Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT rear spoiler problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM
omega
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have an 01 two kits both failed have only 40,000 miles . just installed a rennkit it works great no more fluid leaks its elec heres the address david cooper 7012 kennesaw rd canton mi 48187 or djcooper@rennkit.com im very happy with mine ez install
Old 11-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Orphan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techweenie
Be aware, Klaus' business is convertible top hydraulics and he only does spoiler rams in his "off season" which starts in December. Great bargain at $500/pr with 3 year warranty.
Yup.. changed my previous post to note soft top priority.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by omega
have an 01 two kits both failed have only 40,000 miles . just installed a rennkit it works great no more fluid leaks its elec heres the address david cooper 7012 kennesaw rd canton mi 48187 or djcooper@rennkit.com im very happy with mine ez install
+1 on this comment as well
100% satisfied, KH
Old 11-18-2015, 08:47 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khiroshima
+1 on this comment as well
100% satisfied, KH
Thanks for the props Steve and Kevin! Pleased that you like your eRam kits. Why anyone would go through the arduous and messy task of disassembling, cutting, soldering, bleeding a flawed design is beyond me. For anyone needing a permanent fix, have a look here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...iler-rams.html

Website is almost done!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Ditch the hydraulics and go with Dave's eRams. You will not regret it.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:02 PM
996TT02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Ditch the hydraulics and go with Dave's eRams. You will not regret it.
I've been in touch after reading this thread, and he is my first backup should things not go to plan... having said that I suffer from chronic fixitupitis and don't give up quickly (possibly even when it would be the wise thing to do!)

At the assy stage now, my previous post on this thread I asked whether the actual ram piston would be hard to remove, the answer is no it moves quite freely and can be pushed out via the oil-in orifice with some wire.

One minor pain of cutting the rams open with a pipe cutter, this distorts the ram cylinder (flares inwards) and you need to file/flare/resize/whatever so that both the piston stop/spacer and the piston can actually be removed.

If I cut open the other ram (currently ho humming about it) I will apply less pressure to the pipe cutter and cut more slowly. Or use a hacksaw but this risks cutting through the piston stop/spacer.

Tomorrow will drill out the brass fittings 14mm so that they can fit over the ram and be soldered in place.

My compact camera gave up (well, I dropped it...) so for now no pics, sorry!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996TT02
I've been in touch after reading this thread, and he is my first backup should things not go to plan... having said that I suffer from chronic fixitupitis and don't give up quickly (possibly even when it would be the wise thing to do!)

At the assy stage now, my previous post on this thread I asked whether the actual ram piston would be hard to remove, the answer is no it moves quite freely and can be pushed out via the oil-in orifice with some wire.

One minor pain of cutting the rams open with a pipe cutter, this distorts the ram cylinder (flares inwards) and you need to file/flare/resize/whatever so that both the piston stop/spacer and the piston can actually be removed.

If I cut open the other ram (currently ho humming about it) I will apply less pressure to the pipe cutter and cut more slowly. Or use a hacksaw but this risks cutting through the piston stop/spacer.

Tomorrow will drill out the brass fittings 14mm so that they can fit over the ram and be soldered in place.

My compact camera gave up (well, I dropped it...) so for now no pics, sorry!
Dude, give up now and buy Dave's eRams. The hydraulic system is garbage. Why waste your time on garbage?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:50 PM
996TT02
Intermediate

Well like I said "fixitupitis"...

But seriously it's not that bad, it certainly is sortable. After all mine worked well for 13 years.

Good as it is, Dave's solution is not free, (don't get me wrong it's beautifully engineered and worth every penny) but it's a bit like saying that a Rolex is worth what it costs, so if I can get it sorted with just a couple of hours' more input then I will. Ultimately even if my main fix fails (the black plastic pusher block that was the reason for the failure) I still have an option to make one that will never fail, and having modified the rams, they would now be easily serviceable.

Besides (and mainly) I am enjoying the project.

As previous... maybe I don't know when and how to let go
Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But seriously it's not that bad, it certainly is sortable. After all mine worked well for 13 years.

Good as it is, Dave's solution is not free, (don't get me wrong it's beautifully engineered and worth every penny) but it's a bit like saying that a Rolex is worth what it costs, so if I can get it sorted with just a couple of hours' more input then I will. Ultimately even if my main fix fails (the black plastic pusher block that was the reason for the failure) I still have an option to make one that will never fail, and having modified the rams, they would now be easily serviceable.

Besides (and mainly) I am enjoying the project.

As previous... maybe I don't know when and how to let go
Okay, enjoy fixing your hydraulic system. Then in a few months you can buy Dave's eRams.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Carlo, thanks, all I can say, you've been a great supporter.

Mark, we need to get you a set of eRams somehow.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good as it is, Dave's solution is not free
as much as i really like dave's e-ram kit, and support his efforts without reservation, i too am in the camp of "if i can fix it myself " ( err, with my bud and his invaluable assistance ) then why the hell not?! my last re-bleed and refill of pentosin/lucas was 5 full years ago. it has worked flawlessly in that time w a strosek ( which may in point of fact be lighter/better ) but i am now just having the very beginnings of unequal retraction. all else works just fine, but we are talking cc's of fluid to ensure proper operability, so a little having disappeared is common and a banjo bolt re-tightening notwithstanding, in all probability, the system probably just needs a nip of noxious fluid, and who knows!? another five years of flawless operation may be in my future.

if not? dave has been kind enough to offer to supply me his bitc*in' 4" e-ram kit with expedited deployment.. for a price, and i will then throw in the towel to resurrect my plumage alternately if the re-bleed just doesn't cut it a second/third?! time! lol

but again, you're certainly not wrong to try and revive it given so many of us have..after all, and for many..and as you say. this has been going on for 14 years
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Carlo, thanks, all I can say, you've been a great supporter.

Mark, we need to get you a set of eRams somehow.
dave.. i'm not sure if your reference was to me? or not.. but i just re-read this very threads earlier posts of early summer, only to find me crowing proudly of how mine have been working perfectly for five years and here we are some 5 months later, and sure enough.. i've got it .. again!!

semi flaccid spoiler syndrome! there's either a pill i can take? or better yet, your fabulous and well thought out kit would do nicely LOL.

you may well get that email from me yet
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
dave.. i'm not sure if your reference was to me? or not.. but i just re-read this very threads earlier posts of early summer, only to find me crowing proudly of how mine have been working perfectly for five years and here we are some 5 months later, and sure enough.. i've got it .. again!!

semi flaccid spoiler syndrome! there's either a pill i can take? or better yet, your fabulous and well thought out kit would do nicely LOL.

you may well get that email from me yet
Oh yes - to you.
Here is some eye candy...
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Oh yes - to you.
Here is some eye candy...
Nice!

Hey Dave is possible for the electronics on the 4" version to be adjusted so the rams rise to less than full height?

The reason I ask is because if it is possible I might like to try adjusting my wing height to see how it effects the aero balance of my car at the track.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

arghh.. lol. thx dave.

it's only a matter of time! we all know that

i actually like the semi industrial look of the stanchions too. great work man.

Quick Reply: 996 TT rear spoiler problems - Help!