Sponsored by:

Coolant line failure on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:50 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant line failure on track

Wanted to share what happened to me this past week-end. Finally decided last year to get my lines pinned while other things were being worked on. I was at Chuckwalla this past week-end and a line failed on me. Ruined my week-end and obviously inconvenience many others. Let me tell you... I went out there to help clean my mess and it is no easy or fun task. It was brutal!

After inspection, my mechanic found the line that "popped" and it turned out it was one that was not pinned. The line that failed for me is the line going into the oil cooler as shown in pictures below. What I'm wondering now is this... Did the shop that did my pinning missed this? Or should I have specifically told them to pin ALL since this specific line doesn't go into the engine block?

So here we go again... engine drop, inspect everything, make sure ALL lines are pinned and put back. My wallet is crying
Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Crap! That hose from what I hear is the most common one to pop, it's hidden behind alternator.

Is it pictured here? I think it is:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

It almost looks like there's a bolt head in that last picture???...did they pin that fitting and just not execute the pinning correctly?

There should be 8 fittings on the 996 (only 6 on a 997). The ones that are most commonly overlooked are the ones attached to the lower oil cooler housing and the one hiding behind the power steering pump. That's pretty odd that that particular one would have been missed.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Crap! That hose from what I hear is the most common one to pop, it's hidden behind alternator.

Is it pictured here? I think it is:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Picture is from a 997, my car is a 996 and that area looks a little different for me. But the hose that failed was in the same general area than shown in the picture.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
It almost looks like there's a bolt head in that last picture???...did they pin that fitting and just not execute the pinning correctly?

There should be 8 fittings on the 996 (only 6 on a 997). The ones that are most commonly overlooked are the ones attached to the lower oil cooler housing and the one hiding behind the power steering pump. That's pretty odd that that particular one would have been missed.
The line that failed is exactly that, lower oil cooler housing. There is no sign of attempting to pin that line. Why was that line not pinned when the first shop did the work????
Old 10-23-2016, 02:08 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ti-jean
Why was that line not pinned when the first shop did the work????
It requires more work to do than the easy ones?
That's one you wouldn't notice they didn't do?
Maybe it wasn't done on purpose or charged?
All sucky answers...

At least you'll know the car is tight going forward.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it possible to pin lines without removing the engine?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:37 PM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Issue

The same fitting recently let go on my 6gt3. Thinking about biting the bullet and having them all welded + hoses replaced. Add in the "while you're in there" items = $$$$.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

^darn that's one clean out of showroom engine bay!!! Mike
Old 10-23-2016, 04:47 PM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^darn that's one clean out of showroom engine bay!!! Mike

Thanks Mike, I took that picture after spending an hour or so cleaning all the coolant splattering out of the engine bay.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Is it possible to pin lines without removing the engine?
It's much more difficult on a 996 because of the 2 fittings on the oil cooler housing. They require quite a bit of top end disassembly to get to those last 2 fittings.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 PM
RedHondaSi
Track Day

Default Coolant hoses

Andy was able to stop by the dealer and point out the hoses that sometimes go out. The are indicated with the yellow arrows. I got mine replaced as I have about 41K miles on those hoses. Didn't want to take a chance if we do "One Lap of America" next year.
I have a mix of some welds and pins.

Name:  gt3%20hoses.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  283.0 KB
Old 10-24-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Goad she's coming back together and glad you replaced those main hoses. She's going to be trouble free for many many miles to come.

Originally Posted by RedHondaSi
Andy was able to stop by the dealer and point out the hoses that sometimes go out. The are indicated with the yellow arrows. I got mine replaced as I have about 41K miles on those hoses. Didn't want to take a chance if we do "One Lap of America" next year.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had a few of these burst on me in different cars, one of them while on track. Visually it looked almost as if the whole thing shifts into the motor mount edge causing it to burst but can't be 100% certain. Needless to say I replace it now anytime the engine comes out.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 10-26-2016, 05:47 PM
porcha monkey
Rennlist Member

i've seen those larger hoses pop off a few times. Usually the metal clips fatigue and then the hoses just pop off. We safety wire all those coolant fittings on the race cars. It's a easy job that can be done at home, it's just a little time consuming to properly safety some of them.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by porcha monkey
i've seen those larger hoses pop off a few times. Usually the metal clips fatigue and then the hoses just pop off. We safety wire all those coolant fittings on the race cars. It's a easy job that can be done at home, it's just a little time consuming to properly safety some of them.
Could you post pics of this?

Quick Reply: Coolant line failure on track