Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering the sale/trade of my 996 GT3 for a 996 GT3…

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 PM
M BADGER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the sale/trade of my 996 GT3 for a 996 GT3…

I am the proud caretaker of a gorgeous Guards Red 2005 GT3.

I call it my museum car. It has 11,900 miles, attractive options (red backed sport seats, red belts, red stitching, red gauges) and has never been tracked or driven in rain. The only modification is a set of Cargraphics mufflers and it can be returned to stock.

I bought the car in 2015 with 7200 miles from a Rennlist Member.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...d-996-gt3.html

Since then, I have driven it a little over 2,000 miles per year and had a paint correction and CQuartz UK application (as shown on page 2 above).

I love the car, but I don’t love limiting my mileage and I want to start doing track days again.

I estimate the value difference between my car and a higher mile example with track modifications and track use to be $15-25,000.

As much as I would love to keep my car, to turn my car into an occasional track car would cost thousands and devalue the car by thousands. It just doesn't seem to make sense. I could be convinced otherwise if my logic is unsound.

If I could find the right car and the right owner looking for a trade + cash that would be perfect.

Color and modifications would be critical.

Preferred colors would be red, blue or white.

Preferred modifications include RS wing and bumper, exhaust, Guard LSD, suspension and brake upgrades, GT2 hardback seats, roll bar and belts.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm about to place my car for sale, mid to late April.
Arctic silver 2005 w46k miles.

Meets your criteria except color and GT2 seats. Car is fast and strong. I run R888 on the Forgeline. Never ran slicks. Purchased the car in Dec 2012 with 25k miles. Drove the car around town, to and from track, and on track. Got trailer one year ago. Trailer is a 2014.
Videos on YouTube. 996GT3Norge

Fittings welded, guards LSD, high flow cat and fabspeed mufflers, - dropped the engine in 2013 and spent 13k, GMG roll bar, max speed carbon fiber seat (also have original seats, muffler, and front and rear spoilers) brembo big break kit, Dan Jacobs set up w/ stock shocks at 600/800 spring rates, carbon fiber RS rear wing, carbon two piece front splitter, forge line rims, etc etc.

Car has never been crashed, no repaint but has rock chips and a crack in windshield

Also selling River Forest aluminum trailer, So everything, rubble and bits for $80k
Not interested in trade but your car should sell quickly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tgavem; 03-13-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

With trailer
Attached Images  

Last edited by tgavem; 03-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

deleted

Last edited by tgavem; 03-13-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 03-12-2017, 10:11 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

deleted

Last edited by tgavem; 03-13-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

If for sale what's the sale price? Mike
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i dont see why pplwould sell a nice car to get a less nice car so they dcan "drive " it more.
i like to buy the lowest mileage freshest car i can find and then de-flower it myself.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:47 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Maybe more about cost:
Museum car - 85k
Make track car; weld fittings, guards LSD, change all hoses, etc, 15k, mufflers, 2.5k, roll bar 1.5k, brakes 4k, etc etc so now will be a 105-110k car.

or buy mine which is already set up at 70-75k, or 80k with trailer and extra set of rims.

SAVES $$$$$$
Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM
M BADGER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to why I am reluctant to modify my current GT3, it does not make sense financially to spend $10-15k to make my car worth $10-15k less than it is in its current form. I also have reservations about turning a low-mileage unmolested GT3 into a track car, particularly a car as rare and beautiful as a 2005 in Guards red.

I already have an Arctic silver 996 turbo and a similarly colored Acura NSX (Sebring silver). I have a friend locally with a 12k mile street/track Arctic silver GT3 that would probably trade for mine +$$, since mine is really what he wants (stock, 2005, rare color), so if I were to consider silver and have it wrapped in red or another color that is probably the car I would pursue.

I am pretty picky about color. Otherwise, your silver car seems to be just what I am looking for in terms of the level of modification.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

M Badger,

I completely concur with your logic and endorse your idea of selling yours and buying one that's already the way you like it. The only way it would make financial sense to modify yours for the track would be to do so with reversible changes and keep all the original parts to swap back in someday. But still, you'd come out behind if you ever sold the car. And if you take a perfect, stock car with very low mileage, modify it and thrash it hard, it runs the risk of becoming just an average car with average mileage (or worse), so you suffer the consequences of mediocrity and will lose the edge on the value curve that it currently holds. Why not avoid the double whammy of a) paying for the mods and b) losing value because of the mods (and the use) of the car. For those who are extraordinarily wealthy and don't care as much about the financial equation, then they can (and will) do as they like. But as a person of more modest financial means (and a fellow former Madisonian!) I think like you do.

Unfortunately, I don't have a car to offer you. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob S
M Badger,

I completely concur with your logic and endorse your idea of selling yours and buying one that's already the way you like it. The only way it would make financial sense to modify yours for the track would be to do so with reversible changes and keep all the original parts to swap back in someday. But still, you'd come out behind if you ever sold the car. And if you take a perfect, stock car with very low mileage, modify it and thrash it hard, it runs the risk of becoming just an average car with average mileage (or worse), so you suffer the consequences of mediocrity and will lose the edge on the value curve that it currently holds. Why not avoid the double whammy of a) paying for the mods and b) losing value because of the mods (and the use) of the car. For those who are extraordinarily wealthy and don't care as much about the financial equation, then they can (and will) do as they like. But as a person of more modest financial means (and a fellow former Madisonian!) I think like you do.

Unfortunately, I don't have a car to offer you. Good luck with your search.
Agree with this^

I own a car that you're looking for and they are a blast! Not easy to let go of.
Probably better to try to sell your car and buy what you're looking for.
Wish you best in your search.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont see why pplwould sell a nice car to get a less nice car so they dcan "drive " it more.
i like to buy the lowest mileage freshest car i can find and then de-flower it myself.
Suppose someone who is pretty **** about the care of tracked gt3 that he has a personal diary of everything he has done and driven since day 1 by every mile including small stuff like how many times he's look at the car in the garage. You'll probably be impressed and buy the damn car and his diary and continue the same madness : ). And the diary is in pristine condition too : ). Mike
Old 03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As one who continually obsesses about the condition and value of my toys, I think:

The cost equations never work out.
The trades never work out.
And lastly, a stock GT3 is already a great occasional track day car. No mods required. (PCCB did not work on the track for me)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:49 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my 911 in stock, excellent condition and when air-cooled prices started rising I thought I would stop tracking it because it was "too valuable". Then I told myself that not tracking it is a waste and that it's a car and I love it most when it's on track... so the real crime would be to let it sit out of fear of reducing it's "value". It's true value is in the enjoyment I receive from owning and driving it. It's not an investment in money, it's an investment in experiences and memories. Why keep it nice for the next guy? I bought it for me to enjoy.

Since I stopped worrying about its monetary value, it's functional value has sky-rocketed. I flog the hell out of it at track days, and enjoy weekend drives with the gf or meets with the local Porsche gang. It was even my daily driver at one point.

Could I sell it and buy a lessor version and have cash to spare? Sure... but I won't enjoy another one like I do mine. I take pride in having a great example of the car, and driving it just like any other.

Bottom line: life's too short - take that red beast to the track and enjoy every minute of it. If you sell it and buy another, you'll just miss the red one.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you considered doing a wrap, that would increase your options on color. Plus, it would save your paint during those track days.

Quick Reply: Considering the sale/trade of my 996 GT3 for a 996 GT3…