GT2 Harness Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 AM
Mountain Gnome
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GT2 Harness Options

Hello,

Currently I'm try to figure out the best way to mount a 6 point harness in my 6GT2 and I'd be grateful if you could give me some advice on that.

What I've figured out so far from reading the Schroth Manual and searching these forums:
- the previous owner apparently (re)installed the anti-sub belts incorrectly (both belts mounted to a single eye bolt and rerouted them via a flimsy tube which seems to be part of the seat adjustment mechanism
- the eye bolt is located approximately 10" in front of the seat hole, which seems far from ideal
- there is a cross member for mounting the anti-subs (996 521 933 90)
- but the safer option would be to mount everything to the car instead of the seat.

What I'm trying to find out:

- Are there any manuals or how-to's on that issue? Right now I don't even know how to remove the seat
- Are there any preinstalled points for mounting the lap and anti-sub belts directly to the car? Welding new stuff in is not an option for me
- What are the most established solutions?
- What would you recommend?

Thank you very much!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

schroth.com has sopme great tutorial videos to use. i would suggest everything should be independent of the seat in case of a seat failure.

since its a gt2 i would be hesitant to drill the floor. most drill a hole in the floor and add a 1/4" plate on top and bottom to reinforce the sheetmetal. some weld the plates some use the eyebolt.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Mountain Gnome
Advanced

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
schroth.com has sopme great tutorial videos to use. i would suggest everything should be independent of the seat in case of a seat failure.

since its a gt2 i would be hesitant to drill the floor. most drill a hole in the floor and add a 1/4" plate on top and bottom to reinforce the sheetmetal. some weld the plates some use the eyebolt.
Thank you for the input!
How would I go about mounting everything independent of the seat without drilling?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome
Thank you for the input!
How would I go about mounting everything independent of the seat without drilling?
What seats do you have? The gt3 euro seats have side mount anchor points and the sub bar works fine. If you are using aftermarket seats, you may need to add some floor mounting solution. Any competent race shop should be able to do it.

-td
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 AM
BeakerGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a set of Schroth 6 point harnesses in my 6GT2 with Euro elephant ear seats and a Brey Krause harness bar. No drilling. If I can be of assistance let me know -- what seats do you have?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Mountain Gnome
Advanced

Thank you for your help, himself & BeakerGT3!

The seats are what I assume to be "Euro Seats" (996.521.985.01 & 996.521.986.01).
Generally I'd prefer a floor mounting solution, but from what I've understood so far this can not be done without drilling and/or welding, right?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

If you got euro gt3 seats you can mount using Brey Krause sub bars below seat but other than that location you need to drill holes on floor and use backing plates welded top with eye bolts(2) and bottom for best safety. Same goes for lap belts they are mounted on the seat as well unless you want to drill holes. Mike
Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome
Thank you for the input!
about all i can think of to use a bolt in roll bar for the shoulder harness. for the drivers side lap belt theres a schroth mounting eye tab that will use the factory seat belt mounting bolt. the other side of the seat wil eithwer have to be drilled into the floor or use the seat belt tab on the seat mount. sub mount bar on the seat tracks for the sub belt.

not the best but unless your willing to drill or weld the floor thats about the only option you have. you will also have to cut the carpet for any floor mounted eyebolts. mine is a turbo so i wasnt worried about resale. drilled thru the floor and used a 4" rectangle of 1/4" plate steel above and below the floor pan to sandwich it between . drilled and mounted a eyebolt thru both.

Quick Reply: GT2 Harness Options