Relieving some of the suspense in suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 09:50 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Robin Samms:
<STRONG>both the GT3 and GT2 are RWD cars, and that would cause some inherent limitations, I would think.</STRONG>
That is correct. Neither one of these is compatible on an AWD car as the front suspension geometry is different. At least, that is what I was led to believe. However, this is not to say that an aftermarket coilover setup designed to fit the AWD will not provide similar results on a 996 Turbo.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:30 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Karl S.
The GT3 suspension can go well beyond -4 degrees, you can get at least -7 degrees out of it. I have the GT3 suspension on my car and with 1mm shims in the front control arms I am running -3 degrees camber. PAG makes shims that go up to 7mm for the control arms, so I could go much more negative if I wanted.
Karl, are you running that suspension on a 996TT ? If so, please tell us more. I understand that the GT3 suspension can be fitted to any 996C2, but as Viken pointed out, the AWD geometry is different. If there are parts, such as the shimmable lower control arms which can be fitted, I would like to know about it.

Robin
Old 08-09-2001, 04:52 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin,

Sorry, no I have a 996 C2 with the GT3 suspension and brakes installed. I'm still on the wait list for a TT.

Karl
Old 08-10-2001, 01:09 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Why is there so much talk aboud GT3 suspension? 99% of 996TT will never see a race track. We rented Willow Springs for a day of testing at $ 3000.00. What a waste of time. Everybody that calls just wants info.and are interested in street setup.

Pete.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Robin Samms:
<STRONG>From Karl S.

I understand that the GT3 suspension can be fitted to any 996C2, but as Viken pointed out, the AWD geometry is different. If there are parts, such as the shimmable lower control arms which can be fitted, I would like to know about it.

Robin</STRONG>
I did a little checking in PET tonight. The GT2 and GT3 use the same front control arms and front wheel hubs. The TT uses the same control arm as the 996 but a different hub. Given that the front control arms are swappable between the 996 and the GT3, I'm guessing that you can also use the GT3 control arm with a TT. Perhaps a discussion with someone from one of the German tuners could verify this.

Karl
Old 08-11-2001, 01:16 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Originally posted by cjv:
<STRONG>Pete
You're probably right about the amount of 996TT's that will ever see a track. However, I don't believe that you can ever have enough horse power, braking or handling ability if you can still keep it streetable. As for the cost of putting it on a track, join Porsche Car Club of America, safety equip your car, obtain your license and and have some fun on the track (for alot less money) </STRONG>

I don't think you got what I was saying. ANDIAL rented the track and did some testing with Jeff Zwart. We tried different setups, combinations and susupension settings.

Pete @ Andial

Quick Reply: Relieving some of the suspense in suspensions