Cooling solution for 996TT gearboxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling solution for 996TT gearboxes

Hey there everyone,

So for all of you TT owners, you have maybe noticed that unlike your GT2 and GT3 cousins, your gearbox does not include a internal oil pump and cooler. This can cause something of a problem for you on the track, as temperatures are sure to rise to the point where some issues might arise.

Heat is one of the biggest killers of gearboxes, it can cause premature bearing failures, as well as synchronizer swelling, to the point where shift quality will affected, sometimes to the point of causing actual failure, or short term gear lock up or lock out.

So what can be done to your gearbox to help avoid these POSSIBLE issues from cropping up?

The first consideration should certainly be what OIL you are going to run. I KNOW I KNOW, another oil discussion...... But seriously, the quality of the oil you use is greatly going to effect the cooling of your gearbox. So here is what I have been recommending most for these applications. There are certainly other options, and please don't ask me to judge each and every one of them. I simply do not have experience with all of the options out there, only a FEW, some of which have been good, and some not so much.

I currently have been seeing very good results from the REDLINE LIGHTWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF GEAR OIL. This is a high-performance gear lubricant that is fully synthetic and offers a high degree of protection for your gearbox and differential without being too slick for the synchronizers, as some of the other options out there can sometimes be.

The other thing that you should seriously consider, would be to simply install cooler in and out ports into your gearbox so that you can utilize an external oil pump (electric) and a good oil cooler. What we have been using for some time now in several applications, again with very good success is the following combination. I would be happy to make this "KIT" available for anyone who would like it. It would include the following:

1 x Tilton Differential Oil Pump with Viton internal seals, and 8AN fittings
1 x Setrab 19 row double pass oil cooler with 8AN fittings
1 x Setrab double fan and shroud kit
1 x Peterson 600 series with temp port in-line oil filter
1 x Auto Meter Pro-Comp Trans Oil Temp mechanical Gauge
1 x Auto Meter Roll Cage Gauge Mount
1 x Setrab 8AN fitting to replace your current oil drain plug (this will act as your oil out port)
1 x 3/8 pipe to 8AN fitting for your oil return line which you will need to tap for.

You will need to fabricate your own bracket to secure this cooler as it does not include one, and as there are so many options for where to place this cooler, there really is no way of knowing what bracket would work best for your particular installation area.

You will also need to have oil hoses made up, as again each installation of this kit is custom. These are not difficult to have made though, and not usually too expensive either.

Cost of this "KIT" would run $980.00 plus shipping. Which does not make it cheap, but you get what you pay for in this one. I have tried to utilize the best parts available currently for reliability reasons. I have also tried to make this a fairly all inclusive "KIT" so that you will not have to source these parts from different places yourself.

Here are some pics of the parts that I have in mind for this "KIT"

I am open to any thoughts on this, or suggestions for alternate parts, additions, or subtractions to make this kit exactly what everyone wants.

Please also feel free to PM me any requests or call me on my cell with any questions.

Happy to help

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Cooling solution for 996TT gearboxes