Sponsored by:

GT3 Oil level on dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GT3 Oil level on dip stick

Just went to check the oil level and I did not see it register on the stick. Did not see a low oil warning light when I drove it home. So I checked the manual and it's says the car must be running in order to check oil level. I will try that tomorrow when I start it up again. Is it normal that when it is shut off that the oil level won't register on the stick??? I hope I don't need to panic....
Old 09-22-2003, 11:35 PM
ShortShift
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the GT3 have the oil level indicator on the instrument panel at start up? Well respected Porsche mechanics assure me that indicator is very accurate. First P-car I've heard of that has to be running to check the oil.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:51 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

ShortShift, the manual says:
Conditions for measurement of the oil level:
1) Engine Idling
2) Engine at operating temperature
3)Vehicle is level.
There is an electronic level guage with the computer...Reading the manual to figure that out. From what I can tell, the engine must be running to get a level reading. Interesting. I will know for sure, when I start her up tomorrow...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:13 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Maybe the reason why there is no oil level registered on the stick when the motor is not running is due to the dry sump lubrication system employed in this motor with a separate oil tank. My guess is that when the motor runs the main pump will pump the oil through the engine and so that is when you get a reading. I guess I will call the dealer. I can't imagine that a car from the factory with less than 50 miles has no oil....hopefully
Old 09-23-2003, 01:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Not only does the motor have to be running but you REALLY NEED the oil to be at working temperature. Without a method of measuring oil temperature you're flying blind so just trust the oil level gauge on your dash. Oil expands a lot when heated. Every first-time pre-996 Porsche owner had this question on their first drive home from the dealership. Even tho your salesman would try his best to explain a dry sump you'd see the oil level at 0 and still panic.

Rockitman have you ordered a set of Michelin Arctic Alpin Pilots for the GT3 yet?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:29 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, car must be running, at operating temperature on level ground when you check the oil. I *think*, but am not sure that the reason for this is that the oil drains from the tank to the sump when you shut it off.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ShortShift
First P-car I've heard of that has to be running to check the oil.
Checking the oil level with the engine running and at operational temperature was the standard for every air cooled version of the 911. Since the GT3 (and the 996 turbo) also have a "true" dry sump system the same procedure applies.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:38 AM
twisted
Advanced

I have had this problem also. Took it to the dealer, they checked it out, answer was to use the dash.

The problem I was seeing is the dash says it's Full but the stick was only showing it was only half way up, (just at the second bead on the stick, not at the top bead).

I checked it one day after a 2 1/2 hours of straight highway driving and this time the oil was almost to the top bead on the stick. I have a feeling that over time the heat in the oil causes it to expand in the tank causing the rise or higher reading on the stick.

Currently at 1100+ miles still Full so I guess no oil use showing up.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:43 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Sounds good guys...I must have oil...Thanks for your responses.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:55 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally posted by twisted
The problem I was seeing is the dash says it's Full but the stick was only showing it was only half way up, (just at the second bead on the stick, not at the top bead).
I wonder if the oil level sensor is temperature compensated? Last year Bosch announced an oil sensor that measures level, temperature, viscosity, breakdown, gasoline content, etc. The theory being that the ECU could now correctly calculate when to change the oil rather then just going by a standard mileage interval which just wastes oil. Is there a "Change Oil" light on the GT3?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JasonAndreas
Is there a "Change Oil" light on the GT3?
No.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:12 AM
twisted
Advanced

FWIW ...

I was told by the service manager and the tech who looked at my car that "... the computer (dash) was a more accurate reading of the oil level than the dip stick .. because the computer takes into account several things like oil temp".

For me it's a little hard to believe after years of using a dip stick to check the oil, but then again if the motor is not up to temp and is not running the dip stick shows no oil at all, and then with my previous post .. it's growing on me .....

Quick Reply: GT3 Oil level on dip stick