996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to change outside temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Ovikestad
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change outside temperature?

hi,
does anyone know how to change the outside temperature from fahrenheit to celcius on a 99 C2 without the computer control lever?
Got it changed on the AC but not the outside temp..
Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't believe you can. Holding the clock **** to the left for a few seconds switches between km and miles, but doesn't change temperature units.

Last edited by dkraige; 03-09-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Ovikestad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dkraige
I don't believe you can. Holding hte clock **** to the left for a few seconds switches between km and miles, but doesn't change temperature units.

Hmm, posible a porsche dealer can do it with a computer maybe??
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Where do you even have the option to display outside temperature? I have a 99 and have not seen that before
Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Ovikestad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Where do you even have the option to display outside temperature? I have a 99 and have not seen that before

I have it in dhe display under the rpm gauge, where I also have the digital speed mph/kmh
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

The Onboard computer system was an option, but it actually came as part of the standard build, just not enabled unless you paid for it. That package also included a fourth stalk on the steering wheel that would allow you to toggle through the various displays. Many dealers enabled it via software as a favor and set it so the temperature was displayed. I've heard that you can enable it with a Durametric, but I never tried that. Once turned on, you can add the fourth stalk or add a button to the dash to allow you to toggle through the other data points. Or you can leave it with the outside temperature displayed at all times.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Celcius?? That is for simians.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
There once was a nun.
How is it going with that nun in the wheelchair?!
hahahaha!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 PM
longrowe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OBC can be enabled with Durametric. There is a toggle for it I believe in the cluster section. But for those '99 people with no OBC stalk, all you get is the outside temperature. Mine reads in Celcius since I am not in the US. I will need to hook up my system to see if there was a way to change the display type.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a '99 also. I knew nothing of the on board computer (OBD). A few weeks into ownership I was curious why I would see other pictures with dash displays with temp., avegage MPH, speed alert, and distance to empty. Mine was stuck on the "---" display which is part of the speed alert function. This I soon learned was the result of my computer being switched on, but I lacked the 4th stalk to control it.

I researched and found that buying a 4th stalk, and wire harness cost around $160.00. Got the stalk from ebay, and the harness from a guy in the forum who makes them to OEM spec.

I installed it myself. And I don't know sh*t about electronics. But as usual, good threads of DIY's and patience, and it turned out fine.

I either started a thread or contributed to a thread about this. Would be happy to assist you on helping you do yours. There are a few things to watch out for that I can advise you of. And I can steer you to the must have DIY and videos to guide you.

PM me with your number if interested.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Ovikestad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rolex11
I have a '99 also. I knew nothing of the on board computer (OBD). A few weeks into ownership I was curious why I would see other pictures with dash displays with temp., avegage MPH, speed alert, and distance to empty. Mine was stuck on the "---" display which is part of the speed alert function. This I soon learned was the result of my computer being switched on, but I lacked the 4th stalk to control it.

I researched and found that buying a 4th stalk, and wire harness cost around $160.00. Got the stalk from ebay, and the harness from a guy in the forum who makes them to OEM spec.

I installed it myself. And I don't know sh*t about electronics. But as usual, good threads of DIY's and patience, and it turned out fine.

I either started a thread or contributed to a thread about this. Would be happy to assist you on helping you do yours. There are a few things to watch out for that I can advise you of. And I can steer you to the must have DIY and videos to guide you.

PM me with your number if interested.
So you have a video of how to install it??
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Ovikestad
So you have a video of how to install it??
I say video because maybe I have one on how to remove the instrument cluster properly. But, no I did not make a video of me doing this. Wish I would have, in hindsight. But I do have all the links to pictures and threads that I used to get the job done. Actually that was the most difficult part, all the research of how to do it, what is needed to do it, and where to get the parts. That took me a week or so to gather until I got to a point where I felt comfortable doing it without to much fear of f'ing up my new cars electronics.

And by the way...installing the 4th stalk does not require removing the steering wheel or air bag....
Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Ovikestad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rolex11
I say video because maybe I have one on how to remove the instrument cluster properly. But, no I did not make a video of me doing this. Wish I would have, in hindsight. But I do have all the links to pictures and threads that I used to get the job done. Actually that was the most difficult part, all the research of how to do it, what is needed to do it, and where to get the parts. That took me a week or so to gather until I got to a point where I felt comfortable doing it without to much fear of f'ing up my new cars electronics.

And by the way...installing the 4th stalk does not require removing the steering wheel or air bag....
pm
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Ovikestad
pm
Responded to your PM, I'll use your personal email from here forward.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added the 4th stalk without removing the wheel. A durametric will not work on a 99 for activating the on board computer. On the 99's the durametric all but sucks. You can read basic codes with it, but other than that it's garbage. Durametric will attempt to tell you there is a problem with your car, when in fact the problem is with their unit.

Last edited by m3driver; 03-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: How to change outside temperature?