996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner - Synchro Ring DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Do yourself a favor and source parts from someone other than Pelican - you'll probably save a few hundred $$. www.warehouse33.com is a good one (though the site navigation kind of sucks...) and he gives Rennlist users 10% discount. There are plenty of others out there as well - Pelican is convenient, but some of the prices are just silly. Good luck
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

928sRus is a vendor that can get ANY Porsche part for ANY model. They specialize in 928s but they can get others at a much better price than pretty much any other Porsche parts vendor. Roger the owner is a very straight up guy, as honest as they come, highly respected in the 928 community. He is an old fashioned vendor so their website needs major overhaul but don't let that scare you. Send him an email with the parts you need or just simply call him.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 AM
msteiner805
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
That clutch looks about half worn, maybe a little more. Since you do all your work, reinstalling it is not a terrible choice. I would at least reline the disk or get a new one and install a new release bearing. The pressure plate looks normal for a used clutch. Too far is when the rivets dig into the flywheel or pressure plate. By the way, a release bearing from a '97 Audi A4 is the same as the one for the 996 (I've used it on my own car) but at a fraction of the cost (doesn't have the Porsche badge premium)

Next time if you need to remove the torque tube on the 928, the transmission doesn't need to come out, Just disconnect the transmission mounts and push the transmission back a few inches and the front will clear the bell housing. The parking brake cables will need to be disconnected from the rear cross member too.
Thanks! I'm on the fence with the clutch replacement, but, I'm leaning towards replacement.

Really cool tip on the release bearing! I just bought one from LuK for < $20. Thank You!

The TT job was interesting as I had the tapered driver shaft (which, apparently is longer and weaker), and, when I pushed the trans back, the shaft at the front never even came close to coming out of the bell housing .Then I tried to un-bolt the front bell housing, but, I couldn't get at that top, drivers side, bolt. So, the path of least resistance was drop the trans. I'm still thinking of a way to get at that front bell housing bolt LOL.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 AM
msteiner805
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
Do yourself a favor and source parts from someone other than Pelican - you'll probably save a few hundred $$. www.warehouse33.com is a good one (though the site navigation kind of sucks...) and he gives Rennlist users 10% discount. There are plenty of others out there as well - Pelican is convenient, but some of the prices are just silly. Good luck
Will do! I use pelican for the project tutorials and for their project list tracking. I tend to spread my money around to a few vendors as well.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 AM
msteiner805
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
928sRus is a vendor that can get ANY Porsche part for ANY model. They specialize in 928s but they can get others at a much better price than pretty much any other Porsche parts vendor. Roger the owner is a very straight up guy, as honest as they come, highly respected in the 928 community. He is an old fashioned vendor so their website needs major overhaul but don't let that scare you. Send him an email with the parts you need or just simply call him.
Thanks for this as well! I called Roger a bunch when I was going through my 928. Really really helpful, can't say enough good things. I didn't know he provides 911 stuff... I'll start shopping with him as well for my 911 needs.

Mike
Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 AM
msteiner805
Instructor

Default Today's Update

Got a look at the IMS and RMS and then Cleaning and more cleaning today.

The RMS was leaking (thin bead of wetness around the seal) so I pulled it and will replace. The IMS area looked ok - nothing wet. The oil from the RMS spread out all over but there were no wet spots near the IMS. I have a few days to decide what to do about the IMS bearing, but as of today, I leaning towards leaving it alone.

In general, I'm torn on this IMS thing... I'd rather replace it with a double row part, but the only reasonable alternative (cost wise) is the pelican parts kit with a single row bearing. I don't think a bearing needs to be > $100 at the most. Not sure what to do? Suggestions welcome...

Also, to the right and above the trans is this thingy below - its spewing some oil and I'm not sure what it is. What is it, and what do I need to fix?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 AM
msteiner805
Instructor

Default IMS Decision

Edit: See following post - I'd rather not focus on the IMS solutions here, but, I will be replacing it with what I believe is best.

Hi Everyone,

After thinking about this IMS thing more and more, I've decided to replace the IMS bearing. But, I am going to try source my own double-row bearing. If that proves difficult, I will purchase the pelican parts IMS kit.

So I went looking for a suitable bearing with the following requirements:

- 5204 2rs (sealed)
- Double Row
- Steel cage (temperature 150C)
- ABEC 3 (or higher) - is this really needed? Is ABEC 1 ok?
- 10000 rpms
- dynamic load rating of 5000 lbs

Does anyone know any sources? I'm found the following on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Not sure about the above... Getting quotes in from other manufacturers as well.

Mike

Last edited by msteiner805; 03-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Beware letting this become yet another IMSB thread which will derail your thoughtful Postings.
We have been deep into the diy IMSB story many times. It does not always end well because there is more to the issue than the spec of the bearing.
As a bench mark I suggest you consider the kits offered by RND. That story will end well.
http://rndengines.com/roller-bearing-ims-retrofit-kit/
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
msteiner805
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Beware letting this become yet another IMSB thread which will derail your thoughtful Postings.
We have been deep into the diy IMSB story many times. It does not always end well because there is more to the issue than the spec of the bearing.
As a bench mark I suggest you consider the kits offered by RND. That story will end well.
http://rndengines.com/roller-bearing-ims-retrofit-kit/
Yes! You're right and thanks - no more IMS talk here and I will solve this and put in the solution that I think is best. In any case, this car will have a new IMS bearing installed this week.

From this point forward, I will focus on transmission issues

Regards,
Mike
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Thank you for the praise, I agree the current website does suck but I'm fixing that right now with a totally brand new website. I'm testing the new one, just trying to get all the bugs fixed on it before it goes live.

-Jason
Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Jason, While you are in there fixing the Warehouse 33 web site, Here's a problem to fix. I bought some parts from Warehouse 33 over the weekend . When I try to connect to your site via Firefox ,I am blocked !
"The owner of www.warehouse33auto.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."
This may just cut into your sales?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Jason, While you are in there fixing the Warehouse 33 web site, Here's a problem to fix. I bought some parts from Warehouse 33 over the weekend . When I try to connect to your site via Firefox ,I am blocked !
"The owner of www.warehouse33auto.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."
This may just cut into your sales?
Hmmm that's strange I just tested it on Firefox on my PC and seems to work for me. Maybe you have a Warehouse 33 blocker? Was it from an MAC or PC?
The new website will be a completely new site and on Rackspace servers so speed should be better too.
And thank you for your business, I think your parts will arrive tomorrow.

-Jason
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Blazing Fast delivery, the correct parts and 10% off too .Thank you Jason !
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Blazing Fast delivery, the correct parts and 10% off too .Thank you Jason !
No thank you!

-Jason
Old 03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
msteiner805
Instructor

Default Update 3/24/2017

Hi All,
Made some progress on several fronts.

- New AOS installed. This job wasn't fun. Even from the transmission tunnel, I struggled to get those crimp-clamps off. Took a couple hours, but, new AOS!

- Replaced the IMS bearing. This job wasn't too bad. I took some extra time as I made all my own tools. Pulling the bearing out was tough. It was the double row and it took a lot of wrench force to get it out. Managed to slip the wrench when I was pulling it and got a nice dent in my nose

Pictures below.

New AOS, man this was a pain...

Handmade cam locks. $5 of 4mm metal bar and 30 minutes with the jigsaw.

Hardware store bearing puller. A 2" coupler and about $12 worth of solid bolts/washers.

Dual row bearing came out with seals intact. Seemed to be in good shape.

Bearings all looked good... not sure if I replaced a perfectly good part, but, its nice to have piece of mind.

All sealed up with. Some of you may recognize where I got this stuff

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner - Synchro Ring DIY