Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

but more curiously?..i would've thought you "knew" me well enough to know, that if i even suspected my tune was not up to snuff? i'd have sorted that out long ago. this isn't my first rodeo

but the dude abides,.. and that's just like, well, my opinion, man.
Right you are. I knew better. A brief memory lapse on my behalf. I blame the medication.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Right you are. I knew better. A brief memory lapse on my behalf. I blame the medication.
Ya, well ya know.. Fortunately I'm adhering to a strict drug regimen to keep my mind... Ummm, ..ya know,.. limber!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Here is a good technical analysis of what a Sprit Booster does.

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i'm shocked to discover that i understand the essence of this guy's posted experiments with it, and his supporting data. at least to "some" degree. in summary, it's simply the throttle input is achieved more quickly giving one the "feeling" that things are happening more quickly, hence the description by some as having achieved "increased throttle response", which by definition they may have. it certainly does;t equate in any way into a "faster car". but have never heard anyone try and make that claim either. so far,. so good.

so its not as if anything is in fact really happening sooner. or is it?!

according how i read that. it's more that one feels its happening faster as the throttle input is received more quickly giving one the impression that "performance" has been improved, which of course, it hasn't. again, it appears to boil down to "throttle response time" is somewhat shortened in terms of pedal position. which also helps to explain why he claims there is a "dead spot" for the last 1/3 of manual pedal input.

thats what i gleaned from a quick glance at his data. that would work for me. i knew it was going to make my "car faster" lol.

thanks for posting it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Here is a good technical analysis of what a Sprit Booster does.

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf
That's what I thought.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse but here is some info directly form Sprint Booster.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

The key statement for me is this:

Is Sprint Booster for everyone? Of course not, no performance product ever is. If you have a track car where you spend most of your time near redline, Sprint Booster is not for you - Sprint Booster benefits are felt in the low to mid pedal travel. Some people don't like the fact that Sprint Booster reaches full throttle before full pedal travel - if you routinely mash the throttle to the floor, Sprint Booster may not be for you.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:54 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

So 02996ttx50, what's the verdict? What's your butt dyno say?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by kcattorney
So 02996ttx50, what's the verdict? What's your butt dyno say?
it hasn't moved. my buddy has so far refused to drive the 50 extra miles out to the boondocks after his day job of wrenching to help me ( help?! lol ) install a 5 min part. so now i'm trying to entice him with the thought of all four caliper removal for repaint powdercoating etc.

i'd drive down to where he's at in the barrio but that isn't my idea of a sat AM either lol.

believe me fellas, i'll post results when i get that damn thing in. if i had more confidence in my own capabilities i'd do it, but if anyone can screw it up, it'd be me.

but i do like what all the white papers say about how and when i operates best. thats why i went for a 68ipd plenum instead of a 74mm and larger tb. for ME it's all about low to mid power curve and enhancing increasing its arrival time.. my 7200 redline will always happen, sooner or later

i am a hillclimber.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Heres why I posted gas pedal travel per throttle opening is reduced quote from sprint booster
"Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street."
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Heres why I posted gas pedal travel per throttle opening is reduced quote from sprint booster
"Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street."

ya read it all. we're all on the same page vis a vis what it does/doesn't do and how and why. as for me, i did just locate that sucker under the dash and can get to it, but have opted to wait, and I've never disconnected the pedal before even though all one even has to do is UNPLUG the friggin module and its about as tight a space as i ever want to get into ( well..)

so bottom line, i'm gonna be patient. i do NOT wanna bend/break one of the pins or screw it up. my specialty happens to be breaking stuff. not even embarrassed to say it, its been that way since my first motorcycle at 10 yrs old. could ride it just fine, change the tires or top end job?? ehh,.. "hey buddy!" umm,,....

man thats one tight spot under there!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

We're all waiting with bated breath but can understand your hesitation to do it if you think something might break or bend, after all these parts must be becoming brittle with age. I'm sure your buddy will do it for a couple of beers.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

its a nothing job for anyone that can do stuff on these, but i need to see something done before i can trust myself not to f it up. its pretty obvious install though.

one guy has warned me not to move it ( the module ) while its in place as you can lose throttle input. it looks simple, but so am i.

hence, the waiting.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:30 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
man thats one tight spot under there!
Hey, you can always practice up by swapping out your ignition switch for a fresh one. If it hasn't been changed in a while, then you can bet it's about to go. And it's plenty tight up in there.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the go faster gizmo.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Hey, you can always practice up by swapping out your ignition switch for a fresh one. If it hasn't been changed in a while, then you can bet it's about to go. And it's plenty tight up in there.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the go faster gizmo.

the shorter list would be what breakable parts HAVEN'T i changed on this and the previous one lol.

think of me as the guy that found the new vw/audi ig switch for 6 dollars on amazon ..and i can't practice that which i haven't yet done

yeah, i already know from myriad anecdotal accounts I've read in porsche forums.. this'll be just fine for me. i know what i does and how. i drive in very tight places and that quicker throttle input to wot will be a boon to my continued enjoyment. now if i just just get friend with the tools up here. doesn't even need tools!its that easy for more knowledgeable folks. but again, i can SEE the connections et al. it's the throttle pedal connection i dont wanna mess with and the spot where the module goes as i COULD break/snap it., also.. it's not a large space and you're upside down under the dash with a flashlight in your teeth, and well..forget it. the car ain't "broken", its just a gizmo! ha.

i'll get there
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Throttle modulation on Turbo engines is much worse than on a normally aspirated motor. The Sprint amplifier gizmo only makes that worse by reducing the throttle pedal resolution further by making it even more sensitive since 0-100 throttle body opening happens over a narrower throttle pedal range (100% open throttle happens at less than 100% throttle input). Why anyone would want that is beyond me...

Quick Reply: Sale on Sprint Boosters- In Stock for the 996 Turbo!