Seat moves to unwanted position

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 PM
antrn99
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat moves to unwanted position

Hi

Help... everytime I open the car the seat goes to a different setting than I want it to. I tried holding down the lock button and pushing the M1 button with no luck. Unless you know of another way or sequence.

What do you think is the issue?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by antrn99
Hi

Help... everytime I open the car the seat goes to a different setting than I want it to. I tried holding down the lock button and pushing the M1 button with no luck. Unless you know of another way or sequence.

Thanks
try doing that with the key in the ignition and ignition in the on position. I think it needs to be saved to that key.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Hi

Thanks

Be encouraged... there was a guy with a similar problem here on Rennlist where his seat would recline back while driving down the road. Can you imagine the scene? Driving ... just chillin' like a villain with your arm out the window trying to look cool in front of the ladies when all of a sudden, your 996 gets possessed and the seat slowly reclines backwards on it's own. ha!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
antrn99
Track Day

Tried with the key on also. No luck. Anyone else have this issue or know of the solution.

b3freak...funny post. I can see that in my mind.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Tried with the key on also. No luck. Anyone else have this issue or know of the solution.

b3freak...funny post. I can see that in my mind.
If the seat moves to another position when you unlock the car the seat position is programmed into memory associated with the key.

You need to clear this memory. My Turbo has seat memory and IIRC mirror memory too and the left outside memory dips when I shift the transmission into reverse.

I haven't messed with seat memory since shortly after I got the car back in 2009 and I don't remember the exact steps but I had to clear seat memory then I saved the seat position to memory and it has been good ever since.

The owners manual has a section on this and I followed the instructions in the owners manual.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Disconnecting the battery (or letting it go flat) always resets our memory settings, you could try that.

Might get the health of the battery checked. The 996 doesn't seem as nuts as the newer Porsches, but weird things can happen when you have a bad battery.

You might also try a new battery in the key too.

Any chance water has gotten to the security module? Lots of weird gremlins come out when those get wet.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Try programming all of the memory buttons to the same position.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was dealing with this last week and no amount of key clearing or anything would work. I ended up swapping keys with the spare and luckily the spare isn't programmed. I read on here that this happens sometimes where the key memory just won't clear no matter what, and you have to get a new computer somethin or other for like $1400 or some nonsense. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM
DaMann
Advanced

Have the same issues. I can program the two seat positions but both keys will not program. Total pain in the ***. From what I read you need a new module which is expensive. The only thing I can do now to stop it from moving when I unlock the door is to have one hand on the handle and one on the unlock button on the fob. As soon as I click unlock I pull the door handle and the seat won't move. Of course this means you have to be right at the car when unlocking the door but it beats having to reach down and hit a seat button to stop it from moving every time you open the door.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
I was dealing with this last week and no amount of key clearing or anything would work. I ended up swapping keys with the spare and luckily the spare isn't programmed. I read on here that this happens sometimes where the key memory just won't clear no matter what, and you have to get a new computer somethin or other for like $1400 or some nonsense. Good luck.
It took me a couple of tries to get the seat memory clear so I could then store new seat settings into memory. At one point I gave up and lived with it for a while then tried it again and was successful.

Haven't needed to look into this but I would expect a tech with a Porsche diagnostics computer would be able to clear the memory possibly even store seat position to the seat memory. It might be worth the cost to have this done, or at least attempted so you know if the "computer" or whatever is bad.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Some interesting issues/solutions here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...at-memory.html
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As weird as it seems, my problem was fixed when the gauge cluster was re-programmed. Look at the thread here

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13797686

Quick Reply: Seat moves to unwanted position