Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 - track vs. street setup and cost est.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

There is a thread here on installing the harness/roll bar.
Two key items;
1. Collapse or remove plastic/cardboard under carpet rear of the seatbelt and roll bar bolt. (big hammer works)
2. Replace the bolts that come with harness bar with all thread studs and nuts, at least for the floor. Makes installation easy
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
My mechanic (Kent at Premier Sportscars in Vegas) pushed me hard to run MPSCs as they were designed for the car. I ran Nittoes last year, and MPSCs this year. What I notice is that the MPSCs are a few seconds a lap faster, but also lose grip and cord quicker. And, they are more expensive than Nittoes.

Nittoes = $1200, and I got 12 track days out of a set until cording by "pancaking" the tires on the rims after Day 8
MPSC = $1700, and I get 8 track days until cording, but only 6 days of "glue" performance due to heat cycling.

I'm on the fence regarding next year's tires!
Yes Cups don't last as long as Nittos but they provide greater grip when they are in the zone. To me they are the best compromise between lifespan, grip and cost.

I run the new ones at Tremblant and Watkins Glen and the old ones at Calabogie due to its substantially coarser tarmac which heats them up nice. Even old ones.

I have a DAS bar and I like how it connects to the shock towers. I also like that it's red.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:52 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Matt, are you going to Tremblant this week? Come talk to me...

My car has all of the above PLUS a fresh 996 cup gear box with closer ratios that really suits these cars.

Canadian car, second owner, 50,000 km.

Much cheaper to buy built than to build. I'm shopping for a race car.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:07 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Uh-ohhh
Matt was right.
This isn't going to end well. ;-)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Matt, getting on the right track, Carm, getting back onto the right track.
Warning, 6 GT3's are now officially $75,000. plus!
Mine has 43,900 km, rear toe links, seats, belts and roll bar. Oh yeah, air filter upgrade.
CCW wheels, Nittos, Alignment.
Stock suspension never touched, stock differential never touched, stock pedals, steering wheel... you get what I'm hinting at, there's plenty there.
I can't love this car more, it's that good, that pleasing and driven well very fast.
Get on board, get seat time, spend as it pleases you.
Warning, 6 GT3's are now officially $75,000. plus!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KenW
I can't love this car more, it's that good, that pleasing and driven well very fast.
Indeed driven very well Ken
Old 09-25-2014, 05:42 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

There is at least one Gentleman in Limehouse Ontario!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit off topic, but I have owned my "6" since 2006 and now how over 50 track days on it. I run with a group of guys from all over the west coast (Calgary, Malibu, Albuquerque, Park City, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas) that share the same GT3 mechanic in Las Vegas (P1/Premier). In fact, we all just met up at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah last weekend for a Full Track event that included racing (several of the guys race GT3 cups) and DEing.

Long story short, the street "6" is still insanely fast with R-Comps. No one in the "6" group has updated our suspension, BUT we have all added upgraded rear toe links, air filters, cup ducts, replaced the diff (ratios), standard safety upgrades (rollbar/seats/harnesses), brakes (Pagids 19f & 15r) and brake fluids (SRF). We ALL run MSPCs and have decided not to "upgrade" to slicks or dampers (yet)... Our lowly cars had no problem not only hanging with but outperforming 7.1 & 7.2 GT3s, and yes - a 991 GT3 with R-Comps.... Now if those guys move to slicks, clearly they will be faster.

My point is that our cars are insanely well set up out of the box - and FAST. As our driving improves (visible through even tire wear with proper alignment), lap times drop. Several of us are debating installing MCS/Ohlins/JCWs over the winter as we are getting really close to the limit with our current set-ups and would like to go to the next level.

I can say without any hesitation that I have ZERO desire to "upgrade" to a newer GT3. Our cars are phenomenal. With that said - GT3 Cups are a WHOLE 'NOTHER LEVEL!

Enjoy guys.
-B
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised mooty hasn't said it's necessary to strip out the interior except for seat and steering wheel
Old 09-29-2014, 04:35 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He's thinking it....I feel it

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 - track vs. street setup and cost est.