Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 PM
r0nd3L
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Therapy996t
Noticed my car wasn't 't driving in the snow like any other 4x4 or awd car I've driven and took it to the mechanic. Turns out I was right to think something was wrong. Both front CV shafts are toast and he recommended that I replace the struts/other suspension incidentals in addition to the CV shafts. Total tab - $9,900 installed. I know I bought a car with 100,000 miles on it and I know that it was, and is still maintained as, a $120,000 car but at least I bought it from Porsche of Tysons Corner for $32,000 (new clutch installed). Didn't get a pre-purchase inspection because I would have thought Porsche would have at least made sure the drive train was functional. I knew it wasn't a garage queen when I bought it but COMMMMOOOOOON! -sigh- I got a great price of entry for a car that is still fan freaking tastic to drive. I still believe it to be mostly a good bargain. Would never have been able to get into this car otherwise. I'll just hold off on the awd/suspension fix. At least the mechanic told me my brakes and other safety equipment is functional. Who needs all wheel drive in North Dakota, anyway? Seriously, I had no clue the fronts weren't pulling until winter and even then the car is totally manageable in ice and snow. It doesn't leak anything, it pulls like something that pulls really hard, sounds great, looks great, and I grin like a crazy person every time I drive it. Wish me luck, guys (and gals)! Cheers,
I would probably get a second opinion on that. If CVs would be bad, I'm sure they would be making at least some kind of noise. So, if you don't hear any clicking type of noise from the front end, they might just be ok.

As above poster said, the AWD system in 996 doesn't send much torque to the front, especially on low traction surfaces such as ice/snow or even car being jacked up in the air.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:16 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Nice, I've also got a Miata that I drive when I don't want to take the TT out. Replacing it with a Boxster soon though...
I was even looking at 944s-but I'm cheap..planning on getting my SCCA Comp license in a few weeks at Roebling-just have it-a bucket list item..c
Old 01-28-2017, 09:56 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just installed my rebuilt rear spoiler today. The top of the pump had blown off (2 days after car was purchased). It's back from a complete rebuild, both rams and pump are now better then new. It's great having a working spoiler again.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Therapy... the only way the CV's wouldn't let your AWD work is if they were missing... get a new mechanic that understands how the AWD system of a 996 works... it's nearly useless in the snow. It could be something else though that's not transferring grip to the front wheels... but even when it's working 100% it still will never be anything like a 4wd vehicle in the snow.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Therapy... the only way the CV's wouldn't let your AWD work is if they were missing... get a new mechanic that understands how the AWD system of a 996 works... it's nearly useless in the snow. It could be something else though that's not transferring grip to the front wheels... but even when it's working 100% it still will never be anything like a 4wd vehicle in the snow.
I think quite a few people would disagree with you about the "useless" comment.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ly-driver.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...christmas.html

http://www.beyond.ca/update-1-porsch...car/10890.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...e-in-snow.html
Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Didn't say useless... said "nearly useless". And compared to a normal 4wd/awd system it is.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Didn't say useless... said "nearly useless". And compared to a normal 4wd/awd system it is.
I think many would disagree. This a quote from one of the linked threads.

I have driven my Turbo in 9 winters now, it's a phenomenal car (on appropriate winter tires) in the snow - 14" of light fluffy snow has posed no issue, conversely 8-9" of wet snow has also been presented several times with no issues. It is some of the best / most fun driving you can do in this car - it truly is amazing in the snow. You will see a whole new side of the car that few explore.

There are many other posts by many other owners with similar points of view.

How much snow driving have you done with your TT? Was it on snow tires?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

There are just as many similar reviews from people with 2wd 996's. The engine over the rear wheels accounts for the majority of the grip in snow... same reason people with old VW's say they were good in snow. The fact is the front wheels will NEVER have the same amount of torque as the rear wheels while driving in snow. Do they help... sure. Do they help as much as they would with a locking transfer case? Not a chance.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are just as many similar reviews from people with 2wd 996's. The engine over the rear wheels accounts for the majority of the grip in snow... same reason people with old VW's say they were good in snow. The fact is the front wheels will NEVER have the same amount of torque as the rear wheels while driving in snow. Do they help... sure. Do they help as much as they would with a locking transfer case? Not a chance.
I am not sure what C2 or VW owners say is really relevant. I am aware of how the 996TT AWD system works and how those dynamics function in the snow. I know it does not have a locking transfers case.

Here are few more 996TT owners driving in the snow.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...snow-pics.html

How much snow driving have you done in your 996TT?
Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops! Didn't mean to hijack the thread! I'll re-post in it's own thread in the relevant Technical Turbo forum, and not to poke the bear, but our cars should be able to send 40% of their power to the front wheels. I have driven a big number of 4 wheel drive cars and all wheel drive cars (as a Sourdough Alaskan, recently moved out of state) and fully understand the driving dynamics of each. If the system is functioning a driver should be able to feel SOME grip. I know I know... "the car was not meant to drive in the snow which is why my voodoo powered AWD setup won't work - it's probably functioning just fine" (also not an actual quote from anyone on this forum - more like a summary). In a car with a functioning center-diff etc... the fronts should move. Also, since my car is functioning as a two wheel drive vehicle, it is very helpful that the weight is over the drive wheels. Let's chat about it in another thread so the folks here can enjoy "what you did on your car today" Also, I didn't mean to step on any toes. hopefully we can still be palls
Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

... it's nearly useless in the snow.
Agreed.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Agreed.
Incorrect, as usual.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Incorrect, as usual.
Stop the personal insults.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Stop the personal insults.
What personal insults?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

I had some paint correction done on Saturday. I had no idea Midnight Blue could look so good. Just looks sloppy wet now all the time.

Also did the headlights while at it.

Now I need to make the interior look as good as the exterior... that'll take some work. A few trim pieces, new shifter/e-brake handle, and new carpet.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?