Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Motor Mounts

I have not seen many recent discussions on motor mounts. I was looking at my car today and noticed the left (drivers side) rubber was wearing out from looking at the rubber on top. The right seems fine. Of course, I would not know unless I took them out for full inspection.

I am guessing this is something I should fix since the car is mainly for the track, right?

Are Wevo's still one of the best to get for a semi-solid mount? I looked at their site and they have a 997 SS which they say is for a 996 GT3.

Also, looks like if the car is on jack stands you have easy access to both left and right without having to remove the airbox or any other component? Any other tips for an install? Wevo's website has the proper/recommended torque settings.

I am attaching a picture of my left & right and the and new Wevo one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

What mounts are those in your car?...they aren't OEM.

They actually look like the Wevo mounts I installed in my old 996 C2. Most of the aftermarket mounts like that you can just buy the insert piece to freshen them up instead of having to buy a whole new mount.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

They definitely are Wevo mounts! I know I purchased them at least 5 years ago, and maybe longer. I will look into the refresh option vs. $400 to purchase new ones. If I did purchase new ones are the Wevo 997 SS mounts the right application?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I ordered the solid ones. Looked at Wevo, but decided to go full on solid. Ordered transmission mount and the F1 inserts as well. With a tranny fluid flush, the car should be good for the new track season.

Also, one of my buddies told me he uses a pesticide sprayer for transmission changes. I watched a YouTube video on it, and it seems easy-peazy. Insert fluid, pump it up, add to transmission.

-td
Old 03-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that would be the correct mount for you. However you should be able to get replacement pillows for them.

Wevo makes a great product as do many other manufacturers. RSS makes a nice mount as well. I think the RSS looks nice but the functionality of the mount is the same as Wevo.

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-perfo.../i-533242.aspx
Old 03-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I ordered the solid ones. Looked at Wevo, but decided to go full on solid.
We typically advise against this because of the noise and vibration transfer into the car as well as the possibility of adversely affecting the knock sensors. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Hi Jake,
The RSS look nice. Good to know at least I am looking at the right part and application. No solid mounts for me for the reason you pointed out, and more stress on the car. Now, I have 3 option. 1) New Pillows, 2) Wevo's 3) RSS

Any tips on the install?
I was thinking put the car on jack stands and use a floor jack under the case to support the motor. The question is how much would I have to play with the floor jack to make sure everything is in the right place. Also, I saw a video to make sure old and we mounts are the same length. Would you recommend using any blue loctite on any side? I am guessing if I am only replacing the pillows I probably don't have to worry about length.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

Has anyone got a pic of the stock mount? Trying to work out what is in my car. Looks very OEM with a stamped alloy top.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:31 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Has anyone got a pic of the stock mount? Trying to work out what is in my car. Looks very OEM with a stamped alloy top.

and before anyone asks...yes I have an exhaust that's > 105 DB at full song but i won't swap out the stock motor or tranny mounts for fear of extra interior NVH. I had Wevo's in my old C2 and they were great. I remember when I installed them that I didn't feel the increase in NVH was that much...then when I sold the car and put the stock mounts back in I was amazed at how calm and quiet the interior of the car was all of a sudden.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ thanks buddy, that's what's in mine. Motor and gearbox mounts are probably the last mod I am considering on mine, for those who have done them, what are the benefits and is it a worthwhile upgrade? My car is already monoballed everywhere, toe linked and track aligned. Is there a significant advantage to be gained?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:39 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Spiller, the semi-solid mounts will slow down the movement of the engine for all movements (acceleration, braking, corning) and will make the car more stable vs. the OEM hydraulic mounts. Will the change result in faster lap times, maybe. You might feel more confident since the car is better balanced. The $400 upgrade for the part will be much less expensive than any suspension or aerodynamics changes.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:15 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
We typically advise against this because of the noise and vibration transfer into the car as well as the possibility of adversely affecting the knock sensors. Let us know how it works out for you.
Mikymu and a few others had the wevos. And then solid. Seems like an upgrade to Wevo.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/602193-rennline-solid-engine-mount-review.html
Old 03-26-2016, 12:36 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Those are Wevos for sure, I have them. Simply purchase the replacement pillows in black or blue, blue is firmer as I recall. Simple 30 minute job. Support motor with jack and do one side at a time. Replace both so you have fresh on both sides. Follow instructions and you are good to go.

Spiller, the Wevo's tie the motor to the car and mate them as one. Better shifting and more cohesive feel. I went from OEM to Wevo and felt the diff immediately. Less slop and movement. Worthy upgrade. I will do trans mounts at some point, but will have to live with more sound in the cabin. Def makes shifting more enjoyable.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:11 PM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
Yes that would be the correct mount for you. However you should be able to get replacement pillows for them.

Wevo makes a great product as do many other manufacturers. RSS makes a nice mount as well. I think the RSS looks nice but the functionality of the mount is the same as Wevo.

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-perfo.../i-533242.aspx
I'm using the RSS mounts. A worthy upgrade.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:55 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Spiller, the semi-solid mounts will slow down the movement of the engine for all movements (acceleration, braking, corning) and will make the car more stable vs. the OEM hydraulic mounts. Will the change result in faster lap times, maybe. You might feel more confident since the car is better balanced. The $400 upgrade for the part will be much less expensive than any suspension or aerodynamics changes.
Thanks Rodney, seems like I need to consider this a little more seriously then.

Chris: What's the NVH like with the blue Wevo mounts?

Tom: Can you comment on the NVH of the RSS mount? Their website says no increase in NVH but I find that hard to believe. It's a pretty looking part.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts