Sponsored by:

Crashed GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
First - I'm very glad to hear you are OK.

Having been through a total loss with our old 997 turbo recently I can tell you that you will almost be insulted by the value that is placed on the car by anyone that purchases salvage vehicles. It will be around 20% of it's pre-accident value. I purchased our turbo back from insurance and all I had to do was tie the high bid for the car which came in at 21% of the value I got paid for the car.

The right buyer who wants to bring it back will pay a little more for the car knowing what their end goal is.

Given that i say fix it.

Curious if your estimate has a replacement rear subframe on it? It takes very little to break the subframe and most shops miss it in the original estimate.
It doesn't appear that there is a replacement rear subframe on the list. Interesting that most shops miss it - sounds expensive.

Originally Posted by gman3280
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. As one that is considering track insurance can you share why the claim was denied?
100% proponent of track insurance after this experience. Call me naive or ignorant, but I relied on multiple emails from my insurance agent telling me I'd be covered for HPDE. After this experience, I came to find out that my policy excludes coverage for anything that occurs on a racetrack regardless if I was racing or not. If any lawyers want to chime in on my potential for a case, please feel free. The insurance company playing both judge and jury didn't think so, but it doesn't mean they're right.

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Ouch. Has anyone said that it will buff out yet?

Perhaps it is time to make it a track car. Lesson learned on track insurance.
+1 I learned my (very expensive) lesson.

Originally Posted by black04
I think that means source the parts yourself. Get used parts and less expensive new parts from the out-of-state dealers that specialize in discount/internet sales.

You can probably save $5000 on parts alone...
Definitely an option.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by SBGT3
Hello all,

I had an unfortunate incident with my GT3
OUCH

Sorry to see this and glad that you are OK.
If it were my car, I would put it away for several weeks before deciding path forward.
Right now the experience must be quite raw.

Any chance that this occurred in turn six at Laguna Seca?
Only asking because I came all too close to a similar ending there several years ago.

I am now going to buy insurance for an upcoming DE.

Craig
Old 01-13-2017, 05:11 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgfen
OUCH

Sorry to see this and glad that you are OK.
If it were my car, I would put it away for several weeks before deciding path forward.
Right now the experience must be quite raw.

Any chance that this occurred in turn six at Laguna Seca?
Only asking because I came all too close to a similar ending there several years ago.

I am now going to buy insurance for an upcoming DE.

Craig
This actually happened back in November, but initially I was very optimistic that my insurance would cover me and all would be alright in the world. Now I'm at the raw emotion stage where I'm a little overwhelmed with how to approach it.

Definitely get track insurance! Not a day goes by where I don't dwell on this and think about how I should've never trusted my agent's word, and how I should've read the full policy myself and consequently got track insurance upon realizing my agent was wrong.

Last edited by SBGT3; 01-13-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm a lawyer, but I'm not licensed in your state and cannot give you legal advice. PM me and I'll get you a referral (I have a lot). I don't want to get your hopes up, but if you have something in writing from your agent saying your are covered, and you subsequently relied on that, the company could very well be "estopped" to deny coverage, even though the "fine print" of the policy language excludes coverage. This is especially true in California, where the rights of insureds are often favored over those of insurers in the resolution of such disputes. You could also argue that the written statements by your agent effectively amended the policy to provide coverage despite the exclusion (and that without this statement/modification from the agent, you would have never taken the car on the track, at least not without specific track insurance, which you thought you had). My gut instinct is that any attorney worth his/her salt would at least have enough here to make things very uncomfortable for the insurance company, and after looking at Cal. case law things might be even clearer than that. Oh, and one more thing, no more public posts about the accident!!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait, you have something in writing from your agent saying that you were covered?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

If you have emails from your Agent confirming HPDE events are covered, and if he has E&O insurance or any assets worth 30k or more, you will get your car fixed!

Not a lawyer but spent 30 years in the insurance industry.

I do like the idea posted commenting; sit out a few weeks to let the emotions settle down. I have bent more than one race car on the track and its a real roller coaster.

Glad no one was hurt. Parts can be replaced.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:52 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to see this. Glad you're ok. Hope you fix it and get back out there - those yellow belts and calipers on polar are just great!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:52 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Also sorry to see this. I think if you have the means, fix it and continue to enjoy the car. The longer you drive the car after repair, the fact that the car has been in an accident becomes less significant as time goes on. That's thinking with the head. Thinking with the heart, sometimes an event like this can taint ones experience with a car, and that's OK too.

GL with whatever you decide to do and glad to hear you are OK.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see this. IMHO, you should get it fixed - and I highly recommend by an expert.

LVDell introduced me to Kent Moore at Premier Sportscar Service in Las Vegas back in '05, and he is the ONLY guy that I let touch my GT3 because he is tight with Porsche Motorsports. Kent is an absolute expert on the GT2/GT3s, a complete perfectionist - and was a factory Porsche Motorsports mechanic whose team won at LeMans. When the local Porsche dealer in LV can't fix a 959 or a 918 - they send it to him. And above all, Kent's rates are very fair. (I find most Porsche dealers & independents price gouge - and do sloppy work.)

Good luck!
-B
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also saved every email my agent has sent. That was a wise move.

Agree with others, you now have a cause against the agents e&o insurance, or the agent personally...

Especially if that's what the agent said AFTER you bought the policy...

Talk to a lawyer
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Sorry to see this. IMHO, you should get it fixed - and I highly recommend by an expert.

LVDell introduced me to Kent Moore at Premier Sportscar Service in Las Vegas back in '05, and he is the ONLY guy that I let touch my GT3 because he is tight with Porsche Motorsports. Kent is an absolute expert on the GT2/GT3s, a complete perfectionist - and was a factory Porsche Motorsports mechanic whose team won at LeMans. When the local Porsche dealer in LV can't fix a 959 or a 918 - they send it to him. And above all, Kent's rates are very fair. (I find most Porsche dealers & independents price gouge - and do sloppy work.)

Good luck!
-B
absolutely, kent at premier is great with these cars.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
Wait, you have something in writing from your agent saying that you were covered?
Correct. The insurance company is aware of this, but still denied my appeal.

Originally Posted by 996AE
If you have emails from your Agent confirming HPDE events are covered, and if he has E&O insurance or any assets worth 30k or more, you will get your car fixed!

Not a lawyer but spent 30 years in the insurance industry.

I do like the idea posted commenting; sit out a few weeks to let the emotions settle down. I have bent more than one race car on the track and its a real roller coaster.

Glad no one was hurt. Parts can be replaced.
Thanks, Rick! I will keep you posted if I decide to sell the car as is.

Originally Posted by mistermct
Sorry to see this. Glad you're ok. Hope you fix it and get back out there - those yellow belts and calipers on polar are just great!
Thank you! It pains me knowing that this happened to such a rare car.

Originally Posted by spiller
Also sorry to see this. I think if you have the means, fix it and continue to enjoy the car. The longer you drive the car after repair, the fact that the car has been in an accident becomes less significant as time goes on. That's thinking with the head. Thinking with the heart, sometimes an event like this can taint ones experience with a car, and that's OK too.

Thank you for the kind words!

Originally Posted by blake

Good luck!
-B
Thank you for the recommendation! I really wish I could get my car over to him now for a repair estimate, but I have no cost effective means of transporting the car that far. Heck, the only reason my car is still sitting at a shop and not in my garage is because I don't have a cheap or easy way to move it 300 miles south. That, and I'm still trying to pursue the legal route to get my insurance company to cover it.

Originally Posted by bpu699
I have also saved every email my agent has sent. That was a wise move.

Agree with others, you now have a cause against the agents e&o insurance, or the agent personally...

Especially if that's what the agent said AFTER you bought the policy...

Talk to a lawyer
Emails were exchanged LONG after the policy was purchased. That's still the route I'm pursuing at this point.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by SBGT3
100% proponent of track insurance after this experience. Call me naive or ignorant, but I relied on multiple emails from my insurance agent telling me I'd be covered for HPDE. After this experience, I came to find out that my policy excludes coverage for anything that occurs on a racetrack regardless if I was racing or not.
Bummer. Hope you bring her back.

Who was your carrier? I ask because I went through a similar dialogue with MetLife regarding coverage of a prior GT3. The agent also claimed in writing multiple times that I was covered for DE events. Thankfully I never had to test it and I purchased track insurance just in case as I wasn't confident they'd stand behind the policy.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

+1^
I'd certainly pursue legal review with a well versed ins. atty too.
You now have an official track car if you decide to keep it and fix...however, the amount of time spent messing around with fixing can grow beyond your expectations.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 PM
SBGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
Bummer. Hope you bring her back.

Who was your carrier? I ask because I went through a similar dialogue with MetLife regarding coverage of a prior GT3. The agent also claimed in writing multiple times that I was covered for DE events. Thankfully I never had to test it and I purchased track insurance just in case as I wasn't confident they'd stand behind the policy.
You're a wiser man than I. Carrier was Mercury Insurance.

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
+1^
I'd certainly pursue legal review with a well versed ins. atty too.
You now have an official track car if you decide to keep it and fix...however, the amount of time spent messing around with fixing can grow beyond your expectations.
I agree. One of the main reasons I'm hesitant to pursue fixing it if the legal angle doesn't pan out is because I really don't want just a track car. Fixing my car while knowing what it has been through I think would taint the ownership for me. I only track my cars 3-5 times/year, so I'm more interested in a cream puff that likes it rough every once in a while

Quick Reply: Crashed GT3