996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

throttle cable replacement.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default throttle cable replacement.

I just discovered that my throttle cable is frayed. I have a 99 996 which is not Egas but cable operated. I can feel one of the many strands of metal which make up the actual cable is broken. It is catching up on the back of the throttle body and sometimes not letting the butterfly to completely close. The computer senses the butterfly to be open then feeds more fuel to the injectors even though my foot is off the gas pedal. My idle and short time fuel trim becomes slightly eratic so I need to change the cable. My question... Has any of you guys had to do this DIY work? How difficult is it to complete? Where is ther best place to buy another cable? Thanks for your input.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

It's fairly easy. A new cable at the dealership was around $100 IIRC so try suncoast or autoatlanta. There is junction that comes apart somewhere around below the driver's door. From there, it just routes up and over the transmission and over the top of the engine. I bought a couple of extra clips that are used to route it as the originals were very brittle.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

I see on another posting that Asia did this job. He asked the same questions as I did but didn't get an answer so far, so that is not too much help for me. I hopes he comes in on this posting. Ok Slakker I believe that there is another coupling under the car closer to the rear that can be undone to drop an engine. So maybe there are 3 parts to the cable. I just require the piece from the throttle body to the nearest coupling.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I see on another posting that Asia did this job. He asked the same questions as I did but didn't get an answer so far, so that is not too much help for me. I hopes he comes in on this posting.
Ok Slakker I believe that there is another coupling under the car closer to the rear that can be undone to drop an engine. So maybe there are 3 parts to the cable. I just require the piece from the throttle body to the nearest coupling.
I found one for $52 and sent off for it.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Nope, same coupling. I just missed on my location guess by a bit.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slakker
It's fairly easy. A new cable at the dealership was around $100 IIRC so try suncoast or autoatlanta. There is junction that comes apart somewhere around below the driver's door. From there, it just routes up and over the transmission and over the top of the engine. I bought a couple of extra clips that are used to route it as the originals were very brittle.
I don't suppose you have a diagram of how to disconnect that coupling near the passenger door area do you? OK I know how to disconnect the coupling. A simple twist thing and maybe a metal ring needs unscrewing. I wont go any further until I see the new part, then I will know what to disconnect. Hopefully this will eliminate the slight idle surging that is going on at the moment.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 03-21-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

its a easy swap, be sure to use the same routing from the junction over the engine or it will not idle correctly. there is some adjustment, but not much.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

^^ +1. I've made this mistake.

On the coupling, there are two tabs that pop open on the plastic cover to gain access. There is a perpendicular rod on the end of one cable that slides sideways out of the mated connector. Easy peasy, no tools required.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think you might have to take the accelerator pedal apart to replace the cable. It's not hard to do, but if you get stuck, do a search and you'll see posts about this. The accelerator pedal actually has two cables coming in - one for the throttle body going down and under the car, and one for the cruise control going up to the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: throttle cable replacement.