Sponsored by:

How to disconnect Tiptronic and remove

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 AM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to disconnect Tiptronic and remove

Ok. The Tiptronic/engine unit is almost ready to be dropped. Just the trans mount and rear bolts holding it in. Almost everything else removed or disconnected.

I have read the few posts about removing a Tiptronic. However, just wanted to ask..."How is the shift linkage attached to the transmission"? I can see the mechanism moving, and assume that the shift linkage just "pops" off the ball on the shift mechanism on the transmission. It is jammed in there pretty good and I see some connections with clips. Just don't want to screw stuff up.

Also, I am replacing the engine with another one. Anything else I need to know about moving the torque converter to the new engine or removing the trans from the car, along with the engine at the same time. This is my first time, but I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by TNT63Falcon; 03-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Does it look like this? http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=320-06
The 99-01 is different. You didn't say what year.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

My apologies,......it is a 2002 996 Tip

Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I think that ball socket doesn't come apart, but, a wrench on the flats of the ball socket to hold it, then loosen the stop nut on the shaft, then the shaft will spin out of the ball socket/linkage. If need be, remove the two flat spring clips and pull the linkage apart (see diagram). That will allow the linkage to swing free on the pivot point which may give you enough "pivot" to get the threaded shaft all the way out of the ball socket. But hell, I'm only guessing.

From this diagram, it doesn't show clip or anything holding the ball socket on the linkage http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=701-01

So maybe it does pry off the shaft? Sorry, have not done this, so no experience, and my 996 Group Manual for Tiptronic pdf file is corrupted so I can't look it up.

Ironically, the first diagram shows a M8 x 30 round head screw and a sleeve on that part of the linkage. But I don't make out a screw in your pictures. Confused...

I looked at the Pelican Parts Tech Articles and did not find one on Tiptronic removal. However, there is one on the MANUAL transmission removal and you just pry off the shift linkage with a large screwdriver, Figure 6 here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...on_Removal.htm

Last edited by DBJoe996; 03-15-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Yeah, the book only shows a manual transmission and most of the info on the internet deals with them as well. Tiptronic info is scarce, which is why I thought I would reach out. I am sure someone here has the info that has done it before.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

If I recall I left the ball and socket on the l shaped bracket, and removed the c clip, and the 2 other retainers and pivot point and took it apart like that. As for the torque converter, installing it is pretty straight forward, but be warned that there are a few clicks that the torque converter must be splined into. If the converter is not fully seated(splines lined up) and you tighten it up to the engine, you may damage it(probably). The last set of splines is tricke, I would suggest measuring how far the converter is back from the bellhousing face for reference before removing trans. Not sure if the '02 is the 722.6 Mercedes trans or the ZF tip, I was working on the 722.6
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Ok. Going to finish the project today. What little I can find talks about disconnecting the ball and socket. Just pry them apart. If this is wrong, please chime in. Thx!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:13 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Probably not wrong, but I was concerned that thastic may be old and break.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Ok...got the shift cable popped off the ball and socket connection. It took a little prying, but it came off.

However.....I am in desperate need of information on the proper removal of the tiptronic on the 2002 996. I could start ripping into it blind, but I am SURE that there are some folks on here that have done it and can provide me some needed advice and instructions.

I tried to order the manuals off of Ebay....but wouldn't you know it...the section that deals with Automatic Transmission is WRONG.....they have scanned and provided information for a Boxster. Two vendors...same thing. Wrong information.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Success. Engine and Tiptronic removed successfully. Now I just need to separate the two and put the Top on the replacement engine.

Jacked up rear of car high enough to pull engine out on dolly (for ease of moving around)

Had the trans sitting on a Harbor Freight transmission jack. Worked beautifully. Lowered engine a little, then lowered transmission a little. Kept doing that a couple of inches at a time.

Easy to move the big unit around on the trans jack and pallet.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:58 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Well that is the 722 Mercedes transmission, removal is precast straight forward with the bell housing bolts, there are 3 torque converter bolts .there should be an access to them on the bottom side of the trans. I'm not exactly sure, as the car I have has a v8 in it, and it was already disassembled. These are the two sets of bolts that need to be taken out and the two can be separated.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:32 PM
The-W
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic removal

Can anybody assist with removing automatic transmission from 2000 911 996. I have followed all steps from Pelican as shown below along with other required steps, but not moving. Wondering if automatic has any other steps not listed.

Originally Posted by TNT63Falcon
Ok. The Tiptronic/engine unit is almost ready to be dropped. Just the trans mount and rear bolts holding it in. Almost everything else removed or disconnected.

I have read the few posts about removing a Tiptronic. However, just wanted to ask..."How is the shift linkage attached to the transmission"? I can see the mechanism moving, and assume that the shift linkage just "pops" off the ball on the shift mechanism on the transmission. It is jammed in there pretty good and I see some connections with clips. Just don't want to screw stuff up.

Also, I am replacing the engine with another one. Anything else I need to know about moving the torque converter to the new engine or removing the trans from the car, along with the engine at the same time. This is my first time, but I see light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:43 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

You are asking a very generic non-specific question. I for one do not know what specific steps Pelican is suggesting. I have never needed to refer to that procedure.

Can you rephrase the question into something very specific?
Old 11-23-2022, 08:00 PM
The-W
6th Gear

Default Reply tiptronic removal

Thanks in advance- I am looking for step by step guide to remove the automatic transmission while still attached to the engine. All videos, manuals, etc. are for manual transmissions, so trying to determine if other than there being no clutch slave cylinder and different transmission cables if there any other differences that may be preventing transmission from dropping.

Thanks,
Mike
Originally Posted by yelcab
You are asking a very generic non-specific question. I for one do not know what specific steps Pelican is suggesting. I have never needed to refer to that procedure. Can you rephrase the question into something very specific?
​​​​​​​
Old 11-23-2022, 08:03 PM
The-W
6th Gear

Default Reply tiptronic removal

Thanks in advance- I am looking for step by step guide to remove the automatic transmission while still attached to the engine. All videos, manuals, etc. are for manual transmissions, so trying to determine if other than there being no clutch slave cylinder and different transmission cables if there any other differences that may be preventing transmission from dropping.

Thanks,
Mike
Originally Posted by yelcab
You are asking a very generic non-specific question. I for one do not know what specific steps Pelican is suggesting. I have never needed to refer to that procedure. Can you rephrase the question into something very specific?

Quick Reply: How to disconnect Tiptronic and remove