Old 08-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit

I'm pleased to announce my new tuning kit. It has been a long process thru engineering and mechanical hurdles to reach what I call the next complete tuning Stage of kits that I offer. As we dial up the boost one will naturally get more output. However it has always been my goal with my Zero Clearance turbochargers to have a ton of power under the curve. Instant boost producing massive amounts of torque early in the RPM band and HP that will continue to climb to redline.

Stage 3 is offered in two variations, it is easier for me to list the additions in the "B" kit.. Fuel and Arrow connecting rods. With this kit I have addressed some major mechanical issues such as solving the MAF problems that have plagued our cars. As a result we are providing rock stable boost control with flatline AFR fueling across the RPM band.

I have had to visit the drawing board numerous times machining new parts and testing them. One such component is the MAF and MAF housing, while many folks have left the stock unit alone and tricked the ECU with regards to Airflow, I decided to build a CNC'd MAF housing that will flow enough air, so that one would not max out the 5 volt MAF sensor. And at the same time, I searched for a new MAF sensor that would be more robust and have more capacity over the stock Porsche sensor. The Hitachi sensor has been a popular sensor from the Ford Lightning, and Audi's. However, I wanted to stay with the Bosch family of sensors. One must realize that the MAF is a critical component that has a direct impact on boost control and fueling. I have had to build and test multiple CNC housings and sensors. In this quest, I have had to also find a flow bench large enough to pack enough air thru the stock housing and CNC'd housings. I also decided to nail down the airflow/MAF/Voltage to Kg/hr calculation and ECU calibrations vs leaving all the work for the Stage 4 kit...

The next picture shows the tooling that I had to CNC to test each housing and MAF sensor. On the left one can see the final diameter and CNC'd MAF housing, on the right we have the stock diameter.

If one increases the airflow thru the carbon airbox, and into the MAF housing, one also has to increase the flow and reduce the static pressure in the ducting going to each turbocharger.

There have been many aftermarket side turbocharger inlet plenums, but I have admired the RUF plenum. I built mine with the factory look but stretched and expanded with maximum flow being critical. My piping is very large, 2.75" and I have kept this size all the way to each turbocharger compressor vs many that have stopped short and reduced and necked the diameter down for the turbochargers. As a sidenote, many of these component (90%)have been made by my hands, I have also had to tool up and actually cast these components (at great cost) The black coatings that you see is a thermal reduction or thermal dispersant coating.

One can also look at the use of the lightweight RS motor mounts. They really work good at keeping the engine planted in it's cradle. I have them instock as a kit for the 996TT cost is $469.00 set

I have CNC'd larger adapters for each turbocharger, the ducting is able to reach and extent to each compressor housing. This greatly reduces the static pressure, allowing more air to pass to the turbocharger without generating heat.

I have shown the stock rubber coupling that is fitted on our cars. Look at the diameter difference between the the coupling and turbocharger compressor housing.

It is not a secret that I like the K16 turbine platform to provide instant boost. I spend countless hours machining the stock K16 housing to manipulate the A/R of the housing and increase the volume of the housing to reduce back-pressure. When finished I can have a turbine housing that rivals a K24 and larger turbine housing. I'm pleased to announce my new turbochargers that I am now producing. I have designed and manufactured a modular turbine housing. The new housing is very similar to the K24 housing however, there is a twist. I have increased the flow to increase the exhaust speed into the K24 housing. This will help when one needs a K24 turbine wheel. However, with the new housing I have allowed more material in the casting so that I can install my modified K16 turbine wheels.

On the left is my raw casting, the center is a K24 turbine housing, the far right is my new finished/ported/flowed turbine housing. These are pre-production casting-trial housings, the production pieces have 15% nickel added to the mix, stock KKK have 9-10%.. This is done to prevent heat fractures and stress cracks.

I have taken a stock K16 turbine wheel and tried to place it into the new casting (right housings). This shows the new material in the casting to allow me to fit the smaller wheel, or any wheel that I want. The housing on the left shows how the stock K16 fit/or doesn't fit in the K24 housing. It passes all the way thru the housing. Infact, I have actually machined the opening to fit a K26 turbine wheel.. So in the end one could call this a K26.... One could even build a K26/K27. Endless combinations.

This kit with all the new hardware is based around the NEW Stage 3 turbochargers. I have had 1 1/2 years of trial testing and tweaking to get these turbochargers ready for the task. You can also see the billet wastegates mounted with special springs designed to keep the barn door wastegates from being opened thru the early midrange. The black material is the zero clearance coatings. I can run very tight tolerances between the compressor housing and high spinning compressor wheel. The end result is a very high efficient compressor stage, which will generate more boost, with less heat. With the zero clearance process, these turbochargers utilize billet backplates, special high load thrust components and a pinned 360 degree thrust plate. Each of these components need to work hand in hand with the Z/C process.

Attached is a SuperFlow data graph showing the pressure drop across the stock intake system vs my new system. This plays a important part in allowing the turbochargers to spool up instantly. If one can spool the large turbochargers quicker, boost is being developed, if boost is being built up early toque is generated. The graph show the pressure vs the air mass moving thru the intake system. There were multiple tests run in different configurations.

One mod that I seen some topend power gains was the addition of the 75mm throttle-body.

It became obvious real quick that the fuel system in these cars just aren't up to the task. Yes, we realize that we need to add larger fuel injectors, but the diameter of the fuel lines in these cars really lack. The head pressure that is created puts alot of strain on the fuel pump. It is necessary to replace all the fuel lines. With the larger side intake plenum I had to relocate the fuel filter. I have taken a picture to show you guys the diameter of the fuel lines and fittings.

Last edited by Kevin; 08-05-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Kevin!!! You have worked hard on these kits and the impressive results speak volumes for your dedication and well thought out approach. You may need to hire some help to keep up with the infux of new orders.

Kudos my friend!!!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations!

You know I'll be there as soon as I can do so.....please email me data on things.

What will get me to go this route is that I know you make sure the deal is real/reliable/and without suprises before you make such a public statement. As such, I have no doubts that I'll be happy.....

Best of luck and if it is anything like what you have already provided...I'll get more wrinkles in my face from the smile you stick there.

JB
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Kevin,

Good luck with it - looks like a nice package!
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Tom996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrat's Brother!!! I have cried with you! This is the result of hard work & dedication! Good luck! I know this kit will set the bar higher in the 996 world. We are all winners!!! Show us some numbers. :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2007, 11:34 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn Kevin I am speechless....

What a nice, complete kit that is. Someday I'll get there.....

CONGRATS!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 AM
markski
Racer

I expected nothing less from Kevin. he take a lot of pride in his work and it shows.
best of luck,
mark
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow..and damn...Nice work brother!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Beautiful parts, Kevin! I'm looking forward to seeing that torque curve. I'd love to keep the 3k rpm torque I have now and also see a healthy increase in the 4k - 6.5k band. Assuming Sanarus goes public or gets bought, I'll be converting some of my stock options into Stage 3 car parts.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Dragon911TT
Intermediate

Kevin -- looks awesome... those upgrades are definitely on the agenda. Good work!!!

That CF airbox is amazing. That is defintely my next purchase from you.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks guys, it's been a passion to be able to work on these cars and Porsche widgits everyday. Without your support projects like this would never get realized and finished. I'll be adding more pictures and dyno graphs as I get to them.. So stay tuned.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Dr. T
Instructor

Beautiful Kevin. Great work.
-Glen
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow! Well, when I upgrade my turbos, you will be receiving a phone call. Congratulations! Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Now I see what you've been so busy with buddy!!! Beautiful stuff. I will be standing by for further developments. I love it

-Jay
Old 08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and great work Kevin. Now you can move on to your next great breakthrough, the variable turbine geometry turbo for 996 TT's !!!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 3 "A" and "B" tuning kit