Feedback on 996 with relatively high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
I buy/sell a lot of cars and motorcycles. My point is, you can NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER take a CL ad at face value. Especially an ad with just a few sentences.

Your blanketed claim about, "oh just buy this and this" (based on a crappy CL ad) has really little value on educating potential buyers about what they can be getting themselves into.
I bought my $16k 996 of a crappy CL ad(what makes it crappy?), and it's a nice car. Only thing it needed when I bought it was rad cleaning. I've bought a lot of cars too, if you want to start comparing lists. But - if you have further info(as you alluded), I'm all ears.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I bought my $16k 996 of a crappy CL ad(what makes it crappy?), and it's a nice car. Only thing it needed when I bought it was rad cleaning. I've bought a lot of cars too, if you want to start comparing lists. But - if you have further info(as you alluded), I'm all ears.
A 'crappy ad' is one that is short, and non-detailed. This is a 911, not a Honda civic. Nothing can be assumed.

How about detailing any current issues with the car, Any codes thrown, options code list, shape of tires/brakes/consumables?

When I read a short non descriptive ad, my experience says the seller is hiding something.

IMO, i'm usually right.

Not saying there aren't any under priced gems out there, but they are far and few.

Last edited by stan23; 03-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by anorphirith
I also tried to negotiate and they wouldn't bulge stating that they could get just as much trading it to a Porsche dealer who would flip it for more ...
Right....Porsche dealers just shuffle these cars to auction as quick as they can. They have no interest in reselling 17 year old cars....particularly with the..ahem...peculiarities of this series.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 PM
MOWMOW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do be scared

I purchased a 99 with 116k

So far:

AOS $900
Water Pump $800
Spark Plugs/Tubes $300
Did Motor mounts DIY $140

You do need to budget for repairs but it's well worth it.
The 996 is the ugly stepchild....but still a Porsche
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your boat a few months ago. My budget was around $16k but after looking for a couple of months I decided to up my budget a bit to $20k. I was able to find my 2002 cabriolet with less than 60k miles on it. I would keep looking, even if you have to travel a bit to find it!!

PS - Your WAY better off going private party if you can. Many dealers buy the cars at auction and its usually the ones with black eyes.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with drive a bunch of them, so you'll know something one way or the other. Ragged cars give themselves away pretty quickly on a drive.
I bought a '99 with over 100k on it without a PPI or a shred of history other than verbal. Well, there was a Blackstone analysis that was 2 yrs old, but that was it. Said he "briefly gave in to the paranoia". Nice home, nice garage, nice guy -he had it for 8 years, garaged/covered along with 3-4 other real nice cars. I drove it and bought it, it's been great. I got it to use mostly daily, and I have, it's been fantastic. It made the weekly one hour drive to the cancer clinic at Vanderbilt a whole lot more fun. I've been cancer free for two years, and the 911 is still going strong!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:00 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents but for that price with 133k miles I'd expect excellent paint with minor if any imperfections anywhere in or out. As you describe it I'd say $12k would be more like it.

Quick Reply: Feedback on 996 with relatively high mileage