Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

LF control arm did exactly what it was supposed to do.. they are designed to be lightweight, absorb some of the initial blow thus limiting the amount of impact that reaches the tub.. to hopefully prevent bent frame rails & shear mounting points.

From the angles of your pics, you wouldn't see or be able to tell if a rail is bent. I'm pretty sure that the L inner skirt is tweaked, as you've said and as I can see the deck lid is shifted right. There is also the prospect that the L & R rear rails, or the box rail is as well has moved slightly as well... hence the dent in the right 1/4, unless you hit something additional after impact.

I'm not sure how much of a gap you have between the lid and the closing panel, but you may be able to get a wrench or a socket in there and undo the lid latch to open. Of course you can cut the latch hoop with a sawsall as it will be replaced anyway, as will your deck lid given the damage I see.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:29 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know, but are those damaged posts on the rear actually energy absorbing elements?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Basically part of the bumper support bar which is bolted to the energy absorbing shocks on either end.

Minor impact as you know can destroy the plastic/poly bumper cover, a little more force begins to distort the aluminum bumper support even as the shocks begin to give, and a heavy impact compresses the shocks, when they bottom that load is transferred into the mounting point which is part of the frame rail.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Basically part of the bumper support bar which is bolted to the energy absorbing shocks on either end.

Minor impact as you know can destroy the plastic/poly bumper cover, a little more force begins to distort the aluminum bumper support even as the shocks begin to give, and a heavy impact compresses the shocks, when they bottom that load is transferred into the mounting point which is part of the frame rail.
Sorry. Not sure if you are saying those distorted bumper support parts are indicative of frame damage or not.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by black04
Sorry. Not sure if you are saying those distorted bumper support parts are indicative of frame damage or not.

It could very well be.. op needs to remove the support and the various heat shields to get a better look.. the pics posted will not tell the tale as they are very random. However, experience tells me that between this and the deck-lid being moved 1/2", there is likelyhood the rail and/or inner skirt have moved some as well.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 PM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch

Last edited by 996tt6156R; 03-04-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your crash. Compared to what I did to mine, you lucked out. I'm somewhat looking for a repairable replacement for my tub, but your car might just be too much to fix. I'll be watching.

As far as insurance, I once racked up $42K damage on the car in a DE (current damage was in club race). When Allstate declined to pay, citing policy language that excluded it, I showed them (through my agent) the emails the agent sent me stating I WAS covered for DE's. A few calls later, their tune changed. I ended up paying $500 deductible. I would absolutely see a lawyer.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Sorry to hear about your crash. Compared to what I did to mine, you lucked out. I'm somewhat looking for a repairable replacement for my tub, but your car might just be too much to fix. I'll be watching.

As far as insurance, I once racked up $42K damage on the car in a DE (current damage was in club race). When Allstate declined to pay, citing policy language that excluded it, I showed them (through my agent) the emails the agent sent me stating I WAS covered for DE's. A few calls later, their tune changed. I ended up paying $500 deductible. I would absolutely see a lawyer.
Wish I had your luck. When I did that with my insurance co they told me to pound sand and go after the agent if I wanted anything.

I've now engaged an attorney, but I don't expect that I'll get made "whole" after factoring in the attorney fees and such. Live and learn!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
The chart shown is model specific but general in nature. It shows all the possible fixtures that can be used.. However, when used they are broken out further for the type of repair being done, i.e., front-rear, engine in/engine out, front/rear suspension in/out, or a combination thereof. Also, the diagram does not show the clamps used secure the tub.

That being said, you can expect the charge to range from half to full day of labor just to set-up the bench and get the car on it.

Repeat: just because a shop has a Cellette doesn't mean they're good with it. And not all shops rent their jigs/fixtures.. many do because they can't afford to own them.. others do because they're working on so many makes it doesn't make sense to try to own them. A shop that does marque specific work will have they're own jigs/fixtures and know the specifics of the vehicle a lot better.
Kind of a delayed reply...

The charge for Celette bench time is what it is. Many insurance companies balk at this expense. Lesser cars, or lesser demanding owners are ok with this.

But I go by what the factory has to say on this subject and its repair guidelines specifically call for the car to be checked and brought into spec on a Celette Bench (or its equivalent the name escapes me).

A good shop will *not* own the fixture/gages. Better to rent these. Celette maintains this and keeps this within tolerance so when a shop rents the gages/fixtures they are assured they are accurate and dependable. If a shop owns these then it is a an expense and a bother to have these recalibrated every so often. The bench and its gages/fixtures are a precision measuring instrument/inspection tool and to be of any use must be kept in tip top shape.

Any old shop can have a Celette bench that is for sure. But one should seek out/use a shop that is a Porsche Approved Collision Center which improves ones odds the shop knows more than how to spell Celette but actually knows what its for and how to use it to bring the car back to its pre collision condition.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

As a Factory Certified repair facility for Porsche, Audi, Tesla, Lamborghini, McLaren and Rolls Royce, we go by what the factory has to say on this subject as well!!

As a good shop, with several Celette benches, we own numerous fixtures/gauges (ck your spelling) for older models, some that Celette even no longer owns.

We only rent for newer (odd ball) models.. and should a fixture be out of spec.. which is extremely rare, and would be cause by improper use, which one would have to work hard to due given the robustness of the too.. it is then replaced by Celette.

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM
Jose Carrera
Cruisin'

Where is it now?

Quick Reply: Crashed GT3