Sponsored by:

Longevity of 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 11:30 PM
jmmitias
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Longevity of 996TT

I have had my 996TT for one week now and cannot get this stupid grin off my face. My prior cars have been 1998 Supra, Audi S4, Clk55, 2001 CL500 not to mention driving dozens more and nothing has approached this in exhilaration.

What is the expected lifespan of this car with moderately hard driving meaning trips to the redline 20-25% of the time with the engine staying around 4000 rpm most of the time? Am I abusing this car? I will maintain it fanatically so that will not be a problem.

This is my first Porsche so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,
jmmitias@hotmail.com
Old 08-09-2001, 11:44 PM
Tony Yustein
Track Day

Hi,

Congratulations on your recent purchase! I don't think you can abuse a 996TT. It is designed to take that beating and then some.

Actually that is the major difference between Porsche and other cars.

Have fun!
Tony
Old 08-10-2001, 07:00 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Hey...

Remember me, from the mbworld.org CL message board??? Congrats on your 996 tt purchase!

Remember, this is a race winning engine, tuned for the street. It should take anything you throw at it!

If you want a tip to avoid premature turbo failure, how about warming down or letting the engine idle for 30sec-1min after heavy driving.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-10-2001, 06:58 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chris Y.:
<STRONG>Hey...

Remember me, from the mbworld.org CL message board??? Congrats on your 996 tt purchase!

Remember, this is a race winning engine, tuned for the street. It should take anything you throw at it!

If you want a tip to avoid premature turbo failure, how about warming down or letting the engine idle for 30sec-1min after heavy driving.

Cheers,
Chris</STRONG>
I agree, all turbocharged cars need to sit for a minute or two after a hard run to let the internal parts slowly come down from their thermal expansion. The best idea is to pick up a turbo timer. GReddy, Apex Integration, HKS and Blitz all make exceptional pieces that work great.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:33 AM
Vreracing2
Track Day

There used to be problems with the Original Porsche turbo due to the intense heat in the engine compartment. It seemed that at 50K miles they were pretty burned out. If you check Autoweek and Autotrader about once a week or so there is 96TT for sale with 70K plus miles on them. You know these cars have seen some serious action.

I had a 96TT with 56K miles when I sold it and it drove better at that mileage than it did when it was new. The car has seen Texas World Speedway more than once. The mechanics claimed that daily driving actually helped the engine out. Two things he told me that were interesting. 1) No one every sells a Porsche cause its worn out. 2) I could expect to get about 120 or 130K out of the 993TT engine.

If its a Garage Queen and every time you go out, you go out hard it may put some stress on the engine.

The old Turbos used to cake (oil would congeal) if you didn't let them run for about a minute or so after running.

The car is designed for a very aggressive driving. I would not worry about driving it hard provided you warm it up first and let it cool down for a minute after hard running. (I'm not familiar enough with the 996TT so this may not be an issue anymore.)

Enjoy the car since thats why you bought it. If you're like me and are maniacal about caring for the car, all you'll do is make a great car for the next owner. (I go through cars pretty quickly)

Quick Reply: Longevity of 996TT