996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Solution question

Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Both. I would not do business with either company unless there were no other alternatives. But lucky for them there are plenty of people that don't feel the same way as I do.
What do you think Jake would say if you sent him a Solution and asked him to use it for the build you have on his books? I'd bet he'd give you some creative other places to install said bearing

I see no problem with shops having such a policy. Their markup on parts is part of how they stay in business. So the real question is what they are charging for parts. If it's a reasonable markup I'm OK with it and if not, like you said, there are other shops.

Most shops (at least any one I've ever dealt with long enough to build a relationship) will also generally allow you to supply some parts if you have a good relationship with them.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The local shop here in SLC (the only one in the state that's certified for the Solution installs) doesn't allow customers to bring parts. They'd go out of business if they lost their parts markup. They also charge $100/hr for labor, so I'm hoping to eventually reach an agreement with them where I can do stuff with no parts markup and just higher labor costs.

I'm more than happy to give a decent $ figure to them to make it worth their while, but given the myriad of available parts on the market it can be a big PITA having to decide between different upgrade strategies when you can't get a quote.

For example, right now I want to upgrade my suspension but have no clue what they want for it. I've asked twice and they won't give a quote - despite me telling them in very clear terms they're the only shop I'll work with b/c of the LN certification. I can see being defensive about the busines, but fknA, I want to be a long term customer and know what I'm getting into cost-wise before I pull the trigger. Playing games with quotes and charging a superficially low labor rate seems like an odd way to run a shop. But, it's not my shop so I respect the process & don't hassle them.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

All these discussions, to me, revolve around the same premise of "value" vs "expense". We face this every day in just about everything we do, from fast food vs gourmet food, designer jeans vs Levis or Costco jeans, makeup, for the ladies, Hyundai vs Bentley, etc etc etc and including IMS bearings! So make your choice and be happy with it. I am 100% certain that "The Solution" performed by Jake Raby's shop or a certified shop is the best insurance you can buy but many can't justify that expense and go a different route. Both good choices. Some prefer to gamble that the original bearing will last and are rewarded with a long lasting vehicle. Bad choice? Not for them. Some aren't so lucky. Here's my take, do what's good for you and enjoy the heck out of your car. These cars are simply a joy to drive. It's killing me that it's going to snow tomorrow meaning I may not be able to drive her for a week or 2 but I will survive!!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
The local shop here in SLC (the only one in the state that's certified for the Solution installs) doesn't allow customers to bring parts. They'd go out of business if they lost their parts markup. They also charge $100/hr for labor, so I'm hoping to eventually reach an agreement with them where I can do stuff with no parts markup and just higher labor costs.

I'm more than happy to give a decent $ figure to them to make it worth their while, but given the myriad of available parts on the market it can be a big PITA having to decide between different upgrade strategies when you can't get a quote.

For example, right now I want to upgrade my suspension but have no clue what they want for it. I've asked twice and they won't give a quote - despite me telling them in very clear terms they're the only shop I'll work with b/c of the LN certification. I can see being defensive about the busines, but fknA, I want to be a long term customer and know what I'm getting into cost-wise before I pull the trigger. Playing games with quotes and charging a superficially low labor rate seems like an odd way to run a shop. But, it's not my shop so I respect the process & don't hassle them.
When I was doing my research, the local (75 miles away) certified shop was really great. They sent a detailed quote and I felt no pressure to accept or decline. I went another route but if someone wanted to do "The Solution" I would not hesitate to recommend them. I'm in northern NJ and they are located in eastern PA.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
What do you think Jake would say if you sent him a Solution and asked him to use it for the build you have on his books? I'd bet he'd give you some creative other places to install said bearing

I see no problem with shops having such a policy. Their markup on parts is part of how they stay in business. So the real question is what they are charging for parts. If it's a reasonable markup I'm OK with it and if not, like you said, there are other shops.

Most shops (at least any one I've ever dealt with long enough to build a relationship) will also generally allow you to supply some parts if you have a good relationship with them.
If it's new in box and they won't install it then they are just being asses. They can easily add the extra they would make by supplying the part to the quote for installation and make the exact same amount of profit.

As for Jake, he has been extremely accommodating in working with people that supplied some of the bolt on parts. And as for the Solution itself, if you are a Rennlister and he's rebuilding your engine, you won't find it anyplace cheaper than from him.

There's good, there's fast, and there's cheap. I expect two out of the three when I deal with a shop. I've only found two that have lived up to this expectation and Flat6 is one of them. The rest I've been lucky to get one of the three out of.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
If it's new in box and they won't install it then they are just being asses. They can easily add the extra they would make by supplying the part to the quote for installation and make the exact same amount of profit.

As for Jake, he has been extremely accommodating in working with people that supplied some of the bolt on parts. And as for the Solution itself, if you are a Rennlister and he's rebuilding your engine, you won't find it anyplace cheaper than from him.

There's good, there's fast, and there's cheap. I expect two out of the three when I deal with a shop. I've only found two that have lived up to this expectation and Flat6 is one of them. The rest I've been lucky to get one of the three out of.
^^Kind of agree, but I understand how it's different on the other end of the deal. You dealing with FSI is two parties that have rapport & know the other side isn't a complete schnoz. Any given mechanic, especially a shop owner, needs to be pretty careful to protect the business from unethical or simply incompetent SOBs. Ex. part doesn't fit, no refund & customer blows up social media while refusing to pay labor for failed install due to customer's idiocy.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 AM
njim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a car home today and did 100 miles drive. This is the first time that I felt confident to drive a 996 without worry much about breaking my bank. I hope that it will be a good car to own for awhile, I will drive it more and more to enjoy it.

For those lucky ones who live close to the certified installers so you could see that it is much easier for you but when it comes to me, it was a very tough decision to make. I wanted to share some number so you will see what I mean.

-IMS Solution from the certified installer. $4k-5k
-Clutch kit and fly wheel from $1.5-2.3k
-RMS and Tranny seals (Should not charge on labor) but an estimate was $800
-Ship the car back and forth from $1.5k-2k.
-Water Pump and Thermostat from $1,800 $2300 (parts cost around $500). I could handle this job for 3 hours of free time.

Here is a reason that I choose a local Indy: If I shipped my car out for the IMS solution, I need to spend $1.5-$2k for shipping if the car is not certified then the money that I spent for shipping would be gone.

Thank you all for your support!

Last edited by njim3; 03-14-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks for sharing and keep on driving!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Esfoad
Racer

What ^^^^^^ He said!! Drive her like you stole her!!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome! Glad to hear you're up and running. $800 for RMS seems insane if the transmission and flywheel are already removed. Maybe they were quoting the job on its own? If that's the case, that isn't a terrible price. Or, maybe they've had a history of replacing seals and having to redo it because they keep leaking, so they figure there is a high probability they'll need to get back in there and this is their form of insurance?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
njim3
Instructor

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Awesome! Glad to hear you're up and running. $800 for RMS seems insane if the transmission and flywheel are already removed. Maybe they were quoting the job on its own? If that's the case, that isn't a terrible price. Or, maybe they've had a history of replacing seals and having to redo it because they keep leaking, so they figure there is a high probability they'll need to get back in there and this is their form of insurance?
I was talking about the add-on stuffs after the tranny was out. the clutch and flywheel kit will cost around $1.5 in part but the mark up could go up to $2,300.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njim3
I took a car home today and did 100 miles drive. This is the first time that I felt confident to drive a 996 without worry much about breaking my bank. I hope that it will be a good car to own for awhile, I will drive it more and more to enjoy it.

For those lucky ones who live close to the certified installers so you could see that it is much easier for you but when it comes to me, it was a very tough decision to make. I wanted to share some number so you will see what I mean.

-IMS Solution from the certified installer. $4k-5k
-Clutch kit and fly wheel from $1.5-2.3k
-RMS and Tranny seals (Should not charge on labor) but an estimate was $800
-Ship the car back and forth from $1.5k-2k.
-Water Pump and Thermostat from $1,800 $2300 (parts cost around $500). I could handle this job for 3 hours of free time.

Here is a reason that I choose a local Indy: If I shipped my car out for the IMS solution, I need to spend $1.5-$2k for shipping if the car is not certified then the money that I spent for shipping would be gone.

Thank you all for your support!
Which shop did you take it too, and what was the OTD cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

The following users liked this post:
blacksquid (07-09-2020)
Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
LOL!

"There's always someone out there willing to do it cheaper. Always keep in mind that good handwork costs good money."
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
njim3
Instructor

An expensive work does not mean that it will always be better. I also agree that the cheap job is not recommended for the important works. I have my cars service at the dealer, it is expensive but the jobs were OK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS Solution question