Sponsored by:

Help with underbody and wheel arch linings ID - 2003 996 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts
Default Help with underbody and wheel arch linings ID - 2003 996 Carrera

Hi guys, New to me 2003 996 Carrera with 20K original miles. I got the car up off the ground today and was looking around underneath. I have a few questions outlined below:

Front underbody: It appears someone hit something w/ the front underside of the car. The exterior bumper was not damaged. It looks like they drove it hard against a curb sliding along the bottom. Several bolts are broken out and a few pieces are missing. I have the following questions with photos.

1.) The car has a factory aero package (I have the original window sticker). It appears there was something screwed to the front edge of the bumper at one time. Was this an aftermarket splitter or did the aero package have a factory lip that was screwed onto the edge of the bumper?? (See photo #1 below)

2.) It looks like I am missing some parts from the front undertray. Is it normal for the side corners on front of the wheels to be open like this, or is there a cover that goes here? I tried looking in the factory parts manual but the diagrams are really confusing! (See photos #2 and #3 below)

Rear Underbody:
3.) Is the area behind the rear wheels supposed to have a wheelarch liner, or should it be open to the mufflers? Seems like all the rocks spraying on the mufflers isn't what you would want? (See photos #4 and #5 below)

Thanks!!
Attached Images      
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

The only piece you are missing is driver's side, right in front of the tire
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/99650450303/

The triangular opening is to vent the hot air from the radiator. The rear wheel well looks normal. Yes, you would think there's a shield protecting the mufflers but there's none.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

1. The holes are to add a plastic lip, see here:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...c2-bumper.html Someone else will confirm if it came with the car or not but you can add it if you'd like.
2. All the plastic parts in some way divert for airflow - radiators + brakes etc. as Ahsai mentions
3. No covers go there, mufflers are open to the wheels so they can throw up rubber and after driving give off a distinct 911 smell...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
1. The holes are to add a plastic lip, see here:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...c2-bumper.html Someone else will confirm if it came with the car or not but you can add it if you'd like.
2. All the plastic parts in some way divert for airflow - radiators + brakes etc. as Ahsai mentions
3. No covers go there, mufflers are open to the wheels so they can throw up rubber and after driving give off a distinct 911 smell...

I think that is the exact lip that was on my car, I can see the mark where the double sided tape was. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Help with underbody and wheel arch linings ID - 2003 996 Carrera