Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help auto diming rear view

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Magna-Donelly mirror has failed too. Luckily, none of the fluid has escaped the housing. I'm sending it back to Symbesma. I took it to a glass store today to take pictures of the plug and housing. Unfortunately, I did not take any pics of the pins/connector. My mirror P/N is 996 731 511 02 on a 2003 911 Turbo.

Can someone help me answer these questions on the Sybesma Form?

1) Number of slots in the connector? The connector is located on the harness coming from the back of the mirror.
2) How many wires go into the connector on the mirror?
3) Number of pins in the back of your mirror if any? These pins are located on the back of the mirror or on the connector coming from the back of the mirror.
4) What color are the wires?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if there is a compatible replacement with the garage door buttons (homelink) on it... Not sure why they didn't put this on at the factory...
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Homelink was not prevelant during the 2001 thru 2002 time frame. Lot of auto manufacturers made it an option!
jury_ca i will be pulling mine off here in the near future to get the pics and connector info. will report back when i do it. Not sure when i will !

Those of you who need to contact Symbesma, they will tell you they have not seen many from Porsche vehicles, but it looks to me based on the Donnelly markings and triangl on the front of the mirror, Porsche did use them. Anyway Symbesma will send you a form to fill out with the required pictures needed. I think thye do this so the can send you out a replacement before getting yours in first. They do hae a $200 core charge, that will be charged if they do not get the defective one back.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd
Wonder if there is a compatible replacement with the garage door buttons (homelink) on it... Not sure why they didn't put this on at the factory...
Let me know if you find one with Homelink built in. I couldn't even find it as an option on the 996, but I might have missed it.

I have a driveway gate (fixed code) and garage door opener (rolling code). Liftmaster makes the only opener that I found that could operate both a rolling code and fixed code from different manufacturers using the same remote.

I'ts not too big so it doesn't really stick out on the visor, but would prefer homelink in the mirror.

(Sorry for getting off topic)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Have you seen the retrofit of using your remote to a Porsche console button, with the remote hidden away?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...rage_door2.htm
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Homelink was not prevelant during the 2001 thru 2002 time frame. Lot of auto manufacturers made it an option!
jury_ca i will be pulling mine off here in the near future to get the pics and connector info. will report back when i do it. Not sure when i will !

Those of you who need to contact Symbesma, they will tell you they have not seen many from Porsche vehicles, but it looks to me based on the Donnelly markings and triangl on the front of the mirror, Porsche did use them. Anyway Symbesma will send you a form to fill out with the required pictures needed. I think thye do this so the can send you out a replacement before getting yours in first. They do hae a $200 core charge, that will be charged if they do not get the defective one back.
Our mirrors are indeed made by Donnelly. I spoke with Symbesma yesterday. They do not have the plastics to send out a mirror for replacement ahead of time. Instead, they will be able to refurbish our mirrors within 72 hours of receiving it.

I am thinking of sending my mirror out when I go on vacation in a month. My only concern is that the fluid will start leaking out and destroy the interior. My mirror has been broken for at least 9 months but has no evidence of leaking. I asked Symbesma if it was more likely to leak now that the mirror has failed, and they were not able to answer the question: "Some leak, some don't."

Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

jury_ca I have the same symptom as you. Mine looks exactly like yours.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

As mentioned in post #3 on this thread, the mirror on my old Audi S4 looked a lot like jury_ca's, except not as wide a band at the top. It actually stabilized and the level didn't seem to drop any more the last few years before I sold it. It never "leaked" onto the console; it seemed like it just evaporated.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jury_ca
I am thinking of sending my mirror out when I go on vacation in a month. My only concern is that the fluid will start leaking out and destroy the interior. My mirror has been broken for at least 9 months but has no evidence of leaking. I asked Symbesma if it was more likely to leak now that the mirror has failed, and they were not able to answer the question: "Some leak, some don't."
If you're still driving your 996, then remove it. If you plan on parking it until your vacation, then cover it w/ a ziploc bag and rubber bands.

I drove around in my M3 for a couple of weeks w/o a rear view mirror while I waited for Magna-Donnelly to send me a new one.

Michael.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

That's gotta suck, I use my mirrors so much!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
That's gotta suck, I use my mirrors so much!
If it were legal to drive without a rear view mirror (or my son and wife did not drive the car), I'd remove mine. Because of my sitting height, it really obstructs my forward right-of-center vision. I have to reposition my head to see around (or under) the mirror just to clear for traffic/pedestrians or get a good view of the road during right hand turns/curves.

Last edited by Dock; 05-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 AM
raineycd
Racer

So finally got my car back from the shop today for a clutch install and drive it to work. Hotter than hell out here right now, and I come back out to go home a few hours later and my mirror is fogged up.

So guess it is my turn! Will have to wait for a week or two cause I am driving it!

I am going to see if I can find a non-dimming one or a non-Porsche one with homelink. That would be handy IMO.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 AM
raineycd
Racer

Well one wrench in my plans on mirror domination - rain sensors... Seems the OEM mirror has rain sensors in the front facing part of the mirror. So will be contacting the reman company and see if they can fix it. No homelink for me - maybe will look into the garage door mod one day.

The service manual instructions are incorrect on how to remove as well. There is no way to twist it like they state due to the wires, etc. I found the answers on another forum, but basically pry apart the plastic elbow that holds the led light right behind the mirror, then pull the mirror down at the connector on the windshield - no twisting, just pull down firmly. Then just pull out the wire connector - pull straight out.

jury_ca here are the answers to your questions:

1) Number of slots in the connector? The connector is located on the harness coming from the back of the mirror. - not sure of the question, but there is just 1 little nub so the connector does not get plugged in backwards and then another one that does not go all the way to the outside of the connector. They are offset (see pic)
2) How many wires go into the connector on the mirror? - 5
3) Number of pins in the back of your mirror if any? These pins are located on the back of the mirror or on the connector coming from the back of the mirror. - 6
4) What color are the wires? - gray, black, white, brown, yellow

Pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5851162187/http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5851162187/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/11298777@N08/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5851716970/http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5851716970/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/11298777@N08/, on Flickr
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 AM
raineycd
Racer

I am going to try these guys radar-mirror.com and let you know how it goes. Scott says can turn it around in 1 biz day - they are in Texas. They can also install homelink and radar detector stuff! I think I will just rig up the garage door opener DIY since it looks real easy and not $199!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

raineycd - thanks for that info i have not removed mine as of yet,and had the twist instructions also. Thanks for the update

Quick Reply: Help auto diming rear view