Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering the sale/trade of my 996 GT3 for a 996 GT3…

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are approximately 13 to 14 years old and are becoming harder and harder to find. Add the fact that the 996 GT3 provides the most "raw" GT3 experience of all GT3 street cars without any driver aids, these cars will not devalue as much as you might imagine. They all ready hit rock bottom at one point and are now worth more than they were couple years ago.

In my mind, when someone is selling an older GT3 (996/997) I always assume the car has been tracked at one point or another by one of the previous owners, no matter what the ad will say. Who the hell buys a 996 GT3 and does not track it? Its not a very road compliant car. My opinion is to track the car in stock form and if you really still desire any modifications for the track, add them and keep the stock parts.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont see why pplwould sell a nice car to get a less nice car so they dcan "drive " it more.
i like to buy the lowest mileage freshest car i can find and then de-flower it myself.
Not everyone prints their own money, though, Moot.

-td
Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M BADGER
Preferred modifications include RS wing and bumper, exhaust, Guard LSD, suspension and brake upgrades, GT2 hardback seats, roll bar and belts.
I might have just the right car for you. I have most of the mods listed above and my car is red.

Mods are: RS Wing, full suspension upgrade with JRZ motorsports, cup car shifter and cables, euro bucket seats, roll bar and 6-points harness. Most importantly, coolant lines welded/pinned.

Car has <30K miles, has been tracked and maintained accordingly. If interested, send me PM.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Bottom line: life's too short - take that red beast to the track and enjoy every minute of it. If you sell it and buy another, you'll just miss the red one.
I agree. What if you were told you only had 6 months to live? Would any of this matter? Tomorrow is not a guarantee...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 AM
M BADGER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of your comments.

I agree that a stock GT3 is a capable track car. But even a stock GT3 needs its coolant pipes fixed, a bar and belts, and perhaps seats, to be a safe track car. I would think you can find a way to run a sub belt with stock sport seats, but the euro buckets or aftermarket would seem to be a better option.

I appreciate the notion that life is short and should be enjoyed. I drive my 996 turbo year round, 84,000+ miles in 5 years. I am putting my 1991 NSX back into track duty this year regardless (NSXPO 2017 is at Road America) and have a 1988 M5 that sits in storage with a blown engine, waiting for me to stop buying Mezger 996s and give it the love it deserves.

If I can find the right car, a sale or trade makes financial sense and should not involve much if any emotional loss.

I am still at least a month or two from making a decision to put the car up for sale/trade.

The NSX/M5 complicate the equation somewhat. Since I am going to be tracking the NSX, it would seem to make sense to keep the GT3 stock, at least for another year. On the other hand, the money I could pull out of the GT3 should be able to cover the M5 rebuild cost, and I think I would be happier with a GT3 that I could drive and track with relative abandon.

Perhaps I have answered my own question.

I don't suppose you have a spare BMW S38 motor to go with that lovely red GT3, ti-jean?

Quick Reply: Considering the sale/trade of my 996 GT3 for a 996 GT3…