Break In Period

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 03:02 PM
EricV
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Break In Period

Hello,

I have a 2001 Twin Turbo. The manual says to keep the car under 4K RPM for 1,800 miles during the breakin period! This seems excessive. It seems like a thousand miles should be sufficient. Are people following the manual's recommendations or not?
Old 07-04-2001, 03:46 PM
doody
Advanced

experiences vary, but most tt owners were careful. search the archives on funcarsonline for more details.

doody.
Old 07-04-2001, 06:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What break-in? Just drive it as you like. If you follow the instructions, your car will eventually be slow.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:38 PM
Ted J
AutoX

Originally posted by EricV:
<STRONG>Hello,

I have a 2001 Twin Turbo. The manual says to keep the car under 4K RPM for 1,800 miles during the breakin period! This seems excessive. It seems like a thousand miles should be sufficient. Are people following the manual's recommendations or not?</STRONG>
Hey EricV, sweet choice for a car man! As you can probably see I'm pretty new to this forum (this is my first post on this board actually) and although I don't own a Porsche (yet that is) I'm going to try my best to get one later on.

When it comes to the break in period I don't know what to say on a Porsche 996 TT. I wish I could be of more help to you there. I noticed that you were in the Atl area and I wanted to tell you that I thought you got a sweet ride. What color is it, do you have any pictures of it online? Maybe if I see you one day driving around I can wave at cha!

Ted
Old 07-10-2001, 01:29 AM
Steve N.
Racer

I did my best to follow the suggested break-in procedure. By my way of thinking, Porsche must have had a reason to provide these instructions. Interestingly, as I recall the NA 996 break-in is more like 1000 - 1200 miles. Differences in the cylinder wall , rings, etc. may explain the difference. Finally, I note that my TT has burned a lot more oil on break-in than the NA cars I've owned. At 2100 miles I still get a puff of blue smoke at times on start-up.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Steve N. 996TT:
<STRONG>At 2100 miles I still get a puff of blue smoke at times on start-up.</STRONG>
That is perfectly normal with any boxer engine broken-in or not. Oil finds its way into the combustion chambers while the engine is at rest overnight. Those few drops burn at initial startup in the morning.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:02 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Viken: Thanks for this input. My previous experience is with the NA 996 (with multiple cars) and I never experienced the "blue smoke puff" to the degree I have on the TT. I accept your explanation, and haven't been worried about this, but it does appear that the 3.6 liter motor is more prone to this phenonenom. It is also true that the TT burned quite a bit more oil on break-in than my NA 996's - although it stabilized at about 2000 miles.

Quick Reply: Break In Period