Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SF Bay Area shops

Hello all, bought a '01 911 TT and every repair so far has taken 2 trips to the mechanic where something wasn't quite right. I'm 12K in and feel like the CEL's are rookie problems on these rides. A car my mechanic claims to have worked on hundreds of. I feel like I get better advice searching the forums and helping with the diagnosis than I do at the shop. Diagnostically they seem ready to skip the small stuff and just put in major components, which is fine if you are a high roller - I am not.

But enough digression. I'm looking for something in or within 20 miles of the city, and that eliminates sharkwerks unless they are really that good cause its just too far.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by syncrofly
Hello all, bought a '01 911 TT and every repair so far has taken 2 trips to the mechanic where something wasn't quite right. I'm 12K in and feel like the CEL's are rookie problems on these rides. A car my mechanic claims to have worked on hundreds of. I feel like I get better advice searching the forums and helping with the diagnosis than I do at the shop. Diagnostically they seem ready to skip the small stuff and just put in major components, which is fine if you are a high roller - I am not.

But enough digression. I'm looking for something in or within 20 miles of the city, and that eliminates sharkwerks unless they are really that good cause its just too far.

Any advice much appreciated.
Indy's I don't know, but I have had my Turbo serviced at Rector Porsche in Burlingame and I wouldn't hesitate to take the car there again.

A bit further away from you -- but in my back yard (almost literally...) is Porsche of Livermore. My Turbo has been in there for regular servicing and some repairs (under CPO warranty) like transmission leak (tranny replaced); bad idler roller bearing; bad radiator fan motor; broken shifter; clutch accum/slave cylinder; and I've always been quite happy with the work. The dealer handles the car's regular servicing too.

Still a bit further away that 20 miles (maybe?) is Porsche of Walnut Creek (Stead Porsche). The Turbo has never been there but I bought my 08 Cayman S there and had it in for some minor work (alignment) and my Boxster has been in for tires, alignment, oil/filter servicing and a water pump and have been quite happy with the service.

Call both dealers and see what kind of shuttle service they offer. Livermore has two shuttles running and in one case I even left the keys at the dealer -- I was in my other car -- and the dealer sent a tech over to pick up my car and drive it back for service. When the car was ready I picked it up and drove it home and got a shuttle ride back to the dealer for my other car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Default Yeah ... so far.

I guess I only think of those places as "far" because I've been back and forth between the shop so many times. My trusted VW mechanic is in San Rafael, surprisingly my VW's are more reliable than this car so far.... which is somewhat unexpected. I keep telling myself I'll get this sorted and then it will be a gem, but I think my mechanic is pissing my money away at this point.

I had the '04 turbo cab out near Modesto inspected at Livermore, really liked the shop manager I spoke with, and of the 5 PPI's I had done his was by far the best. Including an inspection by Steven's creek just across the bay. I was hoping for some winners in SF, "The Stable" seems to be the shop of choice but he's more of an air cooled guy from what I have heard. Just wish there was some small shop on the city down in the mission or so with a decent mechanic who does enough non-porsche work to keep him honest... or a good factory center for that matter.

Now I'm just bitching.

I need to buy a service manual... The mass airflow sensor, secondary air injection, and exhaust system are all things I feel like I should be able to at least diagnose on my own. Any recommendations on how to get a decent shop manual?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My impression with most bay area businesses- any, not just cars- is that they really don't need to try very hard. Plenty of customers with money.

Join renntech, gain access to all the tech documents there.

A
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx for diagnostics
as mentioned, renntech has all the manuals
I believe I just saw a posting listing a link for the manuals from mikelly - but can't find it now
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
syncrofly
Intermediate

Default Thanks

The durametic tool alone is worth the effort. Thanks for pointing this out.

Can't agree more with the opinion above service at Bay Area shops.

Thanks for the friendly advice,
Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 PM
kflory
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Porsche service near Livermore, CA

Looking to see if anyone has a good indy mechanic they would recommend near Livermore, CA?

I used a local mechanic for German cars for the past several years, but very unsatisfied as I always feel like he is learning on my car and almost always need to take it back several times and wont go back there again.

I bought the car at Porsche of Fremont (Claridge at the time) while Kimo was my service advisor the service was impeccable, but he is no longer with the Porsche side of the house and every time I have gone in since, I feel like I am being taken.

I have taken it to Porsche of Livermore when I needed to new wheels mounted and they did a great job (had to install spacers so was much more complicated that anticipated) and is where I will return if I don't find a good independent mechanic.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Jimmy in Daly City

Bob Grigsby in Sunnyvale

Heyer in Mountain View

The Stable is for air cooled

Rob King San Rafael

Sharkwerks only does mods or upgrades

Last edited by Edinsf; 03-31-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

+ 996 for Heyer in Mountain View.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Plut +2 for Tony Heyer in Mountain View. He has a nice, clean shop, works on both Air and Water cooled Porsches. Check out his website: http://heyerperformance.com/ He is also a racer.

I have a Durametric Pro with unlimited VIN's if you want to take a look at your car. I live near Burlingame, close to 280. I have a pretty good amount of tools as well.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:32 AM
jp413384
Rennlist Member

+1 for Rob King at S Car Go in San Rafael
Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

heyer and s car go have reps that have made it to socal. sharkwerks of course for any major build/mods etc. not maintenance per se.

it sucks but sounds like that shop has been taking you for a ride
Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Bauer Porsche, Oakland. Great shop.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
jamiew
Track Day

Another +1 for S Car Go in San Rafael. Not too bad to get back and forth from SF.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 PM
lahmacun
AutoX

Hi Tec Auto and S Car Go in San Rafael

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area shops