Rear Spoiler Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Spoiler Lube?

Hi Team,

When I manually raise or lower the rear spoiler via the switch near the left foot, it creaks and moans. Still works but sounds like it could be lubed up somehow? If so where at what kind?

Also, is there a way to confirm that the spoiler is actually working at 75mph? (Other than having someone in the backseat and checking). I have a cabriolet with the top up, not sure its actually visible through the rear view.

Thanks all!!

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Here's a couple threads. Not sure they are helpful though, especially since a lot of folks are recommending WD-40, which sounds like a bad idea to me (WD-40 is actually a degreaser more than a lubricant). The last thread seems the most beneficial.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/607036-rear-spoiler-lube.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/531483-rear-spoiler-creaking-on-lift-2.html

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/10966-rear-spoiler-lube-points/

As for seeing the spoiler go up? That's a common request by many 911 owners across many different 911 versions as well. It's not real easy to do - that's why a lot of these cars have a warning light for this exact reason. If the light goes on when you are driving, the spoiler has an issue. The light also comes on when first starting off letting you know that the spoiler light itself is working.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Your spoiler is dying.
The metal drive sprocket is grinding off the plastic gears on the rack.
If you catch it in time and you are gifted with tricky mechanisms you can dismantle the whole assembly ,lubricate the rack, fill the tubes with grease and refit it.
The fundamental problem is an overly powerful motor ,metal drive on plastic gears and the worn seals on the riser pistons allow water into the tubes.
Disconnect the electrical plug on the spoiler and disable the 'spoiler not working' circuit?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the assistance, I'll be taking a look at it this weekend!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:19 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

It is always something....

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Lube?