Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing back to stock swaybars due to stiff springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing back to stock swaybars due to stiff springs?

Dear GT3 guys,

I changed my Turbo's suspension setup to KW Clubsport by Manthey-Racing. Spring rates are 70/190Nm which translates to approx. 400/1080 lbs/inch springs. Yes, some say too light in front etc. etc. but it's a proven fast kit on the Nordschleife. And Manthey doesn't like any understeer, hence the big difference between front and rear.

With my current setup (Nordschleife track alignment, 997RSR toe links, LSD etc.) car is excellent, but there's too much oversteer. I have H&R sway bars in front (25mm diameter solid, at softest setting) and rear (24mm diameter solid, at medium setting) as it was the best balance with my previous custom-Bilstein setup.

I already changed the rear bar to soft and noticed a clear improvement in rear grip, but still the rear comes a bit too much out in high speed corners. So, I believe, due to the very hard rear springs, changing to stock swaybar (24mm front hollow, 21.7mm diameter rear hollow, no adjustability) should be the easiest improvement in my case. Manthey itself does not change stiffer sways for a Turbo as they already have stiff springs in their kit.

Additionally, I should change the front to stock as well in order to avoid more understeer...What do you guys think? Just asking because years ago with my old softer suspension setup the swaybars were a great mod!

Hopefully I don't lose my turn-in capabilities due to the stock swaybar, but we all know it's most important to get as fast as possible out of the corner so that's the priority.

One of the problems in fast corners is that I have plenty of power but 'only' 295 wides Pilot Cups, as Michelin does not make a wider tire in 18" anymore...

Thanks for your opinions...

Btw. Have done tons of mods during the years, and been very disappointed with various "forum sponsors" in some forums as the parts have not been race or track proven...Better to invest a bit more and purchase parts that have been tested and work at once! And about great mods, I've changed the Tequipment roll bar for a Clubsport full cage, and I highly recommend...too many bad crashes witnessed as well as experienced by myself!

Quick Reply: Changing back to stock swaybars due to stiff springs?