AX setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AX setup

Hi folks

I am doing an autocross this weekend and have been more of a real track driver for decades. Planning my setup and realized I don't know how to setup for AX vs. a real track like Laguna Seca. Please weigh in if you have AX experience.

Tires
I'm running new, unscrubbed/heat cycled Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. Any recommendations on what air pressure to run at (cold) for an autocross? I have no idea how much they will heat up in one run.

Suspension
Also I am thinking lower is better, so will likely drop the whole car about 1cm when I get to the track (I'm on motons). Do you think this is worth it? Takes about an hour.

Aero

My cup splitter is hanging on my garage wall, worth installing for an AX? I was thinking to install it and shim my RS wing to 8 degrees for maximum downforce, and drag...
Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

You cannot simply drop the car 1cm without it having an effect on the suspension settings. Toe and Camber will change...

Ray
Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Good point, I spaced on basic trig there...
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Been a long time since I AX'd but for your "first" time I'd just show up with the car well prepped -- fresh oil/filter, brakes (and if applicable the clutch) fluid recently flushed/bled, no junk/loose items in the cabin or storage bins or in the trunk, tires inflated to the correct pressure for the street -- and get to know the car in this environment better.

Maybe afterwards you will have an idea of what needs to be done for your next event.

Also, you can check out similar cars to see what their setup is. Look at both the good performers and the lousy ones.

The good to learn what you might want to do, the lousy to learn what you probably want to avoid doing.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

expect 6 - 10 psi pressure change cold - hot
i would suggest shooting for about 36 - 34 rear - front hot???????

tighten your rear ARB to make it easier to pitch-n-catch
don't worry about aero unless your AX track has 90mph sweepers..........................

info is too late now i know, but let us know what you learned.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

My engine bay fan fuse blew and I got one run, during which I killed a few cones

Then my day was done, that fuse is buried and I wasn't up for fixing at the venue

In that one run I realized that I should probably just go back to a real track like Laguna or THill
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Rut row - slippery slope coming

Have fun

Interesting - same thing happened to me 1st time out with the car - easy to fix - IF you have the fuse location...

Ray

Quick Reply: AX setup