X post - play in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:42 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default X post - play in steering wheel

I recently posted this on the 996 Turbo Forum

I recently picked up a 2003 996 Turbo with 33K miles - the PPI picked up a few problems one has been sorted with just a battery replacement the other one might be harder to fix - I would really like some insight from anyone that has had this issue or might have an idea of the cause.

There is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch vertical play in the steering wheel/column
The steering wheel shakes and rattles over rough roads, wash boards are the worst, even an expansion joint can cause it to rattle a little

I have been searching the forum but have not found a thread that addresses this - I have had the suspension inspected by a good shop and everything looked in good order and factory correct but i have read that the upper strut mount is a common problem and cant be detected visually - it seems like I get a lot of energy transmitting up the steering column but overall the car handles really well.
If I put upward pressure on the steering wheel while driving over rough roads it stops the rattle from happening.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

There really should be no vertical play in the steering wheel. I would check the steering column bolts under the dash and make sure they are tight, 14 and 15 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-05

Aside from that, you will have to pull the steering wheel and check the upper bushing in the steering column. I don't think it is a serviceable item. Also that the steering wheel nut is tight. Someone awhile back had a steering column issue and found that the upper bushing was not seated correctly. I'll try to find that thread because it had some good pictures.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (04-24-2020)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I found this thread on RennTech. It is the one I remembered, however, his issue was fore/aft movement of the steering wheel. But it does have some good pictures with the steering wheel removed and what is behind it. I would start by making sure the steering column bolts are tight.
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...comment-281960
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
There really should be no vertical play in the steering wheel. I would check the steering column bolts under the dash and make sure they are tight, 14 and 15 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-05

Aside from that, you will have to pull the steering wheel and check the upper bushing in the steering column. I don't think it is a serviceable item. Also that the steering wheel nut is tight. Someone awhile back had a steering column issue and found that the upper bushing was not seated correctly. I'll try to find that thread because it had some good pictures.
Thank you for the info
I will check out the steering column bolts - going to take the steering wheel off tonight and check if the nut is tight
Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM
mtnroads
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Any follow-up on this old post?????
I'm having a steering column noise that's driving me crazy.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:19 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '99 986 (same steering column as 996), I noticed that when I pulled the telescoping wheel outwards, there was considerable play in the column and noise over bumps. I took the steering wheel and trim off and noticed that the plastic retaining clip that retains the upper steering column bushing had broken and come loose, allowing the bushing to slide on the column shaft and come out of its seat. To fix this, I tapped the bushing back into it's seat with a punch (it's rubber and easy to move), and drilled two small holes in the surrounding aluminum column and screwed in a couple of very small screws. The screw heads act to retain the bushing and keep it in its seat. From what I can tell Porsche does not sell the bushings themselves nor the plastic retainer clip so we need to use other resourceful approaches. Hope this helps.

The plastic retaining clip is the one in the center with the keepers that lock on the notches.

Last edited by brad-cam; 04-23-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:44 AM
tiiimb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad-cam
On my '99 986 (same steering column as 996), I noticed that when I pulled the telescoping wheel outwards, there was considerable play in the column and noise over bumps. I took the steering wheel and trim off and noticed that the plastic retaining clip that retains the upper steering column bushing had broken and come loose, allowing the bushing to slide on the column shaft and come out of its seat. To fix this, I tapped the bushing back into it's seat with a punch (it's rubber and easy to move), and drilled two small holes in the surrounding aluminum column and screwed in a couple of very small screws. The screw heads act to retain the bushing and keep it in its seat. From what I can tell Porsche does not sell the bushings themselves nor the plastic retainer clip so we need to use other resourceful approaches. Hope this helps.

The plastic retaining clip is the one in the center with the keepers that lock on the notches.

@brad-cam, looks like you pulled the column out, is that correct? Please share info on the technical steps you took to accomplish this fix. I'm a little unclear as to what you did, can't see the holes / screws you fixed it with. Regardless, thanks so much for sharing this info.

I just entered a post on my issue, here it is (excellent work by @Nickshu BTW):
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18784638

Quick Reply: X post - play in steering wheel