Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question PCCB weight reduction?

I found the following information:

"The Brembo kit's 8-piston calipers weigh 12.0 pounds compared to the 12.4 pounds for the 6 piston Porsche caliper. The Brembo 15" 2-piece floating rotor weighs 16 pounds compared to the 31 pounds for the 13.8" cast iron Porsche rotor. We have not weighed a PCCB 13.8" rotor but given the 40% advertised weight reduction, the PCCB rotor should be in the 18.5 pound range. " Schatz Motorsports...

The Steel GT3 front rotor is 13.8" or 350mm. Based on the previous information, just by changing the front brakes set you can save 31 pounds on unsprung weight. By changing the rear ones as well (guessing) you could save more unsprung weight than going PCCB.

I will take the weight of each front and rear steel rotor, each front and rear wheel with tire and without it, as soons as I get my car (2 weeks).

Have anybody taken the weight of each front and rear PCCB disc?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Can somebody explain something about the above being a good or bad idea. I have always had the impression that for a steel rotor to dissipate energy, it needed mass. That's why bigger has been equated as better, and why turning discs is generally frowned-upon (the turning reduces mass which just makes them warp faster the next time). So, why is a lighter steel rotor viewed as a strong positive. I understand the unsprung weight arguement. But if you give up fade-resistance for weight, is that a good trade? Is the Brembo so much better vented that it can dissipate heat better at a lower weight? The ceramic was supposed to accomplish both objectives, but apparantly can't absorb the heat of racing without destroying itself. AS
Old 04-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mass of the rotors will affect the rate at which they heat up. If you generate the same amount of energy through a rotor with smaller mass it will heat up faster, and could get hotter. Surface area will affect heat dissipation. The larger the rotor, the more surface area it has, and so the greater it's capacity for cooling. It is a matter of how hot the rotor gets under braking, before you get off the brakes so that they can recover before the next time that you need them. Larger is better, but larger means more mass, more weight. Could be that the Brembos have enough surface area (they are 15" right) so that they can be thinner and still have enough "thermal mass" so that they don't overheat under heavy braking, IMHO.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:20 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a guess....

The Brembo 15" 2-piece floating rotor weighs 16 pounds compared to the 31 pounds for the 13.8" cast iron Porsche rotor.

The steel brake rotor is as heavy and solid, but the hat assembly (the 2nd piece) will be aluminum or some other lightweight alloy.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Just a guess....

Originally posted by macfly
The Brembo 15" 2-piece floating rotor weighs 16 pounds compared to the 31 pounds for the 13.8" cast iron Porsche rotor.

The steel brake rotor is as heavy and solid, but the hat assembly (the 2nd piece) will be aluminum or some other lightweight alloy.
Exactly -- the weight savings of the 2-piece floating hat iron rotor (over the 1-piece cast iron rotor) is derived from the aluminum "hat", which also contributes to better heat dissipation. The brembo rotor itself is massive and not especially light weight, but it is better vented (and superior in other respects) to the steel rotors which Porsche uses on the GT3.

NJ-GT: Contact Barry Borin at Race Technologies (310-306-3158) -- he can give you accurate weights for the various Brembo caliper/rotor offerings as compared to the PCCB setup. If I recall correctly, Barry stated that the lightest brake setup Brembo offered for use on the GT2/3 would still weigh in slightly more than the PCCB setup, albeit by only ~2 lbs per corner.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:38 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default Also you can see the important stuff here.....

1B1.9996R.....996 Turbo, C4S Lightweight Front...(4-Piston)..18"wheel 14.0"/355mm disc $4,995

2H1.8001A.....996. C4S Turbo Rear...(4-Piston).......18"wheel 14.0"/355mm disc............ $3,295

That's a $8,200 before tax or fitting, plus you need special wheel carriers, and a realignment.

It is a lot of bucks for the weight savings, but I guess that it must feel & brake much better, and run cooler. Wonder what pads you should use with it?

Has anyone put this setup on a car yet?

Race Technologies website
Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Also you can see the important stuff here.....

Originally posted by macfly
..... plus you need special wheel carriers, and a realignment.
Race Technologies website [/B]
Andrew -- only the Turbos/AWD P-cars need the "special" wheel carriers.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:36 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

the calipers of above racing kit is amazingly light weight. wonder if there is gonna be a kit that use the PCCB rotors + the Brambo racing calipers... that will for sure save tons of weight.

the braking power of the racing kit is also unbelievable. the only down side is it's quite noisy. i highly recommend this kit if u track ur car often.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Will brembo make a replacement 2 piece rotor for the GT3?
Old 04-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default Brembo Brakes

Hey......isn't that a photo of my car with the Brembo brakes?????

I've had them for a year now and they work wonderfully. Very little
wear - and a fair amount of track usage. Pads hold up very well and
the stopping power far exceeds what I had with the PCCB - even with
the Green race pads.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Brembo Brakes

Originally posted by Mark GT2
Hey......isn't that a photo of my car with the Brembo brakes?????
Yes sir -- that's your baby!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark GT2:

Is that the Brembo 15" floating rotor with 8 piston calipers kit?

Have you compare the weight on these rotors with your PCCB rotors?

Did you install the system front and rear, or just front?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 09:08 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also it should be mentioned that a larger diameter rotor will generate less heat than a smaller rotor thanks to the increased leverage the larger rotor provides. This is assuming that you are asking the rotors to provide the same amount of braking force. This is likely only going to be the case at lower speeds where traction is what limits braking rather than the brakes themself.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:31 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default Z06 you asked will Brembo make a replacement 2 piece rotor for the GT3?

I asked the same question, because we have great calipers, all we need is better pads and lighter discs, so there is a big market for a stock fit lighter floating disc. I have spoken to Steve and Rennsport Systems about this, and he is going to see if he can make something happen. I for one will be in line, as there is around 15 lbs to be saved at each corner by doing a two piece rotor. We will also be able to get slotted rotors, which may last a bit longer that the holed variety.

Mark, which Brembo are those on your car, how many pots per caliper, and is it the Le Mans race set up.

Last edited by macfly; 04-19-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default NJ-GT

Yes, it's the 8 piston calipers.....I did front and back....the whole works.

I never weighed the two - but I believe it's only slightly heavier than a
full PCCB set....and I can count on it.

Quick Reply: PCCB weight reduction?