Sponsored by:

I may have a chance to buy a 996 GT3 MK1 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ if ur just talking about looks, tons of aerokit carreras out there. as far as converting the actual cars, the motor alone is like 30-40g's..so probably none.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Will do next time. Had no idea about the owner cause noticed your car first there and then here on RL...You and Giuseppe (reg. plate starts with SUG...) seem to have the most beautiful mk1's I've seen,

Great cars they are!
Thanks for the comps on the car Kaizu I haven't seen Giuseppe's before! Anyway, I'm planning a trip down sometime the weekend of May 10-12th (VLN on the 10th) with a number of friends. Swing by and say hi if you're there
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 AM
john0719
Racer

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Great car. But the only mechanical difference between the standard Mk1 GT3 and CS version was the LWFW and CS cage. Both parts can be retrofitted to the standard GT3. I would not consider things like the battery cutout or the fire extinguisher to be of great value.

Not many Mk1s were made and even fewer were CSes. They are distinctly unique and quite special. Nice choice!
I have a Mk2 clubsport and was wondering if LWFW came with my car. Sorry, I never looked.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john0719
I have a Mk2 clubsport and was wondering if LWFW came with my car. Sorry, I never looked.
Nope
Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by Rassel
Nope
^^^ what he said

On the Mk2 generation, the LWFW only came on the RS. But straightforward to retrofit (best to do when replacing the clutch).
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 171 Posts

What exactly is the advantage of the LWFW? Quicker engine response? What is the downside? Uneven idle?

Last edited by Electric Lizard; 03-10-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
I wonder anyone in US has converted regular early 996 to exact MK1 GT3 specs. Those cars do look great.
I'm close I suppose cosmetically and suspension wise...but the motor part isn't in my economic future. Easier for me to either buy a supercharger or a MKII GT3 instead.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
What exactly is the advantage of the LWFW? Quicker engine response? What is the downside? Uneven idle?
Quicker engine response - yes
No change to idle stability
Coffee grinder noise at idle with clutch out
Easier/more precise heel'n'toe shifts

Not applicable to standard or Mk2 cars, but if you run with no MAF and the LWFW, it takes a bit more balance with the throttle to prevent the car from stalling in start/stop conditions - especially when cold. There's simply less rotational mass and no electronic intervention.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that there is no GT3 Clubsport model. The Clubsport package was offered as a no cost option rather than a model itself. However, IMHO in terms of value the CS is much more interesting than the Confort because it carries the Porsche RS spirit.

The Clubsport package featured:
1- MATTER Motorsport GmBh Bolt-in roll cage at the expense of side airbags.
2- RECARO bucket seats with NOMEX flame-resistant covering.
3- Three-point safety belts come in guards red.
4- Six-point safety SCHROTH red belts.
5- WERNER fire extinguisher and mounting.
6- Battery disconnect switches are fitted in the luggage compartment and forward of the gear lever on the centre tunnel.
7 - Single Mass Flywheel.

The ClubSport version was hand mounted at the Motorsport Divison in Weissach instead of Zuffenhausen.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by zicoramone
Remember that there is no GT3 Clubsport model. The Clubsport package was offered as a no cost option rather than a model itself. However, IMHO in terms of value the CS is much more interesting than the Confort because it carries the Porsche RS spirit.

The Clubsport package featured:
1- MATTER Motorsport GmBh Bolt-in roll cage at the expense of side airbags.
2- RECARO bucket seats with NOMEX flame-resistant covering.
3- Three-point safety belts come in guards red.
4- Six-point safety SCHROTH red belts.
5- WERNER fire extinguisher and mounting.
6- Battery disconnect switches are fitted in the luggage compartment and forward of the gear lever on the centre tunnel.
7 - Single Mass Flywheel.

The ClubSport version was hand mounted at the Motorsport Divison in Weissach instead of Zuffenhausen.
All Mk1s were hand assembled at Weissach - this is true of both the Comfort and Clubsport versions.

'RS Spirit' - this is a mute point as the entire 'Mk1 GT3' range can be considered to be of the same 'RS Spirit' when compared to the then-pre-facelift 996 range. There never was a 'Mk1 RS', and the entire Mk1 series was a homologation car, not just the Comfort or CS.

The same cannot be said for the Mk2 GT3 comfort or CS. It wasn't until the GT3 RS that the 'RS Spirit' can be vouched for - the RS model genuinely was a homologation model to introduce new suspension for the revised RSR.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I loved my Mk-I (not CS). Put 60,000 km on it as a daily driver, and the only complaint I had was that the front lip was just too low - scrape, scrape... all day long. But an awesome car.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Good photo, I like!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Rish
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rassel
It's not hard to find a Mk.I CS in Europe and the price premium is fairly low to the touring model. You can get one for as low as €50K for a MY00 with high milage. Perhaps it will continue the same path as the 993RS, time will tell.
How high are high mileages? 50K sounds pretty interesting.

I've seen the Mk1 with CF bits (lots of them) and that looks ace. Thought it was a demo car for a tuning company when I saw it.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Rish
6th Gear

Forgot to say, in addition to comments of people above, RHD CS are fairly rare and good ones even more so. Of the 28 that made it to UK, god knows how many still exist? I had PPIs done on atleast 2 bad 'uns before finding mine.

('lo Jeff and Ade!)
Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rish
How high are high mileages? 50K sounds pretty interesting.

I've seen the Mk1 with CF bits (lots of them) and that looks ace. Thought it was a demo car for a tuning company when I saw it.
~100.000km?

Quick Reply: I may have a chance to buy a 996 GT3 MK1 Club Sport