Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 Headers and Lightweight Mufflers by Charles Dundon/RK Autowerks: Group Buy

Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I, too, have one of Charles' exhaust systems on my car, and I'd like to join with others who have praised his work. Because Charles lives near me, it's been a great pleasure to get to know him and watch how he works. The dyno charts in this thread were from my car -- a 996 GT3 with a stock engine except for a lightweight flywheel and a 4.0 R&P. Charles used my car as a test bed for his systems -- with his help, I've had at least four exhaust systems on my car since I've owned it -- stock, AWE Tuning, and Charles' dual outlet and center outlet systems. And there have been a few iterations of the dual outlet system, in which he experimented with header length and muffler design. Each of these systems has been dyno tested on my car, and I've been there to share in the experience. Charles' approach -- which is both academic (he understands the theory and dynamics of exhaust system design) and practical (he tests everything on a dyno and adjusts the design to optimize it in real life) works well for my engineering sensibilities. You can see from the dyno graph exactly where the benefit accrues, and by how much. Interestingly, the AWE system produced literally no more power than stock -- anywhere -- yet it came with a very big price tag and claims of grandeur.

Charles' systems produce a remarkably pure sound and are a fraction of the weight of the stock system. I have the weights documented, but without looking back at the actual numbers, I recall the dual outlet system was approximately 1/4 the weight of a stock system, at a savings of about 80 lb. The center outlet system was similar. There are no cats, of course, but in four years of track use, I've never triggered a CEL -- and it's passed the emissions testing here. They are loud, though. I blew a 106 db at Thunderhill with the dual outlet system. I was able to pass the 103 db sound limit by using turn-down pipes to aim the sound away from the meter. I don't have a sound reading on the center outlet system yet, but it's my sense that it is slightly quieter than the dual system -- especially at high rpm. On the street, depending on your tolerance, you can use them, but it helps a lot to keep the revs and throttle opening down.

Here's a pic of the center outlet system under construction on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:36 PM
herrquan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snickers
I just realized this but I think I have 4 guys with SY 996 gt3's with my exhaust on it. One guy in Canada is coming down today actually. Then you two and joes friend.
Catching up on some reading and realized I'm that Canadian guy

Mic'd at the bumper but audio is mediocre at best. It does not do the exhaust justice.

Last edited by herrquan; 12-24-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: video does not display properly
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jamie just out of interest can you overlay the CD equiped 996 dyno with a CD equiped 997 dyno, would be nice to see the power and torque curves between models (be for any one asks I know the numbers will be fairly meaning less, I am after the curve and see where the dips and peaks appear.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Jamie just out of interest can you overlay the CD equiped 996 dyno with a CD equiped 997 dyno, would be nice to see the power and torque curves between models (be for any one asks I know the numbers will be fairly meaning less, I am after the curve and see where the dips and peaks appear.
I can, I think we may have one. The dual outlet and center outlet 996-3 are a little different. I'll see if I can out up all three.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep that would be interesting to see all configerations on the 996 plus the 997 for s*its and giggles. Thanks Jamie and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BLUE - stock 996-3
RED - dual exit exhaust
GREEN - center exit exhaust
PURPLE - stock 997-3 rs
BROWN - exhaust

Old 02-12-2016, 12:32 AM
RaceDevelopments
Advanced

Nice looking exhaust. That's a lot of money for no cats and only 278 ft. lbs though.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopments
Nice looking exhaust. That's a lot of money for no cats and only 278 ft. lbs though.
Okay, I'll take the bait.

So what do you propose as a better choice?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopments
First the 991 GT3 thread, now this one. Seriously mate, get lost. All your doing is making your companies credibility reduce to below zero with all this keyboard warrior nonsense. This isn't facebook.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reza
First the 991 GT3 thread, now this one. Seriously mate, get lost. All your doing is making your companies credibility reduce to below zero with all this keyboard warrior nonsense. This isn't facebook.
Agreed^^^^. Put up or shut up!!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 PM
RaceDevelopments
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reza
As I stated in the other thread, I don't make retail exhaust systems and I have nothing to sell. Rob has proposed a same day back to back comparo that I am willing to do.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have been busy with building many 997 and 991 exhausts but still have pieces for several 996 setups.

Any interest in 996 dual exit setups for around $5750?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:24 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles@dundonmotorsports
So I have been busy with building many 997 and 991 exhausts but still have pieces for several 996 setups.

Any interest in 996 dual exit setups for around $5750?
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 AM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would actually be using a different center muffler setup as to keep it a little quieter, by request of several. Just curious on interest and I will have another local probably lend me their car to go test with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Headers and Lightweight Mufflers by Charles Dundon/RK Autowerks: Group Buy