Sponsored by:

Home LSD rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
No. Per earlier threads I am no longer offering rebuilding services and if you are paying a mechanic to do the work you need to buy them through one of my authorized installers. The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.
But that means you are not selling direct to consumer, right?

Either way, TLG installed mine a couple of weeks ago
Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lou- too cool. You are welcome over my house any day you want to work on my car.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
are you saying that the mechanic of my choice can purchase parts through one of your authorized installers?

Is the distinction that your authorized installers will only sell to a professional mechanic, or that only authorized installers have access to the parts and can do the work?

thank you

Craig

AND

Can anyone confirm that this R&R can be done with engine and trans still installed?
It seems the answer is yes.
Let me clarify. I don't open dealers. I open authorized installers. I want to know who it putting the parts in and trust that they will be installed properly. There's a lot of hacks out there. Bad mechanics blame good parts when they put them in incorrectly. I also don't sell to e-tailers who are interested in cost cutting without installing parts in house trying to be the Amazon of car parts.

If you want to use a mechanic of your choosing who I don't do business with, or install the parts yourself I will sell to you directly.You just pick up the phone and call. If someone screws up, it's on you.

Also, be aware the list on my website is partial at best. That's a list of the people I work most closely with. I sell to over 250 independent shops just in North America. Probably another 40-50 overseas in Europe and Asia. If you ever want to know whether or not I give the nod to someone, just drop me an email. gtears@yahoo.com While I post regarding things related to my business here from time to time, if you look at my post history, this is my personal account and I am usually here outside of work hours when I'm just looking to hang out. A PM may not get a response for several days.

Regards,

Matt

ps. Read the LSD Buster thread. First post answers your R&R question with pictures. Gearbox stays in the car.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
But that means you are not selling direct to consumer, right?

Either way, TLG installed mine a couple of weeks ago
LSD parts are about the only item I make that I will sell direct to a DIYer. 98% of what I make requires a mechanic with proper training and know how to install. Rebuilding an LSD is not rocket science, which is part of why I stopped offering the service. It made zero sense for guys to be spending $100-200 on shipping for me to lay my hands on your unit.

A decent professional mechanic or good shadetree can remove and rebuild the LSD. Guys have been doing it on their 915s and 944 gearboxes for many years. A GT3 LSD is no more difficult. It's a straight forward R&R job.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up - can't wait to test the rebuilt LSD on the track
Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Let me clarify. I don't open dealers. I open authorized installers. I want to know who it putting the parts in and trust that they will be installed properly. There's a lot of hacks out there. Bad mechanics blame good parts when they put them in incorrectly. I also don't sell to e-tailers who are interested in cost cutting without installing parts in house trying to be the Amazon of car parts.

If you want to use a mechanic of your choosing who I don't do business with, or install the parts yourself I will sell to you directly.You just pick up the phone and call. If someone screws up, it's on you.

Also, be aware the list on my website is partial at best. That's a list of the people I work most closely with. I sell to over 250 independent shops just in North America. Probably another 40-50 overseas in Europe and Asia. If you ever want to know whether or not I give the nod to someone, just drop me an email. gtears@yahoo.com While I post regarding things related to my business here from time to time, if you look at my post history, this is my personal account and I am usually here outside of work hours when I'm just looking to hang out. A PM may not get a response for several days.

Regards,

Matt

ps. Read the LSD Buster thread. First post answers your R&R question with pictures. Gearbox stays in the car.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Once out, I'll take your suggestion to pick up the phone and call.
Way too much computer chat occurs, not enough talky-talky.

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 07-15-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Phone call went well.
Received parts
Installed parts
Problem resolved
AND
have upgraded LSD.
(stock parts shown in photo)

GtGears, (Guard) buy from them with confidence.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2017, 06:05 PM
blotto649
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Grrrrrrr!

For those who have successfully pulled their diff from their 996 GT3, can you provide some guidance on where you put the driveshaft to be able to get the diff out and around it? I've been struggling with this for the better part of the day (interspersed with anger management breaks) and for the life of me I can't figure it out.

The closest I came was with the driveshaft as low as it would go and towards the rear of the car. There seems to be more room up high over the top of the diff but I couldn't figure out what was keeping it from getting up there.

Any advice?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by blotto649
For those who have successfully pulled their diff from their 996 GT3, can you provide some guidance on where you put the driveshaft to be able to get the diff out and around it? I've been struggling with this for the better part of the day (interspersed with anger management breaks) and for the life of me I can't figure it out.

The closest I came was with the driveshaft as low as it would go and towards the rear of the car. There seems to be more room up high over the top of the diff but I couldn't figure out what was keeping it from getting up there.

Any advice?
are you compressing the axle? If memory serves (it's been a few years) that's the trick.

Otherwise you are good. Axle towards the rear
Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by blotto649

Any advice?
Might be easier to remove the axle. I just did this recently. Remove the center axle nut and pop the axle out. I used an air hammer on mine and it popped right out. Easy peasy.. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

I just wiggled and swore until i was able to remove the diff.
If I ever do it again, I'll do what powderhound suggests

I would HIGHLY recommend that you install the stub axles in the diff prior to bolting the diff cover in place over the clutch pack while still on your work bench.
(Remove stubs once you've torqued the cover down)
VERY depressing to find out once you have reinstalled the diff that the splines do not quite line up.
i had to remove the diff (again), loosen the cover bolts, install stubs, re-tighten bolts, remove stubs and re-install the diff (again).

Trust me on this.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
blotto649
Instructor

Thanks, gents. Yah, I think I'll give it one more try this morning, then go with powdrhound's suggestion. I've been compressing the axle but only as much as I'm able with my hand - will try to see if I can get a clamp in there somewhere. Serenity now...

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Might be easier to remove the axle. I just did this recently. Remove the center axle nut and pop the axle out. I used an air hammer on mine and it popped right out. Easy peasy.. Takes 5 minutes.
Not sure, but don't you need "proper" tools to remove that big ol' axle nut?

I took a couple of the upper wishbone bolts out to move the suspension an inch or so.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
Not sure, but don't you need "proper" tools to remove that big ol' axle nut?
o.
Impact gun helps esp since he's already got the other end of the axle disconnected from the flange at the transmission. Also need a torque wrench that goes high enough for torque spec is all. That nut is 340 ft/lbs.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM
blotto649
Instructor

Back again with a question re. part number. The 2 grooved washers the top and bottom of the inner assembly are both cracked. Does anyone know the part number for these?

PET seems to be 996 332 266 56 but I'd like to confirm before ordering.

Quick Reply: Home LSD rebuild