Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Leak From Bell Housing - Does it cause damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Leak From Bell Housing - Does it cause damage?

So I was just doing the final step of installing my engine, bleeding the brakes/clutch (full story in this thread: )https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ft-begins.html)

Shortly after pressurizing the system to 15PSI with the Motiv, I started to hear a leak. Brake fluid was leaking from where the bell housing mounts to the engine.

Obviously the slave cylinder failed in a spectacular fashion (knew I should have swapped that out before reinstalling).

Do I need to worry about where that fluid ended up? I'm guessing when these fail, this is how they fail, and the fluid ends up in the housing, but do I need to worry about my brand new pressure plate, clutch, flywheel? Would really prefer not to pull the tranny.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unless you pumped gallons of it under 500psi into the bellhousing it will drain out/seep /drip etc. no worries .....doubtful it reached the disc by splash
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you did put the throw-out bearing fork on the trans ?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
you did put the throw-out bearing fork on the trans ?
Yes.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I re-installed my transmission the clutch cylinder wasn't properly seated and then exploded when I tested the pedal. It was a huge mess. I cleaned it up a bit when I disassembled everything, put it back together, no issues at all.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I re-installed my transmission the clutch cylinder wasn't properly seated and then exploded when I tested the pedal. It was a huge mess. I cleaned it up a bit when I disassembled everything, put it back together, no issues at all.
Great. Thanks. After just getting the engine in, the last thing I want to do is drop the trans. To think I was 30 minutes away from being able to drive it. Now I need to wait until Saturday since the new part will not be here until Friday.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I feel for you man. I'm becoming way more proficient at pulling/installing the tranny then I ever wanted to be. Both I gushed two slave cylinders due to lack of fork, both went to back together and worked fine.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak From Bell Housing - Does it cause damage?