Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could these alignment specs cause this extreme tire wear in 500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Could these alignment specs cause this extreme tire wear in 500 miles?

I had my car aligned back in December (around 500 miles ago) and they noted that the rear left toe arm was slightly bent so they couldn't set toe correctly. With that said, I drove the car from SF to LA on the previous alignment specs and I think the car was being daily driven (on the previous alignment specs) without issue (what I would assume would be many thousands of miles).

Fast forward 500 miles after the alignment and my tires are now destroyed (both rear look like this):

Name:  mK3B9Hf.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  686.5 KB

I also believe the rear tires (PS2s) had 7/32nds when I bought the car 2000 miles ago...

I didn't ask for an extreme alignment and when I saw the specs, it didn't look like much had changed. These were the alignment specs I got from the shop:

Name:  zDd5eXR.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  557.1 KB

Clearly, something has happened...I didn't notice before but I see the thrust angle was within spec before the alignment and now is not for the rear. Could that be the culprit?

Guess I get to replace the toe arms (already have Tarrett ones but I was waiting to install them because I was told that alignment was okay), get new tires and get another alignment.

Awesome.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,827 Likes on 2,388 Posts

i bet your toe moved.
camber doesn't cause wear that severe.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:55 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i bet your toe moved.
camber doesn't cause wear that severe.
Could that type of tire wear happen in 500 miles though? Or less?

You can't really see it in the picture but the outside edge of the tire isn't even touching the ground to pick up the dirt on the ground from the garage...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:09 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

With 1 degree of toe, it's entirely possible. That's like 4x factory spec.

Find a shop that wouldn't let you drive away like that.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm with Mooty on this one as well, that's definately a toe problem over camber. Get some aftermarket toe arms and find a good alignment shop that is experianced in Porsches (ore even races them). I've found all to ofter "well recomended" alignment shops don't quite understand how easy it is to mess up the specs on these cars.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

These car is very sensitive to alignment changes. Looks like toe way off spec for left side. Is the cording on both tires the same or worse one side. Anyway wonder if they trq the bolts enuf to prevent slight movement. With a bent toe arm as an owner of shop I woulda said car ain't alignable if that is the case. Mike
Old 01-18-2015, 02:36 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys...both sides are equally cording

Guess its a good learning experience. I'm still waiting on a response from the shop who did this. I want to see what their reaction is. I probably will not go back there.

Like I said, I already have the Tarrett rear toe arms ready to go...definitely should have had them installed as soon as I saw those specs and heard the stock toe arms were bent.

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have toe arms waiting, but don't forget locking plates!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I see you have toe arms waiting, but don't forget locking plates!
Yup, I am actually ordering new tie rods (for the toe arms), boots and locking plates from Tarett. Anybody think Tarett is going to be open tomorrow?
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Damage was likely done prior to the alignment. As pointed out already your before values were 4x the recommended toe setting.

No matter what with the camber that you have (which is good for performance) and the rear weight bias you are always going to wear out the insides first. My guess is the mileage before the alignment change did the damage and the mileage since, while less harsh on them, has finished them off.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:30 AM
REALGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh try going to GMG in Santa Ana or BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach for your next alignment / camber and toe setup. Both race GT3s and will give either neutral, canyon, or track setups.

I just picked up a set of Yoko Advans and will go to BBI for the alignment and ride height adjustment in a few weeks

Philip
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

When you get the parts bring it to a shop that knows how to set ride height align and balance a gt3. A full setup on the car will take several hours and is $ well spent if you are doing any agressive or track driving. Joey at bbi is very good at setting these cars up well.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by REALGT3
Josh try going to GMG in Santa Ana or BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach for your next alignment / camber and toe setup. Both race GT3s and will give either neutral, canyon, or track setups.

I just picked up a set of Yoko Advans and will go to BBI for the alignment and ride height adjustment in a few weeks

Philip
It's too bad they are both far away...and it not easy to get to the OC during the week and neither of them are open on the weekends. It would also be extremely difficult to leave the car with them for multiple days.

I've tried the Werks II approach but he seems to not want to make appointments over the phone and is tricky at best to get a hold of.

TRE I think is my next best option which is semi-local.

Also, at this point, I'm afraid to drive the car more than 10 miles on these tires...feel like they could burst at any moment.

I'm still waiting on the original shop to get back to me about what, if anything, they are willing to do. Ordered the parts from Tarett today (new tie rods, boots and locking plates) and I should get those tomorrow.

Anybody know of any place to get some used PS2s for the rear in SoCal? Don't really want to buy brand new rear tires...
Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Is this your only car? Where in la are you?

If you decide to do a full setup it's best to leave it for a day.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's an America's tire (no affiliation) in North Hollywood. I'm not sure what their policy is on used tires, but might be a place to start if you're iffy about your current situation.

Quick Reply: Could these alignment specs cause this extreme tire wear in 500 miles?