Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 short shift experts required:

996 short shift experts:

can you tell me which brand of shifter this is please.....

Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not exactly sure, but I can tell you that I've gone thru 3 shifters and the only one I'd have in my car is the the 997Short Shift Kit, or 997SSK for short.

Here's a link to a write up I did on it:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tal-996tt.html

Some of the vendors are buying the parts from the same company making them for B&M (EVO and FVD) and stamping their logo on them, then reselling them as their own. My guess is that's what you have in your pics...

Mike
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know that Suncoast Porsche offers 2 versions of the 997 shift kit:

1. stock
2. modified with upgraded bushings, etc.
(New Option! - Looking for a race version of this part? We now have the GT3 version, it's identical, but plastic shift bushings are replaced with Billet Aluminum.)

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997SCU.html

Perhaps it is one of those?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like an OEM one but not sure which model. The 12/03 is throwing me off. My guess would have been OEM SSK with modified bushings.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:00 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the OEM SSK for the 996. That logo is the Porsche trademark.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Looks exactly like my 996 OEM ssk.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM SSK
thank you gentlemen, much appreciated
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

yes, OEM SSK POS that i have in my car too.
dont do B&M, you either get the 997 version or the cup car version.
all the others are just bad or very bad.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Actually Suncoast offers THREE versions...

997 STOCK
997 GT3 with metal bushing but stock throws
997 Short Shift Kit

In the link I posted above, there is a picture provided by suncoast showing the difference in throws for all of them.

Some speculate that Porsche "rebranded" the B&M shifter and called it their SSK for the 996 cars, but I don't see Porsche doing that. I'd prefer to think B&M did what they always do and copied Porsches product. Regardless, both were far to notchy.

With the upgrades made to my transmission, my shifter is notchy when the motor is off, but is smooth when the motor is running. I guess this is a bi-product of steel syncros. Regardless, the 997SSK is the absolute best shifter I've had in my 996TT, and I've had the following in it:

B&M - Came with the car when I bought it. Never liked it. I've had B&M shifters in a Corvette, a Mustang SVO package car, and now the Porsche. They've been junk in all three cars, and all three suffered extremely notchy feel.

997 Stock shifter - Buttery smooth engagement, but with longer throws. It's the only other shifter I'd use. Predictable, and very smooth every shift.

997SSK - Best of both shifters above. It has the throw distance of the B&M, but the smooth action of the 997 Stock shifter. I love it. Less than an hour to install if you follow the DIY I posted at Suncoast's request.

Here's the "other" rub. Trans and motor mounts effect shift, especially in power enhanced 996TTs. I was able to notice significant differences in shifting under power load after I installed the WEVO mounts, and it was enhanced even further when I installed the upgraded 997TT trans mount (Got it thru Pelicanparts). I chose to drop from the WEVO blue bushings on the motormounts, down to the blacks and didn't notice any difference in shift performance. However, due to the amount of movement on the motor and trans combo, this is one area I'd focus on, along with your shifter choice. As the drivetrain "porposes", it puts added tension on the shift cables and will make some shift situations fail. You'll "miss" that shift you were trying and blame it on your own lack of skill...

If I had the video footage from when my drivetrain worked loose one of my exhaust tips at the track, you would be able to see how much the drivetrain moved before, with stock mounts. I still have the stock mounts on the shelf and show them to 996TT visitors that come by. They have zero play in them, less than 25K miles on them, and look new. So before some comment that the mounts were just "shot", trust me, they weren't and they suffered, badly.

Mike

Quick Reply: 996 short shift experts required: