Sponsored by:

Tarett rear top mount with Ohlins R&T

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Tarett rear top mount with Ohlins R&T

I am installing Ohlins R&T coilovers this weekend on my 04 GT3 and have a question:

Do I need to use the two bowl shaped washers (A) and the small washer (B) from the OEM shock with Tarett monoball top mount?

The supplied Ohlins instructions indicates that i have to reuse them with oem rear top mount.

The Ohlins damper already have a large, thick washer on top of the bump stop. It looks like the Tarett top mount can just sit on top of it without any additional washers.

Any input will be appreciated.

Ohlins instruction

Washers removed from oem dampers

Ohlins damper

Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Referencing your diagram above, don't use washer 'A'. The stack height works out perfectly with the Tarett top hats. You need to use washer 'B' that was supplied with the Ohlins R&T kit. It provides space for the dust boot. BTW, Ira form Tarett is very helpful with questions and responds promptly. Top notch service.

I also used the Swift thrust sheets in lieu of the rubber thrust washer supplied with the Ohlins.

I have mine assembled ready to install once I get a free weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much! Rennlist delivers!

Do you think I should reuse the thin rubber washer from the OEM top mount on the top of the upper spring seat? Seems like it should reduce chances of squeaks.

Roger
Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

The thin rubber washer was not installed on all cars from what I can find. It was added to reduce noise but didn't necessarily quiet the beast. I am adding Swift thrust sheets to reduce the annoying bang.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Roger,

I was able to find time to put the rears on this weekend. I opted not to use the thin rubber washer you mentioned.

I would highly recommend getting the Swift thrust sheets since I did see galling on the stock lower spring seat from spring wind/unwind/roll when I disassembled them. This was likely the noise I have been listening to for the last 7 years.

So far the rear is completely silent despite my rough road/speed bump tests. Hopefully it stays thud/clunk/groan free with age. The Ohlins do absorb the bumps and undulating surfaces much much better than stock despite the higher spring rate. I just need one more free weekend to finish off the fronts and then get an alignment.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update, Stephen.

I have already installed the coilovers a couple weekend ago. I did put the thin rubber washers under the rear top mount and figured it should help with the noise somewhat. One thing I noticed is the bushing in the rear shock lower mount is softer than stock. maybe I should replace it with monoball later on.

I took it to COTA last weekend with Chin. These Ohlins are much better over stock on bump absorption despite having higher spring rate than stock (600f/800r). I was able to put the power down a lot earlier while the car is still on the rumble strips.

Quick Reply: Tarett rear top mount with Ohlins R&T