Sponsored by:

Using upper dog bones to adjust rear camber

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Using upper dog bones to adjust rear camber

Is it ok to use the upper dog bones to adjust the camber on the rear.
My set up is Rs rear lower arms with shims and I have fitted locking plates to remove the eccentric bolt which I found kept moving.
I've got all the rss adjustable stuff, toe arms/ dog bones etc.
But my rear camber is just above 3 degrees on one side and just below 3 degrees on the other with the dog bones set to the same length as the stock upper arms.
My question is, is it fine to adjust the camber with the upper dog bones and how much can you adjust them without effecting the dynamics of the suspension as it travels up and down?
Also do you have to both arms on each side equal so not to upset anything?
I'm trying to get the camber to 2.4 both sides.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
NXI20
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying that you have no shims in the bottom arms but you still have 3 degrees of camber? If so, that seems a bit excessive & you may want to look at where the holes have been drilled in the lockplates. I have the RSS 2-piece bottom arms and have to shim 4mm to get 3 degrees on the rear.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it is acceptable to use the upper adjustable arms to refine the camber. Bear in mind that you may get arch/liner interference under compression by doing it this way but it won't have an impact on the way the suspension actually operates; there wouldn't be any point in making the arms adjustable otherwise.

Guess you'll find out if the arch clears ok at the foxhole next week!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Nick, the locking plates I mate are drilled with the bolt hold the arm fully inboard which gives it the least camber I could get.
I had 6mm shims in the lower arm at first but now have 4 mm and done a few adjustments to the side subframes and now I have 2deg 45 mins both sides which is exactly what I wanted, ride height is 100fr 125r on 19inch wheels.
I decided not to adjust the top dog bones in the end because I was worried I'd mess up the kinematics of the suspension. I know this can be difficult to get right on the 993's.
I was told if you adjust the top arms you need a bump steer gauge to properly set them up its not as straight forward as just adjusting them to tweak the camber.
So I've just left them at stock length for now.
I'll find out if the set up is any good on Wednesday and Thursday.
See you there.

Quick Reply: Using upper dog bones to adjust rear camber