Sponsored by:

Joey's 996 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joey's 996 GT3 Thread

Figured instead of making a new thread every time i wanted to talk about my car or share something I would make a centralized place to post all of my information.

Picked my girl up in December of 2010 and got to drive her about a week before the snow came. She has been in the garage since for the winter.

Specifications: 2004 996 GT3 Midnight Blue Metallic
Full Leather Interior
Deviant Blue Stitching Package (Dash, Panels, Seats)
Maritime Blue Belts
Aluminum Dash / Center Console
Aluminum GT3 Door Sills
Optional Air Conditioning

During the winter i have gathered some maintenance items that will be done in the next couple of weeks. I will be posting up some DIY articles for most of the maintenance items. Here is a list of what i will be doing

I bought the car knowing it was going to need new brakes so i factored that into negotiating the price down from the dealer. I am doing the rest since it will be coming up on the maintenance schedule and I will feel a lot more comfortable knowing it was all recently done.

Got a package yesterday from Suncoast. Really awesome guys to deal with. Super fast shipping, competitive prices, and excellent customer service. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for OEM or maintenance items.

Last edited by joeycannoli; 12-02-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Keep 'em coming.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Modifications thus far:

So far i have done a couple of little things with the GT3. However, i don't know the extent as to how much i will be modding the car. When searching for the right p-car i wanted something that was just going to be amazing out of the box with little modification required. I think the GT3 really suites what i was looking for.

Euro GT3 Seats

I wanted these from the beginning, but unfortunately the car i bought did not have them installed. I vultured the classifieds for a while and found this pair out of a 997 GT3-RS with 14k miles on them. Had them shipped up from Louisiana. They are currently sitting in my closet right now waiting to be installed. I am hoping to put them in this weekend or next since the weather will finally permit.

On a side note, i took the belt hoops off last week to paint them in silver. I came across a pair of seats that Carrera Mike had done and really liked how they turned out. I think it will flow well with the little silver bits i have in the interior. Will post pictures when they are done and the seats are installed

Alcanatara Love

My car also did not come with the thicker steering wheel option from the factory. Instead of sourcing one of these i decided to send my wheel down to Dallas Custom Steering Wheel to get wrapped in Alacantara with added 1/8" cushion. While my wheel was down there i decided to send down my shifter and console lid to get done. I was extremely please with Don's work and communication. Prices were very fair and the work is outstanding. Highly recommend them.

Wheel Studs

One of my biggest pet peves on any German car is the use of lug nuts. My previous car had aftermarket wheels, floating rotors and spacers. It was a hassle to line everything up properly all the time so I switched to lugs and never went back. To me it is some of the best money that can be spent on a car. Ordered a set from Rennline this week. Waiting for them to come in to install

Carbon Fiber Project

I have a very good relationship with a CF guy that is well known within the Audi and BMW community. I had a lot of my stuff in my S4 done by him. He is very interested in getting his foot in the door with the Porsche community so we decided to work together to make that happen. As some of you saw i was looking for a bunch of spare 996 parts to send out to him (don't want to loose my aluminum trim). He began the process this week so hopefully some pieces will be showing up sometime soon. Here is a teaser...

Hopefully i will have all of the parts back by the summer. It is his first time doing these types of parts so he wants to take his time. If it all goes well there is a good chance you guys will have an alternative for CF needs. A list of what i am getting done.
  • Center Console (Console / Button Surrounds / E-Brake Surround / Ash Tray)
  • Door Pulls / Door Handles / Map Covers
  • Dash Trim Pieces / Defroster Panels / Side Air Vents
  • Cluster Surround / Ignition Key Surround / Hazard Switch Surround
  • Radio Surround / Door Sills
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All looks awesome, you've a really beautiful car!!!

See if the CF guy can make that scoop that sits on the rear-deck. Prices for those are silly and I'm sure he'd have a market for them.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like you have OEM sidemounts for your GT3 seats. I HIGHLY recommend Brey Krause mounts which lower the seat and lean it back a little bit. http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9078.php

My passenger side has the OEM mounts and its a night and day difference when I go between the two.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good idea on the thread. Love the alcantara.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

+1.

I think this is going to be a "go to thread" when you need to reference something.

How hard was it to change the spark plugs on this thing?

I was actually looking for a DIY on the transmission fluid for the 996GT3. I just changed the tranny fluid on my 944 Spec race car, but wish I knew that I needed a 17mm Allen for that. Wondering if the 6GT3 has a special part for that as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
All looks awesome, you've a really beautiful car!!!

See if the CF guy can make that scoop that sits on the rear-deck. Prices for those are silly and I'm sure he'd have a market for them.

Be good,
TomK
+1!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post - I'm in the same position just waiting for some decent weather to install my cloth GT3 seats, roll bar and harnesses. Surprised to read that the BK side mounts are so much better than oem. I would like to find out how to change spark plugs as a DIY.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Originally Posted by Pete
+1.

I think this is going to be a "go to thread" when you need to reference something.

How hard was it to change the spark plugs on this thing?

I was actually looking for a DIY on the transmission fluid for the 996GT3. I just changed the tranny fluid on my 944 Spec race car, but wish I knew that I needed a 17mm Allen for that. Wondering if the 6GT3 has a special part for that as well.
Not sure yet as i haven't done it. Waiting to get some lift time at a buddies shop. I hear the spark plugs are so much easier to change on a lift vs on jack stands. Will post a DIY soon for you all.

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
+1!
I will mention it to him. Do you guys have a picture of the piece you are referencing? My car is still in the garage so im having a hard time visualizing now. I'm sure he would do it though

Originally Posted by Nordschleifer
Great post - I'm in the same position just waiting for some decent weather to install my cloth GT3 seats, roll bar and harnesses. Surprised to read that the BK side mounts are so much better than oem. I would like to find out how to change spark plugs as a DIY.
Hopefully i will have my seats in this weekend!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
I will mention it to him. Do you guys have a picture of the piece you are referencing?
link / link
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Ah, didn't think it was a stock piece on our cars. I did a little research and found the GMG one at like $800, but its already CF so no good. I went to RevoZport Racing and found it for $250. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper?

I don't think my CF guy would have a problem doing this.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Regarding the trans fluid change. The plug uses a 10mm hex hole. On my car, it was a bear to get out! It was overtightened and because of the trans heat exchanger, I could not use a regular hex bit socket. I was working on jack stands and did not have a pipe wide enough to get some leverage. Destroyed my 10mm wrench. Finally came out with with an offset wrench on the hex bit and using a trailer hitch for leverage. Bunged up the hex part on the plug.

The replacement plug has an external 19mm bolt built into it. Much easier to grab. Also, the plug did not use a sealing ring and none is listed on catalog. I put one in anyway. Do not like to see steel against steel, the plug looks just like the engine drain plug.

I bought a transfer pump from Griots that made filling up a breeze. I've done many 915s by dripping the fluid. Took just about 1 gallon. Hope this helps. Lou
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by ninerguru
The replacement plug has an external 19mm bolt built into it. Much easier to grab.
Pics? Replacement OEM plug? p/n?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Sorry, no pictures. But it looks just like the oil tank drain plug. Part # is 90012402001 (screw plug) Lists for $7.87 It replaces what ever is listed on the PET. It has a large 19mm nut instead of the cheese 10mm inner hex. You can now actually put a wrench on it. There is not much space there to put a hex bit.

Also, it helps to disconnect the wiring harness that runs under the tranny. It just slides right off the clips. It is either a temp sender wire or a control signal to open the heat exchanger. Plug uses the same washer as the oil tank and has the built in "shoulder" to center the washer in place.

Quick Reply: Joey's 996 GT3 Thread