Sponsored by:

5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ no, you just need alignment. several of us were sub 1.42 with stock car except pads, safety stuff and RA1 tires at LS.

but a comfy street car it is not (stock or modified)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:43 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
you have the garage space as well !!!
yes my cave is almost done.
and my daughter inadvertently said, " we can just live here". fridge, microwave, shower....

Originally Posted by mmuller
Interesting perspectives. Let me offer some other thoughts.

Since opening my shop a year ago I have seen several things take place in respect to 6GT3's. First is the desire amoung many who are tracking 997 GT3's to take them off the track and either park them or sell them as they feel they are worth to much money to continue to track them. However, the opposite seems to be true with 6GT3's (more on this below)

Second is the proliferation of GT4's and like Andy, know a few GT4 owners who came from 6GT3's. Interestingly a few of these would like to move on from the GT4 and go back to a 6GT3. I have yet to find a GT4 I could not catch, pass and pull away from. Even massaged ones. Admittedly, my car isn't close to stock these days, but it will hold its own, even against 991 GT3's/RS's and Cups. For no where near the money of any of those cars.

Third is the proliferation of 6GT3 based track cars. There is 5 in my shop right now, all for the track. 2 of those belong to drivers who came from 997/991 based cars. They both realized they needed core basic skills to go faster and the more modern cars couldn't provide that.

These points lead me to believe that the current 6GT3 value is seen within the market as a 'bargain'. A bargain would suggest their is room for movement up. The question is how much. This I would tend to agree with Mooty. It will follow the trajectory of the newer models.

To me, looks are subjective. 964's where considered ugly and not keeping within the design spirit. In time, 996's will loose the stigma in the looks department.

What I tell my clients when they ask if the time is right from a value perspective and investment potential is that they are looking at it wrong. The 6GT3 is about enjoying the experience of such a raw and connected car that very few other cars can really provide, trying to put a $ number on that is just wrong. If your not up for having a car teach you about driving, scaring you occasionally, ride rough, be a terrible street car, be a telepathic extension of yourself on track and overall the closet a car ever came to touching your soul, move along, nothing to see here. If you can afford it and the vehicle I described above is what you seek, there never is a better time than now to make a purchase.
x2
Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

I am in love with my 6GT3. With all the "right" mods it's a perfect track car and has no issue keeping up with or passing 997/991 at the track. It's a nice mix of challenging and predictability whilst giving the feeling that cannot be achieved with any modern performance car. I find I rarely drive it on the street unless I feel like annoying my neighbours or in the mood for a good arm wrestle. It's terrible. So I conclude that I only really have it for the track and to look at in the driveway. It might be the right time to sell and try out a cup for a while...I don't track as much as some on here but when I do I want to go as fast as possible. One day I'll stop procrastinating on the matter and make a decision but the street car is my security blanket. It's hard to let go of.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Interesting perspectives. Let me offer some other thoughts.

Since opening my shop a year ago I have seen several things take place in respect to 6GT3's. First is the desire amoung many who are tracking 997 GT3's to take them off the track and either park them or sell them as they feel they are worth to much money to continue to track them. However, the opposite seems to be true with 6GT3's (more on this below)

Second is the proliferation of GT4's and like Andy, know a few GT4 owners who came from 6GT3's. Interestingly a few of these would like to move on from the GT4 and go back to a 6GT3. I have yet to find a GT4 I could not catch, pass and pull away from. Even massaged ones. Admittedly, my car isn't close to stock these days, but it will hold its own, even against 991 GT3's/RS's and Cups. For no where near the money of any of those cars.

Third is the proliferation of 6GT3 based track cars. There is 5 in my shop right now, all for the track. 2 of those belong to drivers who came from 997/991 based cars. They both realized they needed core basic skills to go faster and the more modern cars couldn't provide that.

These points lead me to believe that the current 6GT3 value is seen within the market as a 'bargain'. A bargain would suggest their is room for movement up. The question is how much. This I would tend to agree with Mooty. It will follow the trajectory of the newer models.

To me, looks are subjective. 964's where considered ugly and not keeping within the design spirit. In time, 996's will loose the stigma in the looks department.

What I tell my clients when they ask if the time is right from a value perspective and investment potential is that they are looking at it wrong. The 6GT3 is about enjoying the experience of such a raw and connected car that very few other cars can really provide, trying to put a $ number on that is just wrong. If your not up for having a car teach you about driving, scaring you occasionally, ride rough, be a terrible street car, be a telepathic extension of yourself on track and overall the closet a car ever came to touching your soul, move along, nothing to see here. If you can afford it and the vehicle I described above is what you seek, there never is a better time than now to make a purchase.
Agree with this^

A lot of friends regretting selling their 996gt3! I've done the same mistake myself with a mk1 many years ago.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. Such an engaging car. Gotta take it out when weather permits to protect seals and get it up to temperature. The GT4's in NE all seemed Modded already. They are running with the turbo guys. I can't keep up with them. Or maybe the older I get the faster I was.
7 years now running this car. I'm confident I could get what I paid. Been a great machine. RELIABLE !!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Have had my 6GT3 since new (21k miles now) and have mild mods on her. No aftermarket items but all Cup upgrades. I still love it to death and it is a love/hate relationship car. Driving on street is the hate, but once you get to the track it is a fantastic beast.

Anyway I got the bug and picked up a new GT4 a short time back. Haven't driven it much but am looking forward to getting it on the track in the Spring.

Not sure I will sell the GT3, but have to figure out what I will do with it so future is TBD.

Chet
Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
The GT4's in NE all seemed Modded already. They are running with the turbo guys.
To be fair....prep for prep I think the GT4 is a quicker car, still just lots of people trying to get comfortable with them and get fully up to speed is my take. Took me a few years with my car to really feel comfortable and feel like I was getting anywhere near the limits of the car.

I'm not giving up the experience of my car for anything. Heck our 997.2 TTs would be quicker track car if prepped properly it's just not what I wanted in a track car.

Like many other here..I don't really find the GT3 a good road car at all. I'm stubborn so i drive mine on the street 1-2 days a week when it's nice out but it's just not great for that. Saturday morning spirited drive to cars and coffee sure, drive to work in rush hour traffic - no thanks.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by CME
Have had my 6GT3 since new (21k miles now) and have mild mods on her. No aftermarket items but all Cup upgrades. I still love it to death and it is a love/hate relationship car. Driving on street is the hate, but once you get to the track it is a fantastic beast.

Anyway I got the bug and picked up a new GT4 a short time back. Haven't driven it much but am looking forward to getting it on the track in the Spring.

Not sure I will sell the GT3, but have to figure out what I will do with it so future is TBD.

Chet
Comparison between the two cars once you have a chance to track the GT4 would be great. Please and thank you!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

The new 2017 Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide came out and may have an error in pricing. I've reported it although I'm happy to entertain offers per the guide.
The figures are "Median" prices. Comparing to some other cars I own it would otherwise appear to be "on the money".
Attached Images  

Last edited by sithot; 12-29-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

It's that close to the pointy end of the spear eh? One of my complaints about the M3 is that while it's got a license plate, A/C and a radio, it's really stepped over the line to track car.

It's not all that comfy driving around town. I'd kinda like to get something that's a little more street biased. Not as a DD, my Cayenne fills that role, but something I can still take to the office here and there and out with my wife.

I'm wondering if I'm better off keeping the M3 as my track car and adding a 996 Turbo to the stable. The cost (and intended use) of the GT3 would require that the M3 gets sold...
Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

A friend of mine picked up a "reasonable milage" 996 Turbo X50. He installed a full Techart suspension and now has a super nice handling driver that is quite quick when pressed but otherwise very docile. It's a very pleasant car to drive. Best of both worlds in many ways.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 353 Posts

I say go for it...life's too short!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
It's that close to the pointy end of the spear eh? One of my complaints about the M3 is that while it's got a license plate, A/C and a radio, it's really stepped over the line to track car.

It's not all that comfy driving around town. I'd kinda like to get something that's a little more street biased. Not as a DD, my Cayenne fills that role, but something I can still take to the office here and there and out with my wife.

I'm wondering if I'm better off keeping the M3 as my track car and adding a 996 Turbo to the stable. The cost (and intended use) of the GT3 would require that the M3 gets sold...
We sound like we have similar taste in cars, so let me give you my take, for what its worth (whcih is not much, since everyone is different). I owned a 996 tt for 5 years, lots of mods, and loved it, but a gt3 it was not! Sure, the turbo was faster, but for guys like me (and possibly you) who are content with the power of even an e36 m3, absolute straight line speed is like number 5 on the list of importance. I value feel, feedback, and candidly, exclusivity. I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy owning something that you don't see everyday on the street (I see a 911 turbo multiple times a day where I work in Scottsdale). Its also nice that because of low production numbers, its not going to depreciate into the teens!

And, I have to say again, I really think the 6 gt3 is not a bad street car at all. Of course, this is subjective and location and use dependent. If you can only have one car..."get a different car." If you need a commuter "get a different car (top gear 996 gt3 quotes!). The prior owner of my car lived in downtown L.A., and yes, the car sucked for that locale. But guess what, ANY sports car is going to suck in downtown L.A! Where I live (full on suburbia), the gt3 is great for errands, running around, or just taking off for a late night drive and the occasional office commute (just because!). Its not too harsh, lots of easy, open roads, and just fun to drive. Sure, it doesn't really shine on the street like it shines on the track, but its still fun to take to redline and put through its paces.

If getting a 6-3 is a bit of a stretch, but would not be a "stupid" financial decision, I say go for it, even if you have to finance (again, they don't depreciate like "normal" cars). I like mine more each time I drive it (kind of like my wife, sure the newness has worn off, but I can honestly say that I love her more now than I did when I was 23, and I even think she's prettier now!).

There is not going to be a better time to get one of these. Sure, you might save a few bucks if there is a market correction, but who really cares if you want the car to drive and to love? And, if you plan to keep it for a while, who cares is there are temporary ups and downs in demand and resale prices. Unless you are looking to flip, I say buy now and enjoy it for years!

Also curious if you have much seat time in a 996 gt3. They are fantastic but it takes some time to appreciate as you learn the car and what it needs from the driver to feel good. A test drive here and there is not enough. The first time I test drove a 6 gt3 I was seriously underwhelmed, and hopped back into the sofa in my modded 996tt laughing at how folks overpay for these!!! Not anymore.

Its funny, on paper my euro m3 should not be much slower than my gt3, and should not be much less involving and quick on the track. After all, it has over 330 hp and is WAY lighter than my gt3 (its almost completely stripped). But all it takes is 30 seconds in the gt3 to realize it is a much, much more special car, that is way faster and feels much better than its "lowly" 380hp would suggest on paper. It truly is more than the sum of its parts, in the same way a 240 hp e36 is better (and more fun, to me at least) than a modded 90's mustang with much more hp! I say do it, and do it now!!!! If you like your m3 you will absolutely love a 6-3!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CME

Chet
let me know when it's time you selling GT3.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I just have thicker skin. I am 55 and drove mine from Pittsburgh spending 5 days shredding the roads in Va, NC and TN. I am a retired motocross and motorcycle road racer so sitting in a car getting bounced around listening to my Cargraphic exhaust is nothing compared to getting launched off a dirt bike or sliding at 100 mph plus on asphalt. I sure hope this didn't come across as sticking my chest out, just sayin' I don't mind driving mine on the street at all and can't think of another way to say drive the damn car - anywhere!

Quick Reply: 5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?