Sponsored by:

PSM and ABS Lights on After Spirited Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 AM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PSM and ABS Lights on After Spirited Driving

I’ve only had my 996 for about three weeks, and it’s the first 996 I’ve ever owned. However, I’ve had a 986 Boxster for seven years. At least that gives me some familiarity. Anyway, there’s been two occasions that I’ve driven the car a bit spirited while entering the highway and the PSM and ABS lights both lit up on the dashboard. And seriously, nothing too aggressive, not even exceeding the speed limit (just rapidly reached it). Nothing felt odd about the car, it drove and continued to drive normally. No odd sounds, smells, smoke or anything. Later, after reaching my destination and starting the car back up to go somewhere else, the lights are off. No problems. It’s only happened twice, but I’ve certainly driven it spiritedly more than twice. Was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior. Is it normal? Anything I should be worried about?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

clean your MAF sensor. A guy up the page solved the same problem as yours by doing just that.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue recently and it was a plug that misfired.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

read your codes.........this will tell you what is going on. Code readers are cheap and widely available.

I cleaned my MAF a couple of times, but replacing it works much better and they are not expensive and very easy to R&R.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You should get a code from po300 to po306 for a misfire. You can get a cheapo code reader for 15$
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You should get a code from po300 to po306 for a misfire. You can get a cheapo code reader for 15$
Actually, a code reader sounds like a really good thing to have anyway - even if I wasn't having this little issue. Sadly (as embarrassed as I am to admit this), I literally know nothing about code readers. Has anyone got a recommendation or two? Is there one that has an iPhone app? Just curious. I'd like to pick up a decent one. Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply: PSM and ABS Lights on After Spirited Driving