Sponsored by:

Taillights w/ broken mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Engineerboy100
I totally understand about not wanting any "patches" on your baby. For me somethings are just not gonna satisfy unless they are 100% authentic or OEM original, anything else and it's just gonna bug me just knowing it's there. Other things, I get peace of mind knowing it's better than stock and either protected or not as likely to fail like metal impeller-ed water pumps instead of OEM plastic....
Even if I were to replace my lights due to broken mounts with brand new oem lights, I would still add this product to save the mounts on my new lights. You can always easily remove them to bring your car back to "stock".
Old 01-31-2016, 01:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Even if I were to replace my lights due to broken mounts with brand new oem lights, I would still add this product to save the mounts on my new lights. You can always easily remove them to bring your car back to "stock".
Exactly, the mounts on my lights are still perfect and since I do 90% of the work on my car myself they will most likely that way, but I have seen so many 996s with cracked mounts I will buy these reinforcements to protect my current lights.

I can see buy their design that they can be installed and removed without damaging or even leaving a mark on the taillights so why not spend the $30 now as insurance against possible damage in the future? $30 is a small hedge to pay again cracking plastic that could cost you a thousand.

I did same thing with the hydraulic system for the rear wing. My OEM system was still functioning but I knew it was just a matter of time before it started to have problems so I bought a set of eRams from Dave and carefully packed the factory hydraulic system away in case I want to bring the car back to 100% original.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Goose996
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looking forward to ordering these. Great DIY vids, btw.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
My taillight mounts are not broken...none of them. My taillights are original, and are over 14 years old. If and when a mount breaks (and they may never break while I own the car), I'll buy another taillight unit.

Obviously, owners can treat their cars any way they want. What I stated above is how I treat mine.
How many purist owners have a non original IMS bearing kit? to save the engine??
Be honest Porsche as good as they are did not get everything absolutely perfect, anything that protects and prolongs these great cars has got to be good
Especially if it is easily reversible for the 'concours purists' out there.
I await the onslaught
Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by diverzeusy
How many purist owners have a non original IMS bearing kit? to save the engine??
Part of my determination regarding the use of parts in terms of either OEM or aftermarket, is whether or not I can see the part. In the case of any modification to the tail lights, I would be able to see the modification ever time I raised the engine deck lid, making the modification unacceptable for my personal tastes.

...anything that protects and prolongs these great cars has got to be good...
Anything??
Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My taillight mounts are not broken...none of them. My taillights are original, and are over 14 years old. If and when a mount breaks (and they may never break while I own the car), I'll buy another taillight unit.

Obviously, owners can treat their cars any way they want. What I stated above is how I treat mine.
Why? Even the guys that run around with Porsche patches on their overalls and speak with a strong Swabian dialect aren't perfect. Often enough they'll come out with improved parts on their own. Would you not purchase those either?

I dislike jury-rigs or redneck engineering. But I do like a solution that looks like it came from the factory. And I believe this one will. And I do not believe a Porsche patch and Swabian dialect are pre-requisites to making good parts for a Porsche. IMO purchasing new tail lights and declining something like this on principle is throwing money away. But as you said, to each his own.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
Why? Even the guys that run around with Porsche patches on their overalls and speak with a strong Swabian dialect aren't perfect. Often enough they'll come out with improved parts on their own. Would you not purchase those either?
There isn't anything wrong with my taillight(s). As I said, they've lasted over 14 years so far, and they may never break. I certainly wouldn't add any kind of aftermarket retaining device to a perfectly good taillight.

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
IMO purchasing new tail lights and declining something like this on principle is throwing money away.
Yes, to each his own. The cost of replacing one or both taillights just wouldn't be a big deal to me.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be honest Porsche as good as they are did not get everything absolutely perfect, anything that protects and prolongs these great cars has got to be good
Especially if it is easily reversible for the 'concours purists' out there.
I await the onslaught
Some things should remain stock, others not. So anyone that updates the clutch accumulator, pins the cooling hose connections or for heavens sake welds the cooling hose tubes to the engine, removes the 2001 front bumper warts, upgrades to any number of suspension mods, adds brake cooling ducts, 2nd gear pop out ball bearing, etc. is out of line? I think not, makes a super car an even better performer.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The cost of replacing one or both taillights just wouldn't be a big deal to me.

How does that saying go? "A fool and his money are soon parted....?"
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
How does that saying go? "A fool and his money are soon parted....?"
Money? It's all relative. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
So anyone that updates the clutch accumulator, pins the cooling hose connections or for heavens sake welds the cooling hose tubes to the engine, removes the 2001 front bumper warts, upgrades to any number of suspension mods, adds brake cooling ducts, 2nd gear pop out ball bearing, etc. is out of line? I think not, makes a super car an even better performer.
I don't think you can lump all modifications into one boat.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Money? It's all relative. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.
No, money is money. No relativity at all. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.

You bought your Turbo new right?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, money is money. No relativity at all.
Yep, you don't get it.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, you don't get it.
Oh no, I get it. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh no, I get it. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.
Are you old enough to have learned anything about economics? Your replies regarding money indicate a level of understanding associated with many young people who have limited experience.

Quick Reply: Taillights w/ broken mounting points