5187wt_986
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron in MS
The application listing cannot be correct. A Turbo, GT2 and C4S take the tail lights with the mounting holes at the side near the engine lid. All others use the one pictured in the listing. I've seen the same applications for brakes, spoilers, exhaust and other components that I know are very different between a Turbo and other models.

Let us know when you get the part. If it fits, I'll be getting some.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

You are correct Nick, there is no way that these fit all of the applications that they list. The fact that they put the big NEW! banner across the front and actually used a pic of a Turbo on their listing got my hopes up. Like I said, got my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

When I placed the order for the LED taillights, I included a note requesting that they confirm the fitment for 996tt and pointed out that they could not fit both NB and WB cars. This morning I got an email saying they had shipped! I called the place and the guy I talked with, reconfirmed that these would fit by looking at the listing. Finally, I got an email from them tonight saying these would indeed not fit and were refunding my money!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam_
Absolutely.

In fact I replaced mine before they broke- who wants to be driving around with brittle tail lights?

I'm with Adam - I HATE the idea of brittle taillights. In fact I may replace my transmission because it could it get the 2nd gear pop-out issue someday....

Quick Reply: Taillights w/ broken mounting points