996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you sync the friggin key???

Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sync the friggin key???

Hi,
I misplaced and couldn't find one of the keys so I tried to use the second key (brand new and red light flashes bright) that came with the car. The remote door unlock buttons don't work so I opened door manually. The alarm went off as soon as I get in and won't stop for mins unless I locked the doors again! How do I make the car know that I'm using the second set of key? Do I need to reprogram the thing? Is there a way to sync the key to the car's alarm and immobiliser? It won't let me start. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I assume the car was sitting for a long enough period that the doors required a manual entry. This just happened to my wife's Boxster. I hit the button but the car had been locked down for months and the car would not respond to the key buttons. I manually unlocked it then opened the door & set off the alarm. I then shut the door relocked it which shut the alarm off. Then I left the door closed and locked & unlocked the door then unlocked it again. The door opened without the alarm. I got in & started the engine. Done.

Did you try any of that?

Also unlock with the alarm blaring & get in & lock yourself in. Put the key in the ignition & see what it does.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael B.
I assume the car was sitting for a long enough period that the doors required a manual entry. This just happened to my wife's Boxster. I hit the button but the car had been locked down for months and the car would not respond to the key buttons. I manually unlocked it then opened the door & set off the alarm. I then shut the door relocked it which shut the alarm off. Then I left the door closed and locked & unlocked the door then unlocked it again. The door opened without the alarm. I got in & started the engine. Done.

Did you try any of that?

Also unlock with the alarm blaring & get in & lock yourself in. Put the key in the ignition & see what it does.
Michael,
After the alarm set off, I cannot do anything but wait for few mins till it die off again. Buttons on key fob don't do anything at all. Even after I relock the door manually, it doesn't do anything. Cannot start the car either. Called Porsche roadside assistant and they think battery in the second key that I'm using need to be changed. Hope I don't have to tow the car to the dealer because basically security system of the car doesn't seem to approve my second key.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this falls under RTFM but in the interest of helping a "3" brother try this: particularly note number 1)...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
lock0001.pdf (11.0 KB, 2823 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I believe this falls under RTFM but in the interest of helping a "3" brother try this: particularly note number 1)...
Actually, no I don't believe this is a RTFM at all. If you read his post he clearly states that even once he is in the car the key doesn't work. Once the key is used to unlock the door the alarms reception is re-enabled and would have responded to his key presses.

My car seems to behave quite differently to other peoples cars. I find when the reception shuts down (5days) I put the key in the door and turn it clockwise (clockwise doesn't unlock the door, merely relocks) Once I turn it clockwise, it enables the reception of the alarm again, then I press the button on the alarm a couple of times.....
With my car I found that when I turned it anti-clockwise (unlock) it would set off the alarm. I could then use the button / key in the ignition to stop it but noisy etc. I then tried clockwise and no alarm!

However, if this procedure isn't working I'd suggest your key needs reprogramming - take it to the dealer.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This isn't a case of the car sitting for days as he was hustling around VIR all weekend

Sounds like the battery is dead in the "spare remote". Unless you did what I did and tried to open and start my car with the keys to my wife's CAB and couldn't figure out for the life of ya why the hell the key didn't work
Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Unless you did what I did and tried to open and start my car with the keys to my wife's CAB and couldn't figure out for the life of ya why the hell the key didn't work
Ha! Priceless.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
Thanks a lot, Chuck. I tried it and doesn't work. I'm towing the car to the dealer and have them reprograme it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Guys,
Dealer is charging me $750 for reprogramming the car. Is that sound right? Car is CPO'ed and warranty till 2010. They said the reason it cannot be cover is because I cannot find the first set of key. I thought when you bought the car and if it came with two keys, both keys has to be properly functioning (not one key can be only duplicate from another). Please help.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Let me guess......you took it to HBL?

They prefer if you don't bring your own vasoline for when they bend you over so they can sell it to you for 2000% over retail.

Sounds like they are charging you for a new key head with the guts, a blank key to be cut, the programming fee and the ever popular "privilege to be lucky to have HBL" charge

If it's not HBL then there must be a new pimp in NOVA.

So, you haven't found your other keys yet? I would have a nice chat with the GM of the dealership. Did you buy it from them?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Let me guess......you took it to HBL?

They prefer if you don't bring your own vasoline for when they bend you over so they can sell it to you for 2000% over retail.

Sounds like they are charging you for a new key head with the guts, a blank key to be cut, the programming fee and the ever popular "privilege to be lucky to have HBL" charge

If it's not HBL then there must be a new pimp in NOVA.

So, you haven't found your other keys yet? I would have a nice chat with the GM of the dealership. Did you buy it from them?

Yea, Dell. It's at HBL. What do you think I should do? Why do I have to pay that my brand new key doesn't work? I paied extra to get the car CPO'ed and warranty and can't believe this is happening. Unfortunately, haven't found my first key. Regardless, I shouldn't pay a dime for my extra key to work in my car right? They also said I damaged the alarm system and immobiliza when I tried to use the second key. Please tell me what I need to do at this point. My car is at the dealer sitting, cannot be started. Oh, I bought the car from Champion Porsche down in FL. Not from HBL.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

First thing I would do is talk to the GM of the dealership and see if he can't resolve this to an amicable solution. Explain to him CALMLY what the problem is, that you bought the car CPO'd and that you are not happy with the start of the relationship you are trying to build with HBL.

While you are at it, call the Porsche dealer in Arlington and Rockville and describe your situation to the dealer (service) and ask them what it would take to get your key reprogrammed, etc? For all you know, the second key Champion gave you is not even for your car! If you call the other dealers to get some info do NOT tell them that you car is currently at HBL.

BTW, the key is not something covered by CPO. The CPO is a VERY limited warranty that covers the major stuff.

Did HBL at least tell you what that $750 covers? Did they break it down for you (parts/labor)?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

First thing I would do is talk to the GM of the dealership and see if he can't resolve this to an amicable solution. Explain to him CALMLY what the problem is, that you bought the car CPO'd and that you are not happy with the start of the relationship you are trying to build with HBL.

While you are at it, call the Porsche dealer in Arlington and Rockville and describe your situation to the dealer (service) and ask them what it would take to get your key reprogrammed, etc? For all you know, the second key Champion gave you is not even for your car! If you call the other dealers to get some info do NOT tell them that you car is currently at HBL.

BTW, the key is not something covered by CPO. The CPO is a VERY limited warranty that covers the major stuff.

Did HBL at least tell you what that $750 covers? Did they break it down for you (parts/labor)?
The SA said $750 is for new security system (alarm etc). Hope it includes a labor too. It's just little upsetting to me that I have to pay that much to make my second set of keys work.

UPDATE: SA said the second set of key that came with the car is for the wrong car and that's why I couldn't start it. What the hell...... So, basically Champion Porsche sent me a wrong key. But, why can it manually unlock the doors tho?

Last edited by datax; 03-20-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Then Champion on on the hook!

There is something fishy going on. The key won't manually open the door unless it is for your car. As far as needing a new security system that is BS! First of all, the security system is covered under the CPO and they CANNOT prove that your bad key did the damage they claim. Second, I have used the key to my CAB on my GT3 and vice versa by mistake and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start only to realize I grabbed the wrong keys. NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

sounds like you have ecu, alarm or some other weird prob. and reprogram keys should be free. i did that 3x all free. like i said, i feed the ENTIRE service dept every so often.. i guess it's not really free, but not $750 either.

if it's just the NORMAL prob... if you dont drive car for 7 days (i think), your key no longer has control of the alarm. use they key to open door manually, then you must fire up the car within a minute or so.

if you dont, alarm will go on, but you can then disarm it with that same key.

this technique worked on all my 9x7 and 9x6 cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you sync the friggin key???