Sponsored by:

Now what do I do????

Old 10-21-2004, 11:14 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Now what do I do????

Have the car in today for the DME W414 upgrade and the dealer calls to tell me I"ve won the lottery- I'm one of 12 affected by the dreaded valve spring retainer "problem." I'm actually al little nervous even letting them do this DME thing and replacing a non working horn and sure don't want them REBUILDING my engine! I'm not sure the dealer I bought the car from is up to the task either. Living in Iowa you don't have a lot of choices and non of the dealers anywhere near here sell that many P cars and both dealers I've dealt with each sold ONE GT3. Should I talk to the regional Porsche service rep? Would they ever let a Porsche race shop like Kelly-Moss in Madison WI do the work as I'd trust them. Or take it to a bigger dealer in a bigger city in the midwest?? DAMN
Old 10-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow, you did win the lottery, odds-wise. The job entails something like 38 hours of labor so it is not a trivial repair. Is the local shop confident? Do that experience on complete rebuilds of these engines? If they have any hesitation, then ask to speak to the area tech-rep. Up here, deals have been made for complex work to be done at an outside race shop so your idea is not silly. Porsche has to consider that after the rebuild, the engine is still under warranty so they have some exposure if the job is not done correctly. Perhaps they could make a deal with Porsche Motorsports who are very good at rebuilding GT3 engines.

Rgds,
Old 10-21-2004, 01:01 PM
jecey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SKL, I'm sorry to hear about that bad news.

Is there an available list of vin for affected cars ?

Are the European cars also affected ?
thanks
/jc
Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
JMcD
Instructor

SKL,
I fell your pain! I also live nowhere near a dealer, let alone a competent servive department regarding GT3 work. I'am going to wait until next spring before any dealer does the DME update, hoping that things will improve in Service. However, any warranty work must be done at any dealer, nowhere else. Talking to Porsche or a rep is a waste of your time. Trailer your car to the best dealer you can find and demand an engine exchange.
Regards, Jack
Old 10-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The affected VIN number range was posted a while ago in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/155616-gt-recall.html
Old 10-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

skl -

Porsche motorsport subs out some of there cup engine rebuilts to kelly moss, so I would hope you could talk your regional rep into this. the other question is will kelly moss accept what porsche would pay the dealer for the work.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

JMcD - I am surprised that you feel that the local area tech rep from PCNA can be of no help. My experience has been much the contrary.
Rgds,
Old 10-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
JMcD - I am surprised that you feel that the local area tech rep from PCNA can be of no help. My experience has been much the contrary.
Rgds,
My experience dove tails with Bob's -- the local rep has been of great assistance to me over the years.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
jim911
Racer

I guess I can't blame anyone for being concerned, afterall most Porsche dealers are considered parts changers. The Kelly Moss idea sounds the best. Call Pete Debries at Kelly Moss and ask if he thinks its possible. Good luck Stu
Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Bob and Jack,
If SKL or I lived in LA, or any major Porsche market, service for our GT3's would not be a problem. Competent service on this car there we live is a real concern to us.
Regards, Jack
Old 10-21-2004, 06:02 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would talk w/ PCNA and voice your concerns. They should fly a mechanic over from Germany to operate on it at the local dealer's garage facility OR send you a new motor replacement for a swap out, that any reasonable Porsche mechanic should be able to do w/o much difficulty. If that fails, see if you can lemon it...Don't worry about the DME upgrade. You can read the procedure on the TSB the tech follows and you can confirm the procedure with your dealer. Best of luck skl....
Old 10-21-2004, 07:35 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

skl, there is a procedure that can be done that is less evasive...not requiring the removal of the heads. I am told that it should be a 2 day job.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

koepke- I assume you meant INVASIVE, (you've been watching too much potlitical crap on TV lately!) and how would you replace those without removing the heads? The dealer here actually didn't sound any more exicted about doing the repair than I did having them do it... will be interesting to see how this plays out. I called PCNA today and they're supposed to be getting back to me. Wonder what the other 11 are doing about this??? I also wonder how the hell they ever figured out this was a problem in the first place?????
Old 10-22-2004, 04:39 AM
jecey
Advanced

thanks Viken !
Old 10-23-2004, 10:18 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

skl,
I have researched the procedure....fairly common w/ Porsche race techs. to change valve springs, etc.
The heads stay intact, 1x1, the cylinders are filled w/ air, the valves close, and the caps can be exchanged...I am told 2 day complete job.
The Porsche tech s/b able to run a diagnostic after, to test for zero leakdown, and give you the report.
Dave Bottom at Arlan Mtrspt. can walk your tech through the procedure.
I feel your pain...but you will not get anywhere w/ PCNA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now what do I do????