Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sold my Cab... got a Millennium Edition coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that interior! Congrats on the new car.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Love that interior! Congrats on the new car.
+1, very classy scheme inside. Nice work, enjoy!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase, Jae. The car looks to be a superb specimen. It sounds like you love driving it as much as I do. I've put nearly a thousand miles on mine in about a month which is way more than I expected. Is there a feature you like the most that your Cab didn't have?

Can also I ask you what Navigation disc you have? If you happen to have a Texas disc, I'd like to buy/trade for it. I have the California/Nevada disc.

Interesting that the owner had two Millennium Editions. How did his look?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Simon... I only have Californina/Nevada Map1 and Southwest/Northwest Map2 discs. I did order a severly outdated NavTech disk #7 (not labeled as Porsche) for the Southeast from ebay for $15. I hope it works, will let you know...

As far as what features I really like... the full leather dash and upgraded steering wheel, plus the fact that it's a coupe with the special color.

The previous owner's other ME car was in similar condition, but without the seat repairs. And it has 5k less miles than mine and no added-on carbon fiber deck spoiler. Otherwise, it looked identical. I didn't get the number on his as I was preoccupied with mine. I have pictures in my phone, will get them transferred to PC and add to the thread soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM
rudydude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! It's a nice package. Mine is #285. You will get tons of compliments on the color combo. ENJOY!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaetee
Simon... I only have Californina/Nevada Map1 and Southwest/Northwest Map2 discs. I did order a severly outdated NavTech disk #7 (not labeled as Porsche) for the Southeast from ebay for $15. I hope it works, will let you know...

As far as what features I really like... the full leather dash and upgraded steering wheel, plus the fact that it's a coupe with the special color.

I have pictures in my phone, will get them transferred to PC and add to the thread soon.

Yes, please let me know what you discover out about the NAV disc. Mine keeps saying "car off map". Lol. Looking forward to more pics. How many miles does your car have? Mine has a little over 54,000.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Finally was able to downsize and download the pics from the day I bought the car...
Attached Images      
Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention that this car purchase came with a pair of polished stainless Agency Power exhaust headers!

Super excited waiting for exhaust manifold gaskets for my ME...

Simon - My NavTech disc 7 for Southeast arrived, but my Nav doesn't seem to be working at all. It just says "navigaton initializing" when I try to use it, and it stays that way for a long time. Once it said "disc inserted upside down" but that was not the issue. Not sure what to do next. I'd like to leave it stock, but am starting to lean towards a nice aftermarket unit that has bluetooth, usb, etc...

I will try it again with one of the Porsche branded discs that came with the car. Curious to see if the message changes to what you described for being off the map. At least that might tell me if the Nav is working properly and it's just not compatible with the NaveTech disc.

My CD player and radio work great, and the tape deck is trying, but the belts are shot and the wow & flutter is off the charts. Unlistenable. That's a bummer too, because I have a ton of excellent sounding cassettes here that were recorded on some of the best tape decks ever made.

Oh well, no rush on that... other things much more important first. I may just try to get a factory CR-220 that will control the 6-disc changer and let me play tapes and forget about Nav in the P-car altogether. I usually know where I'm going 95% of the time anyway, and still have my smartphone for routing help.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaetee
I forgot to mention that this car purchase came with a pair of polished stainless Agency Power exhaust headers!

Super excited waiting for exhaust manifold gaskets for my ME...

Simon - My NavTech disc 7 for Southeast arrived, but my Nav doesn't seem to be working at all. It just says "navigaton initializing" when I try to use it, and it stays that way for a long time. Once it said "disc inserted upside down" but that was not the issue. Not sure what to do next. I'd like to leave it stock, but am starting to lean towards a nice aftermarket unit that has bluetooth, usb, etc...

I will try it again with one of the Porsche branded discs that came with the car. Curious to see if the message changes to what you described for being off the map. At least that might tell me if the Nav is working properly and it's just not compatible with the NaveTech disc.

My CD player and radio work great, and the tape deck is trying, but the belts are shot and the wow & flutter is off the charts. Unlistenable. That's a bummer too, because I have a ton of excellent sounding cassettes here that were recorded on some of the best tape decks ever made.

Oh well, no rush on that... other things much more important first. I may just try to get a factory CR-220 that will control the 6-disc changer and let me play tapes and forget about Nav in the P-car altogether. I usually know where I'm going 95% of the time anyway, and still have my smartphone for routing help.

Damn, that's sweet to have the headers included in the sale! I guess the previous owner bought them but never installed? Are you going to do your exhaust too while you're down there?

I have a few tapes but its all really old music. I will say tapes sound excellent on the current system. Unfortunately, my CD changer cartridge does not eject with the car on or off so I have not been able to use it. All I really use is the radio now.

If I can procure a PCM1 Texas NAV disc I'll use it, but don't need the stock navigation to work. It'd just be a novelty more than anything else. But I would like to make Bluetooth calls and have audio streaming. I'm considering the Alpine ILX-107 with carplay so I can sync my phone and use all its features like Maps and Spotify, etc. CAI makes a kit for that headunit. As others have recommended, I'll hang on to the old equipment in case I need to reinstall for whatever reason. Its got a decent size screen for the price. Oversize screens looks weird in our cars imo.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I'm a couple of steps behind you. Currently regretting the cab and thinking of selling. Did you consider a 997? If I stay with Porsche, I think my next is going to be a 997.2 coupe - I'd like to avoid all the preventative maintenance next time. Maybe I'm delusional, I haven't done enough research to see if the 9a1 is reliable.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Congrats! I'm a couple of steps behind you. Currently regretting the cab and thinking of selling. Did you consider a 997? If I stay with Porsche, I think my next is going to be a 997.2 coupe - I'd like to avoid all the preventative maintenance next time. Maybe I'm delusional, I haven't done enough research to see if the 9a1 is reliable.
Nope, did not consider 997 at all... I had tunnel vision for a 996.1 coupe, and this Millennium Edition was literally screaming at me to buy it... Plus, the seller was kind-of holding the car for me as I knew about four months before I bought it. He had it listed on eBay three separate times and it never met reserve. Then I called him and we spoke for a good while as I thought he might even be interested in a trade. He considered it for a bit, but he already had his 996 ME and other cars to cover the convertible itch. (including an SCCA vintage spec MGB race car and a Maserati Cambiacorsa).

If you can afford a 997.2, I can see why that is an enticing car. Personally, if I could afford 997.2 money and the space to own two 911's, I'd probably lean towards keeping the 996 cab and adding an early MY99 coupe to the garage, and then letting the weather, the event or my choice of clothes for the day decide which I drive... Then again, I am also from the camp that firmly thinks the early MY99 cars will eventually be the first "normal" 996's to go up in value. Since you already have the cab, you can take your dear sweet time and hold out until you find a really early build date car in good shape and all of the options you really want. Even with the PM involved, that's going to be a hellova lot cheaper (for 95% same car) than a 997.2 and you're buying at the much better side of the depreciation curve.

But, if you're dead set on selling your cab in the near term, make it happen sooner than later... There are no 996's on bringatrailer.com right now, and tax time & convertible season are converging! There really is no better time than the present to sell a convertible P-car. With no 996's in the hopper at BaT you should not have to wait long to get your car up for auction.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

NIce!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually love the cab - I just don't get to drive it very much because of the same reasons you got rid of yours. Ideally, I'd convince the wife to get something better for a family car. I'll likely be holding on to the cab for at least another year - I paid all my preventative maintenance dues and I don't want to pay them again so soon.

I'm hoping the 997.2 prices will be in the 30's by time I'm ready next year. Congrats again on the purchase.

Quick Reply: Sold my Cab... got a Millennium Edition coupe!